New Honey Hunters - Reason or Rhyme

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

New Honey Hunters - Reason or Rhyme

Post by Armistice »

FILES REMOVED. Thanks for playing... :lollers:

Short and sweet, this one - 2:51. What was I thinking? :eep:

Another set of lyrics written backwards. While I was noodling the main "riff" the eventual repeating phrase you'll hear came into my head, and then I had to sort of work backwards to write the rest of a set of lyrics that somehow made that repeating phrase make sense.

After a few darker attempts at lyrics in the end it's a happy happy joy joy tune about two people - relationship undescribed - at the start of some sort of major life adventure, also undescribed.

This just seems to be the way I'm working these days. :cuckoo:

Have at it... :coolstorybro:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version - with more betterer bass and reverb settings, I hope...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(This is also the first song I've recorded where I've had GF in the house while I was singing... I tied her up downstairs and put a sock in her mouth to keep her quiet... :lollers2: Not really. Just barred her from making any noise at all for about an hour, so she happily read a book. Looks like this is the way it'll have to be from now on or I'll never get anywhere... felt weird though)
Last edited by Armistice on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
vomitHatSteve

Re: New Honey Hunters - Reason or Rhyme

Post by vomitHatSteve »

There's some kind of vocal glitch on "care" at 0:47-0:48. Similarly on "today-hey" around 1:43

Is that your tuning glitching or an edit or something?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I have slightly blocked ears so I'll keep it general for now.

Sounds like a good song to me and all of the sounds are good. The only thing my mangled ears are getting is that in places the drums sound a bit mechanical. My ears feel like I'm under water though so take that with a pinch of salt.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I didn't hear the 47 glitch or 1.43
The bass seems almost subliminal - it's there but very round. I suppose that with all the bright stuff happening around it the top end is unlikely to poke out.
Shockingly short but a good sounding thing.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:18 pm I didn't hear the 47 glitch or 1.43
The bass seems almost subliminal - it's there but very round. I suppose that with all the bright stuff happening around it the top end is unlikely to poke out.
Shockingly short but a good sounding thing.
Thanks ray - I've looked at the bass - it was very clacky in the playing - which you can only really hear in the intro, but I probably suppressed the upper frequencies too much to get rid of that particular sound which was annoying me while in bass/solo mode, and so it is a little muddy. I've undone those changes (up at around 3K) and it pops a bit more. Haven't re-rendered yet... will possibly nudge the volume a little as well.

Cheers
JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:23 pm I have slightly blocked ears so I'll keep it general for now.

Sounds like a good song to me and all of the sounds are good. The only thing my mangled ears are getting is that in places the drums sound a bit mechanical. My ears feel like I'm under water though so take that with a pinch of salt.
I may let your ears normalise before taking any action on that. I don't think they sound mechanical - although obviously they are mechanical. :wink:

Cheers

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:03 am There's some kind of vocal glitch on "care" at 0:47-0:48. Similarly on "today-hey" around 1:43

Is that your tuning glitching or an edit or something?
Nope - anything that's there, and I can hear what you're referring to, is just my voice, which has an inbuilt auto glitching mechanism, it seems. :frown:

Many's the time I listen back and think "What the F is that..." only to discover it's just some catch in my throat or vocal styling that I didn't notice at the time that sounds a little weird. I think there are worse examples in this song. :lollers:

I actually redid the 4th line of the first verse ("care") yesterday as none of the takes had the right rhythm/meloday and I put the mic in a different spot and so the EQ on it all sounds different. I may redo that line again and try to get a better EQ match later on.

Cheers
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Love the doubled guitars. Nice part.

Lead vocal is crystal clear.

Must just be a phase for me, but everyone's bass's seem too low end heavy. This seems to have just a bit of rumble. And I think a song like this would sound better with a lighter bass.

Maybe shorten up the reverb times just a bit? dunno. something to think about.

Other that that, I thought it was excellent.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

TripleM wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:39 pm Love the doubled guitars. Nice part.

Lead vocal is crystal clear.

Must just be a phase for me, but everyone's bass's seem too low end heavy. This seems to have just a bit of rumble. And I think a song like this would sound better with a lighter bass.

Maybe shorten up the reverb times just a bit? dunno. something to think about.

Other that that, I thought it was excellent.
Thanks Trip - think you're right about the bass... @ray commented it was a little indistinct, so rolling off some of the lows should help that. I'll put another mix up later with some changes.

Also on the reverb - I normally start to much then acclimatise by reducing as I go, so will look at that as well.

Cheers
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Cool song, reminds me of Cat Stevens.
Cheers
Chris
my music
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CeeBee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:03 am Cool song, reminds me of Cat Stevens.
Thanks... from his little known electric guitar / pop song period, perhaps. :lollers:

I'll take Cat comparisons any day. :like:
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:39 pm
Also on the reverb - I normally start to much then acclimatise by reducing as I go, so will look at that as well.

Cheers
I might try that. Interesting approach.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:08 pm
Nope - anything that's there, and I can hear what you're referring to, is just my voice, which has an inbuilt auto glitching mechanism, it seems. :frown:

Many's the time I listen back and think "What the F is that..." only to discover it's just some catch in my throat or vocal styling that I didn't notice at the time that sounds a little weird. I think there are worse examples in this song. :lollers:
Oh yeah. We've had this conversation before, haven't we?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Listening with a pretty clear head now. (V2)
This is basically really good, Armi.
Alison

Post by Alison »

What a cool song! And have I mentioned that I really love your voice?
I can't really comment on the mix, I am STILL such a beginner but, the song captivated me. Great lyrics, great singing
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Alison wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:12 pm What a cool song! And have I mentioned that I really love your voice?
I can't really comment on the mix, I am STILL such a beginner but, the song captivated me. Great lyrics, great singing
Thanks Alison - I have to tell you, every damn time I track something I just think my voice sounds awful - but by the end of the mixing, I'm sort of used to it. Like pretty much every home recorder!

Thanks for the kind words. Come back in 24 hours and the next one will be up... :biggrin:
JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:23 am Listening with a pretty clear head now. (V2)
This is basically really good, Armi.
Cheers JD - sorry, I got lost in doing the next one and missed this!

I'll get to your Veddering tomorrow. :like:
Alison

Post by Alison »

@Armistice, if it's any consolation, I have never liked my voice either. All of you here at Recording Rebels have changed my thinking. Still hear so many flaws but, we are our own worst critics!! I love your voice, it's clear and smooth.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!