Recording Challenge #TEN - Video Game Cover

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
JD01

Re: Recording Challenge #TEN - Video Game Cover

Post by JD01 »

I'm gonna do one of the pieces of music from Cannon Fodder.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:30 am Though I imagine it’s all for good enjoyable reasons as well!
I work al day then i go play peek a boo with my kid and hang out with him and then i work some more. I guess it's enjoyable but i wouldn't file it under fun or me time.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:57 pm Is anyone else participating in this?
Absolutely but I still gotta finish my pre-60 cover.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:57 pm Is anyone else participating in this?
I'd like to, but I think I just won't have enough time. If I don't have something by the first week in July, I'm probably missing this one.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm still trying to get my pre-60s recording to not suck!

I'm gonna be full-bore on recording after August when I go back to Fri and Sat gigging ...... right now I barely have time to do anything plus my pre-60s cover sucks and I want it to not.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 pm I'm still trying to get my pre-60s recording to not suck!

I'm gonna be full-bore on recording after August when I go back to Fri and Sat gigging ...... right now I barely have time to do anything plus my pre-60s cover sucks and I want it to not.
I seriously doubt your pre-60's cover sucks and I sorely wish I had jumped on that bandwagon but. . . snooze you lose. Video games are definitely not my thing, wouldn't even know where to start. Right now, I'm on a bit of a recording (really anything musical) hiatus while we try to get our house ready to sell. There's a ton of work to do and I can't possibly hide in my studio while hubby and friend work their buns off in the blistering heat so. . . hopefully, I'll rejoin everything when the work is done. . .sigh!

I'll be lurking from time to time though :smiles:
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alison wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm I sorely wish I had jumped on that bandwagon but. . . snooze you lose.
These things aren't time-limited. You can still record an old challenge if you want.
Alison

Post by Alison »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:50 am
Alison wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm I sorely wish I had jumped on that bandwagon but. . . snooze you lose.
These things aren't time-limited. You can still record an old challenge if you want.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Once our house is listed, I may have some time.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've still got your....#4 challenge maybe? It's about 25% finished.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 pm I'm still trying to get my pre-60s recording to not suck!

I seriously doubt your pre-60's cover sucks and I sorely wish I had jumped on that bandwagon but. . . snooze you lose. Video games are definitely not my thing, wouldn't even know where to start. Right now, I'm on a bit of a recording (really anything musical) hiatus while we try to get our house ready to sell. There's a ton of work to do and I can't possibly hide in my studio while hubby and friend work their buns off in the blistering heat so. . . hopefully, I'll rejoin everything when the work is done. . .sigh!

Where are you moving to?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:56 am
I've still got your....#4 challenge maybe? It's about 25% finished.
:lollers2:

Dang! i don't even remember what that challenge was! Gotta go review that one
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:45 am
Alison wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:44 pm

Where are you moving to?
Hopefully, moving from Las Cruces to Tehachapi Ca, to be closer to our family there (our new grandson, probably the only grandchild we will have). It's a bit stressful as we have been in this current house for 27 years!! Tehachapi is what we can afford and is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from our son & family. Just want to be a major part of his life.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Is that another desert? Good luck though, I hate moving house.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay here's my video game cover......from one of the Tony Hawk Skateboarding games. I think #4.

Agent Orange - Bloodstains
Bloodstains.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:52 pm Okay here's my video game cover......from one of the Tony Hawk Skateboarding games. I think #4.

Bloodstains.mp3
The memories of playing that game came rushing back immediately lol. Nicely done.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:04 am
The memories of playing that game came rushing back immediately lol. Nicely done.
Haha thanks.

I feel like I cheated though. I don't play the video game and have known how to play the song for 35 years. :redface:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:04 am
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:52 pm Okay here's my video game cover......from one of the Tony Hawk Skateboarding games. I think #4.

Bloodstains.mp3
Ah yes! The eternal conundrum of "do I listen to the in-game music (which is great) or the 8 or 10 Asbestos Records samplers that I've loaded onto the x-box?"
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bloodstains.mp3
Cheated... maybe. Doesn't matter. Sounds great!

What effect have you got on the vocal during the verse on this? Quiet double track with lots of verb? a long delay. Its cool anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:39 am

What effect have you got on the vocal during the verse on this? Quiet double track with lots of verb? a long delay. Its cool anyway.
Thanks. I did some unusual (for me) vocal shit for this just for kicks.

It's double tracked, I added a a lot of pre-delay reverb, and then compressed it hard so it squashed the weird reverb into the vocals. Then I added some tape saturation and regular reverb. I thought it sounded fairly interesting so I rolled with it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:49 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:39 am

Thanks. I did some unusual (for me) vocal shit for this just for kicks.

It's double tracked, I added a a lot of pre-delay reverb, and then compressed it hard so it squashed the weird reverb into the vocals. Then I added some tape saturation and regular reverb. I thought it sounded fairly interesting so I rolled with it.
Cool - it immediately caught my attention. You know sometimes when you hear songs that have a sung vocal but also like a whispered vocal double tracking over the top. its kind of like that, but sung. Anyway, song sounds great. I still haven't worked out pre-delay.