Dusie for David

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Dusie for David

Post by rayc »

@Armistice
The Guiataristas on Youtube, the vids can be a bit long and his right arm action is just weird but lots of simple, casual detail about the guitar of the week...
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Re: Dusie for David

Post by Tadpui »

When I was at Guitar Center yesterday, they had a Dues 12-string in their "platinum room" for a pretty tidy sum. I think it was like $7K or so. It was behind glass so I couldn't pick it up and play it. But it was gorgeous. I initially thought the "D" logo was Danelectro, and being a 12 that reinforced it. But I couldn't reconcile that price tag, until I realized it was a Duesenberg. Great looking guitars (David's included :)).
Armistice

Re: Dusie for David

Post by Armistice »

OMG - what a ramble that was. :lollers:

He's a bit of a geezer. Traded three guitars for it and doesn't even know if he likes it or not - surely something he could ascertain in the shop before buying. :wink:

I never really noticed that the neck was anything in particular. The only neck on a guitar I own that I notice the neck at all on is the PRS Custom, which is very baseball batty. Everything else just has a neck, and I wouldn't know what profile, depth etc. any of them are.

I'm just about to replace the strings on it during the week - apart from sounding dull with the wounds, and it's not that bad a sound in and of itself, you start to lose tuning stability with the vibrato bar - always the damn G string in particular, so I'll give it some new strings, clean the nut slots and put a bit of pencil lead in there and see how it goes.

Because they say to use their specific gauge of string - 10 to 50 - actually trying to get these strings was a bit of a chore, although I haven't run out. Mooloolaba Music, where the guitar comes from, always has "awaiting stock" on their web page and a price of $29.99 a set, which is a lot these days. But the last batch I got was from Coleman Music in Melbourne, but then they ran out as well last time I looked. Checked again this morning and they're back in stock, for $19.99 a set, so I ordered 3, and with $12 shipping it's still easily cheaper than the local store who doesn't have them anyway. :cuckoo:

Have a tune to record tomorrow before I change the strings, however - have just the sound I want and new strings would be a bit bright.

Given that I'm now actively considering another album - I already have enough material recorded without vocals - it'll be almost exclusively played on the Duesenberg - I've hardly had anything else out of it's case since I got it - and given I'm generally going for simpler instrumentation, the need to have different guitars to make things stand out a bit has reduced a lot.

Thanks for digging this out, ray. Appreciated. :like: