Spider-Man

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
TripleM

Spider-Man

Post by TripleM »

I did this one about 6-7 years ago or so. I listened to it recently and I thought that version sounded really bad. So I re-did it from the ground up.

Anyway, it's supposed to be a song that plays over the opening credits of a Spider-Man movie. Sometimes I like doing "project songs" like that. Let me know what you think.

Mix 1
SM1.mp3
Mix 2 - a couple of fader rides
SM2.mp3
Mix #3
SM3.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TripleM on Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rayc

Re: Spider-Man

Post by rayc »

When you dig in at the beginning of the 1st sung line your voice is a little buried by the guitars.
That happened in the 1st half of a few lines...may be your technique or the arrangement.
The rhythm section does really well.
The almost Ticket to Ride riff is cool too.
Cool, fun song.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Wait... is it Ticket to Ride or Day Tripper?

Was that lyric "Spidey has a bounty worth its weight in cash"... so that would be 6 to 600 dollars? :D

The mix is pretty good. Maybe the 2&4 snare hits could cut through a little more (but not the fills, if you boost the fills, it would be overwhelming)
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:04 pm
Was that lyric "Spidey has a bounty worth its weight in cash"... so that would be 6 to 600 dollars? :D
<DrEvilVoice>Can I get some friggin' poetic license here?</DrEvilVoice> :)
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

TripleM wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:37 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:04 pm
<DrEvilVoice>Can I get some friggin' poetic license here?</DrEvilVoice> :)
I blame the government for not offering denominations greater than $100!

I could very much picture that being a visual gag in a Mel Brooks film tho.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

New mix at the top. Just some fader rides. I boosted a couple off spots where the vocal was getting covered. I also thought the chorus was a little crowded, so I lowered the rhythm guitars to give the other stuff some room.

Mostly this is just bait to get some other people to comment. :)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think I remember you doing it originally back over at HR - did you post it? Or maybe I'm misremembering. :confused: It seems familiar.

Sounds good to me and nice work on the harmonies in particular.

And the place does seem a little slow at the moment. I think everyone's up to their ears with stuff.
rayc

Post by rayc »

TripleM wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:09 pm Mostly this is just bait to get some other people to comment. :)
The bait tweaks are good though.
Things are slow but have been slower - I went eight months without a view or comment on a video I posted in the vid section...I broke the drought by commenting on myself.

Summer there & winter here seem to be down times. Perhaps we should hibernate the place until the change seasons. Mind you Armistice & I now live in a two season zone so that would be odd.
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Thanks again @rayc, @vomitHatSteve, and @Armistice.

Armistice - I can't remember myself where I posted it before. I only remember that I definitely did. So your vague memory is about as good as my vague memory. :)
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Very cool, yeah definitely hear the Day Tripper riff , great lyrics. DIg that guitar solo! Agree with VHS about the snare hits, would sound cool for it to really crack in there. I know I always say this, but, I love your vocals!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The drums on this sound quiet small to me, could do with the hi-hat being a bit louder to give it more of a groove.

Your harmonies and doubling is really good but they're really building up a bit, not sure where, but you could probably do with a scooping some stuff out of the backings so they don't become overwhelming.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

@stratmonkee and @JD01 thanks and good observations.

Mix #3 is at the top. Changes:

1. I lowered everything but the snare and hats by a db. I raised the hats. I brightened up the snare with a boost in the mid 4Ks.
2. On both the lead and harmony vocals I went back to some earlier EQ decisions I made. There are some bigger EQ cuts around 300hz on both of them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, this is better - seems like the hi-hat drops in an out though - might just be that its getting really quiet in places and then jumps out when the hi-hat opens.

One thing I've noticed now is that the bass seems really "un-defined" There's one bit where you're just chugging away on one note that I noticed where the bass just sounds like a continual hum - I think this is contributing to the whole bottom end of the mix sounding really cloudy if you know what I mean. Have a listen to it all the way through and just try to concentrate on your bassline and you'll hear what I mean - there's places where there's no note separation at all.

Similarly, listen to it just concentrating on the hi-hat - it occasionally sounds like the drummer doesn't have a left arm.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Thank you @JD01.

I dropped the hat's out in spots because I didn't want it to sound like the drummer had three arms. Let me check to make sure I did that right.

The bass issue is a tougher one. I'm just hitting the low open E in those sections you're talking. It's tough to get a level sound, smooth playing, and have well defined notes at the same time. I could try to do some fader rides to boost those sections - it might help a bit. The other alternative is to do the same thing, only an octave up - it's easier to control the playing that way. Not sure if I want to retrack it tho.

But I'm glad I cleared up the snare and vocals. Thanks again.