maybe a useful but unscientific string longevity test

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

maybe a useful but unscientific string longevity test

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have a lot of string sets in stock at all times ..... basically anytime I see a special deal on a dozen sets I buy them so I have 3 different brands I use and I always have a lot of each.
Since I play the same place everyday under the same conditions I figured it might be possible to do a useful comparison.

So ...... first all gigs are outside and I gave them the same normal care I give strings .......... none.
I don't even wipe my guitar off unless it gets wet in which case I'll dry it off ..... but that's it.
All string sets are 10-46 and I used the same guitar for all of this ..... a Yamaha RGX A2

My definition of a set needing to be replaced is when the strings start going flat at an octave ..... and I mean the B or G strings as I find the little E, in all brands, goes flat way before the B so it's pretty common for me to just change the E string and keep going until the B and/or G go flat.
That's when I'll go ahead and put on a fresh set.
I don't change them just for losing tone ...... I play thru a modeler so I'll just bump up the highs on the mixer if I need to but I rarely even do that ....
I actually prefer the sound of strings at about a week or two of gigging.

So it's the loss of intonation that does it for me ..... usually I won't break a string unless I push them past the time they really start losing intonation.

I'm doing 5 four-hour gigs a week so I can really test these things fairly quickly and I thought I'd give it a shot.

the results

First up were the good old Ernie Ball green Slinkys
They lasted 20 gigs or 80 hours.
Sounded good and pretty balanced ...... never broke a string

Next were D'Addario EXL 110 nickel wound
They didn't seem to have as much 'punch' or 'snap' as the Slinkys ..... a mellower sound .... a meh sound actually.
But we're not talking huge differences here ...... I'm exaggerating to be able to describe it.
But I could notice it and would choose the Slinkys if I had a choice although I will use up all the XL sets I have
They lasted 15 gigs or 61 hours ( one gig went long ) never broke a string.

Lastly NYXLs which I'm a big fan of.
And they produced all the good things I'm accustomed to them giving me.
Noticeably louder and fuller tone ...... an awesome 'feel' and man .... they settle-in almost immediately ..... a stretch or two of the strings and *BAM* they're in tune and stay there ..... it's amazing.

However to my shock and dismay they only went 11 gigs or 44 hours and actually broke a G string on gig #9
A real shocker to me ........... but anyone can have a bad product slip thru so I'm a tryin' another set of them.

But in this test the winner by a large margin were the Ernie Ball Slinkys

Also playing 45 minutes with no G string is interesting ....... turns out I use that thing as lot! :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: maybe a useful but unscientific string longevity test

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:20 am I have a lot of string sets in stock at all times ..... basically anytime I see a special deal on a dozen sets I buy them so I have 3 different brands I use and I always have a lot of each.
Since I play the same place everyday under the same conditions I figured it might be possible to do a useful comparison.

So ...... first all gigs are outside and I gave them the same normal care I give strings .......... none.
I don't even wipe my guitar off unless it gets wet in which case I'll dry it off ..... but that's it.
All string sets are 10-46 and I used the same guitar for all of this ..... a Yamaha RGX A2

My definition of a set needing to be replaced is when the strings start going flat at an octave ..... and I mean the B or G strings as I find the little E, in all brands, goes flat way before the B so it's pretty common for me to just change the E string and keep going until the B and/or G go flat.
That's when I'll go ahead and put on a fresh set.
I don't change them just for losing tone ...... I play thru a modeler so I'll just bump up the highs on the mixer if I need to but I rarely even do that ....
I actually prefer the sound of strings at about a week or two of gigging.

So it's the loss of intonation that does it for me ..... usually I won't break a string unless I push them past the time they really start losing intonation.

I'm doing 5 four-hour gigs a week so I can really test these things fairly quickly and I thought I'd give it a shot.

the results

First up were the good old Ernie Ball green Slinkys
They lasted 20 gigs or 80 hours.
Sounded good and pretty balanced ...... never broke a string

Next were D'Addario EXL 110 nickel wound
They didn't seem to have as much 'punch' or 'snap' as the Slinkys ..... a mellower sound .... a meh sound actually.
But we're not talking huge differences here ...... I'm exaggerating to be able to describe it.
But I could notice it and would choose the Slinkys if I had a choice although I will use up all the XL sets I have
They lasted 15 gigs or 61 hours ( one gig went long ) never broke a string.

Lastly NYXLs which I'm a big fan of.
And they produced all the good things I'm accustomed to them giving me.
Noticeably louder and fuller tone ...... an awesome 'feel' and man .... they settle-in almost immediately ..... a stretch or two of the strings and *BAM* they're in tune and stay there ..... it's amazing.

However to my shock and dismay they only went 11 gigs or 44 hours and actually broke a G string on gig #9
A real shocker to me ........... but anyone can have a bad product slip thru so I'm a tryin' another set of them.

But in this test the winner by a large margin were the Ernie Ball Slinkys

Also playing 45 minutes with no G string is interesting ....... turns out I use that thing as lot! :lollers:
Man that is awesome dude. What a great review and testament to product testing. Interesting that the NYXL's calved first though i guess it makes total sense. I love my NYXL's as well but i find them to be rigid. If that makes sense?

Before i made the switch to NYXL i was using DR pure blues and i really liked those but i found they went muddy quickly. I am sure no one cares about that but i really like the snap and spank of new strings and that is what drew me away from those to the NYXL's. @Lt. Bob I have one pack of the 10-46 DR pure blues i likely won't ever use, i could send you to to put thru your paces just for curiosity sake? If you wanted to?

