trem Pedal day

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

trem Pedal day

Post by rayc »

I was looking for a trem pedal and thought I'd just use my multi FX recorders/units for the purpose or stay ITB.
Armistice posted a link to a Boss Trem that was reasonably cheap for Australia, (AUS$150ish), but it was a pre order thing. Most places seemed to have them for more $s and mostly pre-order.
I did some research and the Behringer is considered an excellent clone of the Boss but a little plastic/light weight enclosure wise. The Joyo Trem had lots of great reviews but is only a two knob job.
I noticed TC Electronics (owned by Behringer) had a very close copy of the Boss, solid box, three knobs etc and good reviews.
A little more research found a review of the Behringer pedal that said a lot of clean signal passed through as well. They weren't sure if it was a one off with that unit or built in setting.
Bummer as it was pretty cheap.
The TC electronic has good review and comes in at half the Boss delivered price.
I bought one & collected it from the post office this morning.
It has Speed, depth and Wave form knobs.
The Speed has a very wide range, the depth goes VERY deep and the difference between V & Square wave is significant.
Running it, as Greg L recommended, deep, square & into a "lush" reverb, (I used a cheapie spring reverb emulator pedal), does get a great sound & tone.
It looks like this...
choka.jpg
At Aus$79, {that's seven and a half schooners - 425ml- in NSW), (US$55.17, UK45.27, CAN$70.62 or EU60.49), delivered it's not a bad buy for me...and a decent way to cover up my bass guitar lines as lead lines playing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: trem Pedal day

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah that's good. That should do what you want no problem. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

A quick demonstration...clean, then 12 o'clock all around followed by extremes of settings V...U...speed...depth and then levels of "spring" reverb. For the spring run through I had speed at about 11o'clock depth around 4 o'clock and the U at max.The last bit played right against the bridge.
Squire Bullet Mustang Bridge pickup both knobs at max -> Choka -> no name Spring reverb pedal -> Marshall set pretty quiet -> e609 & 57 blended 50/50 nothing else.
choka dem1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Sounds like yer basic trem...

And schooners are $9, max, if you want the basic stuff. Less if you're in a pub. Less again if you're in a club... :wink:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

BTW I routinely use trace amounts of both tremelo and vibrato on my clean tones. Gives them a bit of wobble... worth a try. :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

@Armistice : Okay, eight and 7/10th schooners, (I did used a web site for the price - I haven't bought a schooner, or any booze to drink myself, since 1997 - but if your price is more current then that's good), I wouldn't want to rob someone of the 1.2 beers - they'd need the extra if they're drinking XXXX just to wash away the taste or deaden the taste buds.
Yep, standard Trem. based on the Boss and, really, just a slight tweak of the Behringer in a better case.
I'll try the traces element thing but you know I'm not subtle and rarely leave enough space in a mix for such finery.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

:like:

I'll post a few samples tomorrow to show you what I mean...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:05 am A quick demonstration...clean, then 12 o'clock all around followed by extremes of settings V...U...speed...depth and then levels of "spring" reverb. For the spring run through I had speed at about 11o'clock depth around 4 o'clock and the U at max.The last bit played right against the bridge.
Squire Bullet Mustang Bridge pickup both knobs at max -> Choka -> no name Spring reverb pedal -> Marshall set pretty quiet -> e609 & 57 blended 50/50 nothing else.
choka dem1.mp3
Sounds good Ray! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

So this would be the sort of sound I'd be using for a basic chord strumming exercise - you can sort of tell there's something on it, but not what necessarily what it is until a chord rings out and you can hear the tremolo - the vibrato isn't so obvious but it's there.

Obviously I have reverb and delay on it as well in small amounts.

Second sample is the same patch just picking notes out - it's a little more obvious.

Third is where I wound the tremolo up and found a "spring" reverb - this is all via the Kemper on a clean-ish Marshall profile.

Trem.mp3
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:46 am So this would be the sort of sound I'd be using for a basic chord strumming exercise - you can sort of tell there's something on it, but not what necessarily what it is until a chord rings out and you can hear the tremolo - the vibrato isn't so obvious but it's there.
Second sample is the same patch just picking notes out - it's a little more obvious.
Third is where I wound the tremolo up and found a "spring" reverb - this is all via the Kemper on a clean-ish Marshall profile.
Trem.mp3
Nice one David,
Nice clean Marshall too.
I'll experiment...but I'll have to write something sparse enough to use it on.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:46 am So this would be the sort of sound I'd be using for a basic chord strumming exercise - you can sort of tell there's something on it, but not what necessarily what it is until a chord rings out and you can hear the tremolo - the vibrato isn't so obvious but it's there.

Trem.mp3
I dig it when you wind it up at the end. Very nice. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell