Society - Ed Vedder cover

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Society - Ed Vedder cover

Post by JD01 »

Was plinky plonking this acoustic last night when I was having a glass of wine with the Mrs so I decided to record my own "proper" version of it.

The original is an acoustic folk song by Ed Vedder from the Into The Wild soundtrack.
Society Mix 1.mp3
Mix 2
Society Mix 2.mp3
Society Mix 3.mp3
Society Mix 4.mp3
Society Mix 5.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD01 on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Society - Ed Vedder cover

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I think the kick could come up, and the lead vocal could come down a little bit - or maybe have some more 'verb or something. It's kind of sitting on top of the mix.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:26 pm I think the kick could come up, and the lead vocal could come down a little bit - or maybe have some more 'verb or something. It's kind of sitting on top of the mix.
Cheers, I've been really struggling with a few things lately cos of my blocked ears. Kick has been a particular problem for me, it always seems too loud.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I can feel the kick but not hear it clearly...I think a bit more EQ carving around the bass n kick is in order.
The bass is clear.
The right guitar is biting a bit.
Fast n furious.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think if you just dropped the rhythm gits a bit you'd find more balance. The wide rhythm guitars are crazy loud.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, I'll try having another crack this today but my ears really are fucked. I was listening to a podcast earlier and it sounded like I had a mild ring-mod in my left ear.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've added "Mix 2" above. Dunno if its my head being clearer or if its ear fatigue mixing something right after recording. @Greg_L you're right, the guitars were stupid loud - as soon as I turned them down, the whole thing made more sense - I just wasn't hearing them yesterday. I ended up having the vocal up really loud trying to compete with the overly loud guitars.

I think I knocked about 5db off the guitars and about 6 off the lead vocal, then adjusted the backing vox and solo too.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:42 pm I can feel the kick but not hear it clearly...I think a bit more EQ carving around the bass n kick is in order.
The bass is clear.
The right guitar is biting a bit.
Fast n furious.
The right guitar is the bridge pickup of my tele. I don't actually record that pickup very often, I normally use both pickups on the tele on a much cleaner sound.

The bass is just played through the clean channel of my H&K with my Han-Taun pedal in front of it recorded through the emulated out. I think I'll use this more for bass from now on 'cos I was quite enjoying the sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's definitely better. Now I think you can clean up some of the low mid resonant buildup in the bass and kick. The kick has a little basketball effect happening. I think you could bring the vocals back up some too. I can't make out 75% of it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:15 am It's definitely better. Now I think you can clean up some of the low mid resonant buildup in the bass and kick. The kick has a little basketball effect happening. I think you could bring the vocals back up some too. I can't make out 75% of it.
Cheers, I'll have another listen to it later this afternoon when productivity fatigue sets in with work. I've just been for a lunchtime swim too so my ears are full of seawater.

Have you heard the original? Its sounds like something from one of them shows that your mrs drags you to that you really hate.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:23 am
Have you heard the original? Its sounds like something from one of them shows that your mrs drags you to that you really hate.
Lol no I've never heard of it. I didn't know Eddie Vedder did solo stuff. I don't even know any Peral Jam songs besides the two or three 90s radio superhits.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:35 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:23 am
Lol no I've never heard of it. I didn't know Eddie Vedder did solo stuff. I don't even know any Peral Jam songs besides the two or three 90s radio superhits.

Anyway, I think I can here what you're saying about a basketball affect with the kick. I'll have a good listen later and give you a shout if I'm totally stumped - I don't want to just go fucking with it at random hoping that I make it better - oddly enough, I only seem to be able to make mixes better when I can here the problem myself!

Basically me and my mrs have this running joke that whenever she says she likes something I'll turn it into a punk song.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:41 am
Basically me and my mrs have this running joke that whenever she says she likes something I'll turn it into a punk song.
I've been doing that to my wife's songs for 20+ years. Probably nearly half the covers I do are some crap that she likes and I turn it into a shitshow.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, I've not made any changes to the bass, but I'm made some pretty subtle changes to the kick - I've adjusted the mid-cut up a little and moved the low boost down a little and widened it. There was also a bit of reverb on the kick which I've removed - that probably made the most difference.

I've isolated the drums and bass here so you can hear it more clearly.

JD
Society Drum and Bass.mp3
Kick and bass EQ.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, mix 2 is sounding a lot better
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

The 2nd mix is way better than the first. My ears would like a happy medium of the two. The vocals are definitely now buried under the drums.

Cool cover man. That movie was pretty wild. Really Sad.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:24 am OK, I've not made any changes to the bass, but I'm made some pretty subtle changes to the kick - I've adjusted the mid-cut up a little and moved the low boost down a little and widened it. There was also a bit of reverb on the kick which I've removed - that probably made the most difference.

JD

Kick and bass EQ.JPG
I guess that's better but hard to tell out of the full mix.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:12 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:24 am OK, I've not made any changes to the bass, but I'm made some pretty subtle changes to the kick - I've adjusted the mid-cut up a little and moved the low boost down a little and widened it. There was also a bit of reverb on the kick which I've removed - that probably made the most difference.

JD

Kick and bass EQ.JPG
I guess that's better but hard to tell out of the full mix.
I'll have another listen to the full mix later and repost if I get time. I've only turned the vocal up a tiny bit but I've also brightened it up.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Mix #2 is an improvement. I agree about the vocal coming up just a bit. And the kick having that bouncy ball sound. Really liked the bass part. Guitars sounded good - even when turned down in mix #2.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, Mix 3 above - I think the change is pretty subtle but it seems to work.