Recording Challenge #TEN - Video Game Cover

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Greg_L

Re: Recording Challenge #TEN - Video Game Cover

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:52 am
Cool - it immediately caught my attention. You know sometimes when you hear songs that have a sung vocal but also like a whispered vocal double tracking over the top. its kind of like that, but sung. Anyway, song sounds great. I still haven't worked out pre-delay.
I'm sorry, I misspoke. The effect on this is not pre delay...it's pre-reverb. It starts the reverb before the actual sound is made.

Pre delay is the little gap between sound and reverb.
Pre reverb is the totally unnatural effect of starting the reverb before the source sound.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:56 am
Cool - it immediately caught my attention. You know sometimes when you hear songs that have a sung vocal but also like a whispered vocal double tracking over the top. its kind of like that, but sung. Anyway, song sounds great. I still haven't worked out pre-delay.
I'm sorry, I misspoke. The effect on this is not pre delay...it's pre-reverb. It starts the reverb before the actual sound is made.

Pre reverb is the totally unnatural effect of starting the reverb before the source sound.
Can that be done with a plug-in? What I usually do is reverse the track, put reverb on it. Bounce it, then reverse it back.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:56 am

Oh, wow - I've definitely never experimented with that. I never even got to grips with pre-delay.
I know what it reminds me off, those 80s goth records - things like Bauhaus or Alien Sex Fiend.

I've listened to it again now since you've explained what it actually is and I can hear it quite clearly.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:01 am

Can that be done with a plug-in? What I usually do is reverse the track, put reverb on it. Bounce it, then reverse it back.
That's reverse reverb, and that's a little different. I love that effect too.

In Reaper, if you use the Reaverb impulse loader plugin you can do the pre-reverb thing very easily. It's just a slider. You can choose how many milliseconds of pre-reverb you want.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:09 am
Oh, wow - I've definitely never experimented with that. I never even got to grips with pre-delay.
I know what it reminds me off, those 80s goth records - things like Bauhaus or Alien Sex Fiend.

I've listened to it again now since you've explained what it actually is and I can hear it quite clearly.
I've actually done it quite a bit for other people, but never for my own shit.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Found this while digging through the vault. It's from 2008, I didn't re-record anything, but it fits this challenge.

Another from the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series, I think the first one maybe?

Dead Kennedys - Police Truck
Police Truck.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:31 pm Found this while digging through the vault. It's from 2008, I didn't re-record anything, but it fits this challenge.

Another from the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series, I think the first one maybe?

Dead Kennedys - Police Truck
Police Truck.mp3
Shit, only just realise this was here. This is great - amazing that you were recording at this level 14 years ago! That's probably before I even got my first Line6 UX2!

Your singing has improved a lot since this was done too. Your most recent recordings the singing is really excellent - things like your cover of Sloop Jon B. etc.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:05 am
Shit, only just realise this was here. This is great - amazing that you were recording at this level 14 years ago! That's probably before I even got my first Line6 UX2!

Your singing has improved a lot since this was done too. Your most recent recordings the singing is really excellent - things like your cover of Sloop Jon B. etc.
Thanks a lot. I did the two guitars with a Strat too. At that time all I had was a Strat and an SG. Holy hell. :lollers2:

I think I could sing Police Truck better in a different key, but you can't really play it properly in a different key. Sloop John B is from about the same time period as this one. 08/09-ish. My singing has always been sometimes okay, sometimes not so okay.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:46 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:05 am

Thanks a lot. I did the two guitars with a Strat too. At that time all I had was a Strat and an SG. Holy hell. :lollers2:

I think I could sing Police Truck better in a different key, but you can't really play it properly in a different key. Sloop John B is from about the same time period as this one. 08/09-ish. My singing has always been sometimes okay, sometimes not so okay.
Yeah, you'd have to re-tune or capo on Police Truck.
I thought SJB was way more recent than this, your recent stuff your singing has got more singy and less shouty though. Not that shouty is a bad thing. But you've had 14 years of practice since then you're bound to have got technically better. WIth my own singing I've just started trying to sing in a style that suits me more and not pretend I'm Layne Stayley.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:59 am
I thought SJB was way more recent than this, your recent stuff your singing has got more singy and less shouty though. Not that shouty is a bad thing. But you've had 14 years of practice since then you're bound to have got technically better. WIth my own singing I've just started trying to sing in a style that suits me more and not pretend I'm Layne Stayley.
It took a little while for me to learn to just sing with whatever voice I have. I'm not a singer, never been a singer, I can't sing, I do not pretend to know anything about it. But I do know how to just let my voice do whatever it does and make it work. I know how to get the most out of it. I also have a personal aversion to fake aggressive vocal styles. I like aggressive vocals but not everything has to be growly and mean sounding. The majority of the stuff I like and have been influenced by has melody to the vocals. Very little of what I like has angsty growler tough guy vocals, so I don't really do that in my own stuff. I'm not wired that way.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:28 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:59 am
It took a little while for me to learn to just sing with whatever voice I have. I'm not a singer, never been a singer, I can't sing, I do not pretend to know anything about it. But I do know how to just let my voice do whatever it does and make it work. I know how to get the most out of it. I also have a personal aversion to fake aggressive vocal styles. I like aggressive vocals but not everything has to be growly and mean sounding. The majority of the stuff I like and have been influenced by has melody to the vocals. Very little of what I like has angsty growler tough guy vocals, so I don't really do that in my own stuff. I'm not wired that way.
I like aggressive vocals and use them myself. But I want to make them loud and genuinely aggressive. I really hate some "modern metal" mixes where the vocal sounds all growly but it was probably sung at TV volume and compressed to death!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Somewhere back in the mists of time, maybe here, maybe at HR, @Bubba did a detailed thread on how to do reverse reverb.

I was interested at the time but never got around to trying it, more's the pity.