maybe a useful but unscientific string longevity test

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Re: maybe a useful but unscientific string longevity test

Post by Lt. Bob »

OK @ Whiskey jack ... the DR Pure Blues

Liked 'em ...... they sounded sorta like Slinkies but a bit darker .... not much and not dark in a negative way really ... maybe fuller might be a better term.
They settled into tune pretty quickly.
They made 18 gigs and 72 hours and ... on Fri. Oct 14th ( the 18th day ) I decided that they were done intonation-wise and would change them on Mon ...,.. then they self destructed breaking a B on the 14th, a G on the 15th and the little E on the 16th.
Lol .... once they were done they were DONE!!

I have a friend who wrote up a detailed test and review of a buncha strings which I'll add to this thread once I edit out all his self praise from it
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:25 am then they self destructed breaking a B on the 14th, a G on the 15th and the little E on the 16th.

LOL - imagine if that happened in the one song... you'd be pretty pissed off by the end of it. :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:25 am OK @ Whiskey jack ... the DR Pure Blues

Liked 'em ...... they sounded sorta like Slinkies but a bit darker .... not much and not dark in a negative way really ... maybe fuller might be a better term.
They settled into tune pretty quickly.
They made 18 gigs and 72 hours and ... on Fri. Oct 14th ( the 18th day ) I decided that they were done intonation-wise and would change them on Mon ...,.. then they self destructed breaking a B on the 14th, a G on the 15th and the little E on the 16th.

I have a friend who wrote up a detailed test and review of a buncha strings which I'll add to this thread once I edit out all his self praise from it
Amazing! You actually killed them haha!!! :lollers2: :lollers2: :like: :coolstorybro:

Glad you gave them a whirl. I found them to be dark too after they settled in. I know exactly what you mean. They got to a point where i just couldn't bare them and put new on. But i am a diva when it comes to wanting to hear that new string spank all the time. Hence my love affair with the NYXL's.

I definitely never ever put any of my DR's thru the paces you did ...72 hours LOL!!!! That's so cool. Good job Bob!
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol @whiskeyjack so on my next gig ( the 20th ) I still hadn't changed strings cause I'm lazy>
Damned if the D string didn't break!

So now it's mostly new strings on the guitar and I find myself curious to see if the A and big E will break and if so, how long will it take?

:sherlock:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:17 pm lol @whiskeyjack so on my next gig ( the 20th ) I still hadn't changed strings cause I'm lazy>

So now it's mostly new strings on the guitar and I find myself curious to see if the A and big E will break and if so, how long will it take?

HA! That is wild.

Keep the experiment going. Just murder them last two. See what it takes. if you got it in you.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:42 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:17 pm lol @whiskeyjack so on my next gig ( the 20th ) I still hadn't changed strings cause I'm lazy>

HA! That is wild.

Keep the experiment going. Just murder them last two. See what it takes. if you got it in you.
oh I've got it in me!