Last song for my album

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
CrowsofFritz

Last song for my album

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Not to be confused with the last song ON the album.

I like the way this turned out. I used a bit from my old drinking song and turned it into this. It's fine because I'm done with Distrokid anyway, so that song is taken down.

Any leveling or EQing I should work on?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Re: Last song for my album

Post by Lt. Bob »

really like that acoustic intro ...... nice sound on it ..... as you know I kinda like everything and only give mix comments if something really bothers me. This sounds pretty good to me and the vox is well mixed .... if I have a nit it would be that the honky-tonk piano that pops in throughout is ever so slightly a tiny bit too loud to me.
Otherwise I like it as is
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:11 pm really like that acoustic intro ...... nice sound on it ..... as you know I kinda like everything and only give mix comments if something really bothers me. This sounds pretty good to me and the vox is well mixed .... if I have a nit it would be that the honky-tonk piano that pops in throughout is ever so slightly a tiny bit too loud to me.
Otherwise I like it as is
Awesome, thanks Bob! I stole elements from a lot of songs here. That intro was kinda sorta stolen from Dear Prudence, but it’s still quite difference.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:18 pm

Awesome, thanks Bob! I stole elements from a lot of songs here. That intro was kinda sorta stolen from Dear Prudence, but it’s still quite difference.
the very first couple of chords had me thinking 'Thank You' -- Led Zeppelin ... but then it veered away ...... a nice bit 'o' writing on your part I think.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:42 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:18 pm

the very first couple of chords had me thinking 'Thank You' -- Led Zeppelin ... but then it veered away ...... a nice bit 'o' writing on your part I think.
Yeah, someone had mentioned to me it sounded like Led Zeppelin, too.

I’m not familiar enough with their catalogue, but I do have a couple of records of theirs.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Some of the notes in the acoustic intro feel a little rough, like you didn't hit them very cleanly.

I could go either way on Lt. Bob's recommendation on the piano level. It's probably fine where it is, but quieter wouldn't hurt either.

Otherwise, no major nits jumping out
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:31 pm Some of the notes in the acoustic intro feel a little rough, like you didn't hit them very cleanly.

I could go either way on Lt. Bob's recommendation on the piano level. It's probably fine where it is, but quieter wouldn't hurt either.

Otherwise, no major nits jumping out
Should be easy to splice it in and do it again. The only problem is the guitar. Very easy to just get a plunk on that thing.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'd agree with Lt Bob about the piano - just a little loud particularly when it's a wee bit late..
The intro at about 2 secs has a tiny fluffy note...the intro gets progressively stronger after it.
Not sure if those extensions work after 1.55
It is a bit LZ but also something else with that descending bit.
The vocal leaning to the left feels a bit odd.
Cool song.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Only in spots do I think the piano's a little loud. You could probably just do some volume automation on a coupe of the notes where it stands a bit proud. There is a spot or two where I think the piano playing crosses from pleasantly loose to out of time however - again you could probably fix that with an edit. I'd definitely redo the start to get rid of the not quite executed well enough note about 2 seconds in.

Good song though. Just needs a little more polishing IMO. :like:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Thanks guys. Will definitely retrack that into to get rid of that plunk. 👍
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

I really like this, cool vibe. I like your acoustic guitar tone here. Really cool when piano kicks in and the sound of the vocal changes...this sounds likes Beggars Banquet era Stones. Very cool!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Good song, the sounds are generally good and suit what you do.
The descending figure in the intro, there's a couple of bits that aren't played that clean and the timing goes a bit wonky.
Like the slightly odd time signature generally but as a few others have mentioned the piano goes a bit too far out of time.

The piano is a bit loud, but its also really upfront in the mix - a little quieter with a bit more reverb wouldn't hurt.

At the moment, the electric guitar isn't really adding anything. Its barely audible a lot of the time and its clashing with your acoustic (nylon strung?) quiet badly, 'cos the timing is a bit wonky between them. Spacing them out a bit L/R would help.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Thanks guys. I’ll reassess the electric guitar. I need to add something to make it a little more full but I don’t know what.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

A very nice song. I liked it quite a bit.

The acoustic in the intro was nice. I don't know if I'd introduce the bass quite so quickly. Give the guitar a chance to do its thing.

Agree on the piano. It sounds nice. But it goes way back in the mix when the vocal is present, and then it really pops back when the vocal stops. But when it kicks in with the chorus, it really sound nice. Very full.

The lead vocal is much dryer than the other tracks. You might be able to compress it a little harder - or do a couple of fader rides. A word pops out here and there.

A couple of minor timing things here and there. A pitchy spot here and there.

The verse reminds me of McCartney's song Teddy Boy.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

TripleM wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:46 pm A very nice song. I liked it quite a bit.

The acoustic in the intro was nice. I don't know if I'd introduce the bass quite so quickly. Give the guitar a chance to do its thing.

Agree on the piano. It sounds nice. But it goes way back in the mix when the vocal is present, and then it really pops back when the vocal stops. But when it kicks in with the chorus, it really sound nice. Very full.

The lead vocal is much dryer than the other tracks. You might be able to compress it a little harder - or do a couple of fader rides. A word pops out here and there.

A couple of minor timing things here and there. A pitchy spot here and there.

The verse reminds me of McCartney's song Teddy Boy.
Thanks Triple. Teddy Boy was definitely one song that was an inspiration for this. Maybe I’m Amazed was another.