Anyone have a Harley Benton guitar?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Anyone have a Harley Benton guitar?

Post by Greg_L »

What yall need is some home-grown quality. Australia needs it's own gear brands.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:46 pm What yall need is some home-grown quality. Australia needs it's own gear brands.
It does have a few. There are a couple of manufacturers of acoustics, and lots of boutique high end builders doing one offs in the electric space, but the only really mainstream large scale electric guitar maker is Maton, and frankly, I dislike them a lot, just on appearance. And you don't see them out there in the world very often either. Everyone has one of their acoustics, however. I have 4.

I guess there's only so many ways to design a double cut, 2 humbucker electric guitar, and Maton's just don't do it for me, although they're better than they were.

https://maton.com.au/product/electric-guitars

Anyway you look at it, this is a Les Paul knock off with a curvier body shape. An almost not quite maybe is it a single cut or double cut look. It's not the shape I don't like, although I hate the headstock - it's the rest of it - pure steal.
Capture.PNG
Earlier models had a rotary pick up selector switch with a bar on it which I just thought was an accident waiting to happen - a designer trying to find a new way to do something just to look different - at the time - it's a 50 year old concept.
Capture2.PNG

And oh, look, a Tele thinline a la Maton...
Capture3.PNG
It's all a bit unimaginative, but unsurprising given the history of music in this country. We're lucky they exist at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

AND at AUS$5k they're a tad expensive.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:03 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:46 pm What yall need is some home-grown quality. Australia needs it's own gear brands.
It does have a few. There are a couple of manufacturers of acoustics, and lots of boutique high end builders doing one offs in the electric space, but the only really mainstream large scale electric guitar maker is Maton, and frankly, I dislike them a lot, just on appearance. And you don't see them out there in the world very often either. Everyone has one of their acoustics, however. I have 4.

I guess there's only so many ways to design a double cut, 2 humbucker electric guitar, and Maton's just don't do it for me, although they're better than they were.

https://maton.com.au/product/electric-guitars

Anyway you look at it, this is a Les Paul knock off with a curvier body shape. An almost not quite maybe is it a single cut or double cut look. It's not the shape I don't like, although I hate the headstock - it's the rest of it - pure steal.

Capture.PNG

Earlier models had a rotary pick up selector switch with a bar on it which I just thought was an accident waiting to happen - a designer trying to find a new way to do something just to look different - at the time - it's a 50 year old concept.

Capture2.PNG

And oh, look, a Tele thinline a la Maton...

Capture3.PNG

It's all a bit unimaginative, but unsurprising given the history of music in this country. We're lucky they exist at all.
Lol those are hideous.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Friggen' europeans tryna give me a heart attack!
Dear customer,

We regret to advise that the item you ordered has not yet been delivered to us by the manufacturer and the anticipated delivery date is now as follows:

Harley Benton RB-414BK Classic Series Harley Benton RB-414BK Classic Series
Item number: 467068

New resupply date: 10.06.22
I was about to shoot off a very cranky email saying that if they were gonna wait until October to ship it, I'd rather just cancel.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:17 pm Friggen' europeans tryna give me a heart attack!
Dear customer,

We regret to advise that the item you ordered has not yet been delivered to us by the manufacturer and the anticipated delivery date is now as follows:

I was about to shoot off a very cranky email saying that if they were gonna wait until October to ship it, I'd rather just cancel.
Ha ha. Not sure but I believe most of the world, apart from the US, does dates that way... 😀

Friday ain't too long to wait. 😉
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:17 pm Friggen' europeans tryna give me a heart attack!
Dear customer,

Oh, I forgot they do the dates a better way.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I grew up with M/D/Y, so it intuitively makes sense to me, but let's be honest: Y/M/D is the superior format
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:15 am I grew up with M/D/Y, so it intuitively makes sense to me, but let's be honest: Y/M/D is the superior format
Agreed. Most significant digits to the left, please!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

it's all arbitrary made up stuff ..... it's all good.

It's like language nazis ..... getting worked up over something that's made up in the first place.

I really laugh at the "A should be 332hz" gang.

I don't understand how these things are hard ..... I can't count jhow many times I've seem magazines rant about the 'confusing' controls on a Jaguar or an amp that has the labels a bit hard to read in a dark room.
If you can't remember what 3 or 4 knobs do, you need to move to a checkers only life.

Perhaps I'll decline into senility in which case I'll have to eat my words but man ..... what was I saying?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:40 pm it's all arbitrary made up stuff ..... it's all good.

It's like language nazis ..... getting worked up over something that's made up in the first place.

I really laugh at the "A should be 332hz" gang.

I don't understand how these things are hard ..... I can't count jhow many times I've seem magazines rant about the 'confusing' controls on a Jaguar or an amp that has the labels a bit hard to read in a dark room.
If you can't remember what 3 or 4 knobs do, you need to move to a checkers only life.

Perhaps I'll decline into senility in which case I'll have to eat my words but man ..... what was I saying?
As a programmer, the inherent sortability of Y/M/D is really helpful! A good portion of my professional career has been trying to figure out clever fixes to deal with users giving me inconsistent, unstandardized input.

Given my druthers, we'd all be speaking one syntactically-consistent and unambiguous language! I'd miss puns, but it's a sacrifice I would make.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:41 pm
Given my druthers, we'd all be speaking one syntactically-consistent and unambiguous language!
I'd be down with that and while we're at it maybe the same measurements
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've never understood the logic of MMDDYYY - I mean I know we write stuff like June 9, 2022, but smallest to largest seems obvious - or the other way around.

I completely get @vomitHatSteve and his point about sortability for YYYYMMDD - it really is the logical way to go for lots of things.

I'm all for standardised units - it's called the metric system and the US will never get onboard. But the problem with converting to a new system is that exceptions are made for everything, all the time, without a sunset clause on actually adhering to a standard size...

We've been metric for 50 years, yet there's still 95g in a can of sandwich tuna - and many other stupidities like that. Surely, at some point, manufacturers should have been forced to re-work their packages. Yeah, it's imported, but that just makes it easier...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I write things like 9th June 2022, or 09/06/22 in a written document 'cos that's just sensible. Putting the month first is fucking stupid.
When saving files that require dating or emails I'd use 220609.Imperial measurements are stupid.docx
rayc

Post by rayc »

Today is Friday, 10th June, 2022.
10/06/22 or 10/06/2022

Much of the change to date formatting came with the original Apple Works & the early MS Word. The loss of indented paragraphs, new lines for new paragraphs, the placement of to & from addresses and the signature line, starting the actual text immediately below the end of the "dear???" etc. as well as the addition of leaving a line between paragraphs (because the indent no longer indicated), can be attributed to the collision of word processing & businesses. Apple were, & remain, very pleased to have made changes to how people do things rather like Goggle. The paperless office wouldn't care about the waste of paper - that was/is a laugh still.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

My pet peeve with word processing is people using full justification for business documents. Save it for novels, just use left justified, pls...

I'm OK with the line between paragraph thing... oh look, I just did it. :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

todays date is 20220610

Any file i make gets named with that at the very beginning. I don't care or know if it is wrong or right. It's what i do and makes filing my shit easy.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

so which of these is how Harley Benton dates their guitars?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:20 pm so which of these is how Harley Benton dates their guitars?
get out. :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:20 pm so which of these is how Harley Benton dates their guitars?
It's thomann.DE, so presumably the 10/06/22 date means I'll be getting an update at some point today.

Of course, we're pretty close to CoB in Germany already.