My stupidest cover ever

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Greg_L

Re: My stupidest cover ever

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:44 pm "Can you hear the drums, Fernando?"

πŸ˜€

Would actually work as pop punk.
Lol ugh no. :lollers2:

I mean it would probably work, but not by me. Give it a go. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HA!!! Savage.

Fantastic. Those are some grizzly chords you got in there. I had to bounce back and forth a few times to see if they actually worked and i guess they do. I like that it's ugly and gnarly in the verse and and get's good clean and catchy for the chorus. My wife is going to boner for this one. she's a HUGE ABBA fan.

Good one Grek!!

No nits on the mix from me really. I think some of the fiddly little accent guitar bits could come up a hair a bit more into the mix but that's a whatever. And i do hear what VHS hears in all the same spots. Inhales and mouth noises presumably. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Third listen...mainly for the bass tone.
Your bass into Marshall and 4 x 12 mic'd?
It holds its place in the mix really well.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:54 pm HA!!! Savage.

Fantastic. Those are some grizzly chords you got in there. I had to bounce back and forth a few times to see if they actually worked and i guess they do. I like that it's ugly and gnarly in the verse and and get's good clean and catchy for the chorus. My wife is going to boner for this one. she's a HUGE ABBA fan.

Good one Grek!!

No nits on the mix from me really. I think some of the fiddly little accent guitar bits could come up a hair a bit more into the mix but that's a whatever. And i do hear what VHS hears in all the same spots. Inhales and mouth noises presumably. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Lol. Cool. I think I might remember you telling me she's into ABBA. I hope she hates/loves it. :biggrin:

There's really only one "weird" chord in it, and I don't know what it is. I just figured it out by ear and I have no idea what it's called...nor do I care as I'll probably never play that chord again. I don't even know how to explain it. It's like a C chord and you flatten the fifth. Something like that. And there is an A minor which freaks @JD01 out. :lollers:

I really don't know what yall are hearing in the vocals. I listened to them isolated and there are inhales and exhales but no excessive lip smacking. It's not a stellar vocal performance by any means. But I don't hear any noise in the vocals that could rise to the level of all the other shit going on at the same time. It must be something else clashing in just the right way maybe? I don't know and don't really care. This is just a goof. :happytrees:
rayc wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:44 am Third listen...mainly for the bass tone.
Your bass into Marshall and 4 x 12 mic'd?
It holds its place in the mix really well.
Thanks Ray. I went a little extra on the bass for this one and it seems to have paid off. It's my P-Bass into an EQ pedal to sculpt the mids and then into the Bass Channel low input on the Tender Assman. Then into a 4x12 and I mic'd a G12T75 with a condenser pretty far off the grill. Then I added a very mild tape plug-in for some very gentle grit in the mids. Honestly the tape plug isn't doing much. It's adding a hint of compression but not much to the sound. And probably most importantly, I played standing and down pick pretty aggressively near the neck pocket. Playing like that truly is it's own sound on a P-Bass. I tried to find a sound that's sort of Lemmy-ish, but not quite that nasty. :sherlock: :metal:

Here's the drums and bass pretty much right out of the mix, but nothing on the master bus.
drumbass.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

Sounds great to me.

I'm not getting much power hitting my chest in this last post.

Unless I really crank it.

I didn't read all the pre-posts either.
Louisville KY
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:44 pm "Can you hear the drums, Fernando?"

πŸ˜€

Would actually work as pop punk.
Ooh! That'd be cool.

Gregor the Terror Abba tribute when?

You could call it Gracias Por Las Bloodshits or gABBA gABBA hey! if somehow no one has taken the latter.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg - I think the rebels are unanimous. We want an album, or at least an EP, of ABBA covers.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:46 pm gABBA gABBA hey! if somehow no one has taken the latter.
:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:

Ramones style ABBA covers. I love it....if only they had enough songs that I could stand to sit through, learn, and cover. :eek:
JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 pm Greg - I think the rebels are unanimous. We want an album, or at least an EP, of ABBA covers.
Maybe I could do one more. Maybe. Or we could all cover an ABBA song and make it a compilation.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:56 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:46 pm gABBA gABBA hey! if somehow no one has taken the latter.

Ramones style ABBA covers. I love it....if only they had enough songs that I could stand to sit through, learn, and cover. :eek:
JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28 pm Greg - I think the rebels are unanimous. We want an album, or at least an EP, of ABBA covers.
Maybe I could do one more. Maybe. Or we could all cover an ABBA song and make it a compilation.
Haha, that could work. @vomitHatSteve style plips and glitches on Money, Money, Money
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:56 pm Maybe I could do one more. Maybe. Or we could all cover an ABBA song and make it a compilation.
that would be lol.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool rhythm section track...that is a cool chain/sound o the bass.
Thanks for the chance to hear it... I enjoyed it and learnt something.
Cheers
rayc
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

yeah man, your stuff rocks 'nuff said ...killer!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Sounds great man! I just gave a casual listen this time around, but it sounds excellent. Performances and tracks and mix all sound great to me (listening to the on in the OP).

I thought I was hearing lip smacks too, but next time I listen I'll see if I can pin down the mm:ss mark when I heard whatever it was. Could be mp3 artifacts as suggested above. Something was there though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

stratmonkee wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:19 pm yeah man, your stuff rocks 'nuff said ...killer!
Tadpui wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:21 pm Sounds great man! I just gave a casual listen this time around, but it sounds excellent. Performances and tracks and mix all sound great to me (listening to the on in the OP).

I thought I was hearing lip smacks too, but next time I listen I'll see if I can pin down the mm:ss mark when I heard whatever it was. Could be mp3 artifacts as suggested above. Something was there though.
Thank you fellas. :coolstorybro:

I'll probably go in today and silence the vocal tracks between the words. There's a gate already. Maybe some shit is getting through.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:24 pm
Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:56 pm

Haha, that could work. @vomitHatSteve style plips and glitches on Money, Money, Money
I have pondered for years whether I should do "Dancing Queen" as "Dancing Steve" at some point.

So... recording challenge 11 then?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:25 am So... recording challenge 11 then?
This sounds like a great idea. I was humming The Winner Takes It All to myself earlier and imagining it with Bad Religion style Bom, Tssh, Bubba, Tssh drums
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Goddamn I'm really gonna have to do another?
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol I like this one.

Early ABBA aint too bad. WTF happened to them later on? This is way better than fucking Dancing Queen.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:23 pm Lol I like this one.

Early ABBA aint too bad. WTF happened to them later on? This is way better than fucking Dancing Queen.

ABBA is like every nightmare you had about your aunt and uncles come to life.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:44 pm

ABBA is like every nightmare you had about your aunt and uncles come to life.
The two dudes are certainly nightmare worthy. :shit:
Rebel Yell