Redoing vocals...

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
Armistice

Redoing vocals...

Post by Armistice »

So I'm working on this song - tracked the lead vocals Monday night and am comping it all together yesterday.

One of the issues I have with going direct to recording without ever performing the songs live is that the vocal melodies are never set in stone and the vocals can be a tad wonky anyway as I haven't sung them a few hundred times yet.

So as I'm tracking - and I did the song 8 times, straight through - I'm doing different vocal melodies as the thought comes to me.

Not unusually, as I'm singing the song more and getting more confident, the vocal melody tends to expand a little and go places I hadn't hitherto considered the more I sing it.

Then when I listen through the 8 takes, I realise that the best melody options are in the latter takes, but that's also when my voice is starting to give way and there are more likely to be strange creaks and breaks occurring.

So after an hour or so of auditioning the tracks, and comping things together, I decide that what really needs to be there for the vocal melody isn't actually in existence amongst the 8 takes, not only because of the aforementioned voice wearing out, but also because I don't like the tone I'm using so much - it's a bit harsh, and then also some of the lyrics are bugging me. :frown:

So, back to the drawing board on this one. Will attempt Take 2 of the vocals tonight after doing some rehearsing today.

That is, if the threatened deluge here doesn't take place. Hard to track when it's raining as the mic is under the aircon return duct in the ceiling and you get the tippy tap of even gentle rain on the tin roof becoming audible. There are times when I could track during the day - at least bits - but hard with GF downstairs working away liable to make noises, and she probably needs to concentrate as well.

No wonder stuff takes me so long to finish. :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep: :eep:

Sigh... :mad3:
Tadpui

Re: Redoing vocals...

Post by Tadpui »

It's definitely a struggle. I've never been a good singer and I'm one of the 99.9% of people that hate the sound of their own voice upon playback anyways. Almost everything I've recorded over the last several years has basically been improvised or close to it. So yeah, even my most decisive moments are uncertain at best. Trying to comp together takes, and even worse: trying to double up a vocal and harmonies is always an adventure.

I have no advice here :D

At least you finish stuff! 25 years into home recording and I don't think I've ever gotten anything to a point where I "decided" that it's finished. I've just got stuff that I've gotten tired of messing with and abandoned.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:01 am
At least you finish stuff! 25 years into home recording and I don't think I've ever gotten anything to a point where I "decided" that it's finished. I've just got stuff that I've gotten tired of messing with and abandoned.
Yeah, I sort of have to. It seems such a waste of time to not produce complete works. I've thrown very few songs out (that I've started recording) over the years - last album there was one I just couldn't get right, and so that bit the dust. It was the one I got everyone here to contribute BVs for. Whoops... :lollers: It was a good concept - perhaps I should dig it out and see if I can repurpose it. :nyuk:

At some point - and I think I'm there now - I decide I need to complete an album, hence the recent activity, which is why setbacks like this are soooo annoying.

I'm actually stopping myself from going back and remixing my last album, which, as I know much more now, could probably do with it. Finish. Album. First. :frown:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've always felt pretty grateful that I don't do music that really needs anything special vocally. I can usually belt my garbage out in two or three tries and be done with it forever. Good enough is absolutely good enough.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I do a similar thing to Armi, work on vocal melodies as I go, often changing lyrics etc. I'm such a crap singer that I often find myself working through a song line by line to get it right. And that by the time I get to the end of the song the last verse/chorus or whatever sounds much better than the start of the song.

It's partly due to my voice being warmed up and my ear being dialed in but mostly down to me being sure of what I'm doing.

What I often end up doing then is listening to it for a few days, finding loads of shit I don't like, tweaking lyrics and rerecording stuff.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I usually start with a scratch lead vocal take that I comp together part by part. Then I record vocals last, so by the time I'm tracking vox, I've listened to the specific vocal arrangement I was planning dozens of times. With that, I know exactly what I'm doing so can usually hammer out 5 takes and comp them down to 3 final takes for main+doubles pretty quickly.