If you wanted them PM me your mailing address and i'll send them and some other stupid goodies your way. :like: :illdrinktothat:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I do love me some NYXLs. I have to suspect you got a bunk pack or some other unforeseen shit skewed the results.

I also agree about the regular ol Ernie Balls. I use the basic 10-46 green pack all the time and they are very good strings IMO. I've never had a problem with them breaking or wearing out unreasonably quickly.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:54 am

Man that is awesome dude. What a great review and testament to product testing. Interesting that the NYXL's calved first though i guess it makes total sense. I love my NYXL's as well but i find them to be rigid. If that makes sense?

Before i made the switch to NYXL i was using DR pure blues and i really liked those but i found they went muddy quickly. I am sure no one cares about that but i really like the snap and spank of new strings and that is what drew me away from those to the NYXL's. @Lt. Bob I have one pack of the 10-46 DR pure blues i likely won't ever use, i could send you to to put thru your paces just for curiosity sake? If you wanted to?

If you wanted them PM me your mailing address and i'll send them and some other stupid goodies your way. :like: :illdrinktothat:
sure ..... I'd do that
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

How much do you sweat during a gig, Lt. Bob? With the Harley Benton bass, I have to get the strings that are 3x as expensive as normal.
People keep assuring me they'll last for ages, but I am a sweaty, sweaty player and wonder how often I'll actually be able to go between changes
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:43 pm How much do you sweat during a gig, Lt. Bob? With the Harley Benton bass, I have to get the strings that are 3x as expensive as normal.
People keep assuring me they'll last for ages, but I am a sweaty, sweaty player and wonder how often I'll actually be able to go between changes
I'm not super sweaty .... not much hand sweat really.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I use NYXLs now, but I've never had a problem with Ball's either. I probably haven't broken a string in 15 years.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:09 am I use NYXLs now, but I've never had a problem with Ball's either. I probably haven't broken a string in 15 years.
yeah but you prolly don't play outside in Fl heat 5 hours a day 5 days a week
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:25 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:09 am I use NYXLs now, but I've never had a problem with Ball's either. I probably haven't broken a string in 15 years.
yeah but you prolly don't play outside in Fl heat 5 hours a day 5 days a week
True - on average I probably get to play about 1.5hrs day at the moment. More on weekends, but then less in the week. The amount I get to play depends on what the surf is like too!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't play outside in florida heat either and I'm also not a string breaker. I never break strings. Ever. And I surely just jinxed myself for my gig this weekend. :mad3:

My fellow guitar player bandmate always breaks strings. He's a heavy duty sweat hog. He sweats all over his shit and never cleans it and he breaks a string pretty regularly. And it's always at the bridge. I'm sure the sweat from his hand corrodes the strings right at the break angle over his saddles and they just give up eventually. Doesn't matter what guitar he plays. If he doesn't change his strings very regularly they will break.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I don't sweat. Or at least my hands don't get sweaty - I'm not dripping over my guitar or anything grim like that.
Even if I'm playing for quite a long time, my hands will get very warm and supple, but not at all moist.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'll sweat a little bit at gigs or band practice but never enough to drip all over my shit.

I'm also savvy enough to keep a small shop fan with me for shows. It sits a little off to my right and blows air up at me. It also has two outlets on it.

That little fan keeps me fresh and cool and I can plug things into it if need be.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I sweat like a pig under stage lights even if standing stock still.

And I run around like a madman when actually playing, so I am that a-hole who's literally dripping sweat on my instrument!

Saturday, I played an outdoor gig (90-something F temperature, heat index over 100) wearing a felt onsie. I nearly died.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:15 am I sweat like a pig under stage lights even if standing stock still.

And I run around like a madman when actually playing, so I am that a-hole who's literally dripping sweat on my instrument!

Saturday, I played an outdoor gig (90-something F temperature, heat index over 100) wearing a felt onsie. I nearly died.
Drink lots of cider with ice in it
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:01 am

I'm also savvy enough to keep a small shop fan with me for shows.
an absolute necessity for my gigs.
SO many Fl gigs are outside and we've been in the 90s for months with a couple left to go.

But as long as I have a nice breeze blowing in from the ocean via my fan, I'm cool and relaxed
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:15 am I sweat like a pig under stage lights even if standing stock still.

POIDH!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:26 pm

POIDH!
From a different gig, and a different felt onsie, but the same stage:
285050091_4815174395254070_4870912179469924473_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Orange onesies are the new black onesies... :lollers:

What's in the esky? Ice to cool your sweaty brow down?
rayc

Post by rayc »

The only one in a onsie &, possibly, the only barefoot beast as well.
I've broken an A string on bass a couple of times.
I suspect I'd break strings a bit this last year or so. My brother -in-law gave me 10 packs of Ernie Ball strings for Xmas and Bday a couple of years in a row.
I've given heaps away but have noticed that in each pack I've used the B n E strings get spots of corrosion very quickly. I suspect they're reject sets or recall sets he bought from the back of a truck...he's inclined to do that sort of thing.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:56 am The only one in a onsie &, possibly, the only barefoot beast as well.
I've broken an A string on bass a couple of times.
I suspect I'd break strings a bit this last year or so. My brother -in-law gave me 10 packs of Ernie Ball strings for Xmas and Bday a couple of years in a row.
I've given heaps away but have noticed that in each pack I've used the B n E strings get spots of corrosion very quickly. I suspect they're reject sets or recall sets he bought from the back of a truck...he's inclined to do that sort of thing.
It's usually the second lowest string for me, so these days it's E on my B-basses, but I broke a few As on my E-basses in high school