Hi(ish) Gain Single Coil Tones

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Hi(ish) Gain Single Coil Tones

Post by JD01 »

Was listening to some early Pearl Jam yesterday, probably the first time that I've really listened to the first album and thought about the mix - the remixed version of the album is much better 'cos its not all soaked in 80s reverb. The guitars are also hard panned so you can hear what is going on - and I decided that I was going to do a cover - figured they're pretty tricky songs to play and the arrangement is interesting so it should be a difficult mix.

Stone Gossard's tone is easy enough - sounds like a Les Paul with a decent crunch.
Mike McCready's tone is doing my head in though. Its a pretty gnarly hi-gain tone but I think he's using a strat. I've never played hi-gain with single coils - I tried recording yesterday with the in-between sound on my Tele with higher gain and in the mix it still sounded really plinky plonky and low gain. Maybe I just need to go really crazy with it and push it much harder!

Anyone else tried higher gain tones with single coils? I normally go for an edge of breakup sound when playing my tele.

Oh, I found an isolated bass sound from the mix - really overdriven tone and I think I've got that sounding dead good.
Greg_L

Re: Hi(ish) Gain Single Coil Tones

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:13 am - I tried recording yesterday with the in-between sound on my Tele
There's your problem. Use the bridge pickup.

I've recorded tons of high-ish gain stuff with Strats, P90s, and now Mosrites. All single coils. If you can get around the hum and buzz, single coils can sound great gained up.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:17 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:13 am - I tried recording yesterday with the in-between sound on my Tele
There's your problem. Use the bridge pickup.
Yeah, I'll have another bash at it later this afternoon if I get time. The tele does need way more gain that the Crimson though.
I was hoping to get that straty in-between "position 2" sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:19 am The tele does need way more gain that the Crimson though.
Naturally. A single coil won't push an amp as hard as a humbucker.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:26 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:19 am The tele does need way more gain that the Crimson though.
Naturally. A single coil won't push an amp as hard as a humbucker.
Yeah, my brain knows that, but I think I've always been happy when double tracking guitars for my tele to be way lower gain than my Crimson and just have them sit in a mix together - caught me off guard just how much I was going to have to add. If I get a usable take I'll post some tones later this afternoon
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:30 am
Yeah, my brain knows that, but I think I've always been happy when double tracking guitars for my tele to be way lower gain than my Crimson and just have them sit in a mix together - caught me off guard just how much I was going to have to add. If I get a usable take I'll post some tones later this afternoon
Before I started gobbling up guitars a good chunk of my earlier recordings were an SG and a Strat because that's all I had. I never liked playing the Strat but it sounded and recorded fine.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Fundamental difference between a strat and a tele though in terms of tone. Lots of good high gain stuff from strats over the years, but teles always sound a bit scratchy to me. Good for medium crunchiness but can't say I've ever loved a wound up tele that I've heard.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:33 pm Fundamental difference between a strat and a tele though in terms of tone. Lots of good high gain stuff from strats over the years, but teles always sound a bit scratchy to me. Good for medium crunchiness but can't say I've ever loved a wound up tele that I've heard.
Me neither as it turns out.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:38 pm
Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:33 pm Fundamental difference between a strat and a tele though in terms of tone. Lots of good high gain stuff from strats over the years, but teles always sound a bit scratchy to me. Good for medium crunchiness but can't say I've ever loved a wound up tele that I've heard.
Me neither as it turns out.
Most of the early Zeppelin stuff is a Tele. I think lots of it sounds great even though I'm not a big Zep fan.

I do find Teles to be versatile but you have to have the right pots that can allow you to get those different tones. Having well tapered pots makes a huge difference. At least for what I do and the way I do it.