Anyone have a Harley Benton guitar?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
CrowsofFritz

Anyone have a Harley Benton guitar?

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Thinking of getting their Rickenbacker bass (surprise, surprise, right? :lollers: )

I’ve heard they’re good but requires a little bit of a setup.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Anyone have a Harley Benton guitar?

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I think @rayc has an HB. 👍
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:47 pm
That could be literally any guitar
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:51 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:47 pm
That could be literally any guitar
Sure, but I’ve read that almost all of them requires one. I’ve never had to do a setup in the past on any of my guitars. I’m sort of expecting to do one for this bass.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Sure, but I’ve read that almost all of them requires one. I’ve never had to do a setup in the past on any of my guitars. I’m sort of expecting to do one for this bass.
But what does that mean? It needs a setup as it's totally unplayable by anyone? Or it needs a setup to suit your particular needs?
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

HB aren't bad. Like all mass produced it's a luck of the draw thing.
I bought a 12 string Rickenbacker clone. Absolutely nothing wrong with it except for a spot of white trim about 2mm out of place.
The RB 414CS has the same look as my 12 string.
You'll probably find the cover over the bridge pick up annoying for a variety of reasons. I'm sure it can be removed and not look too shabby.
I bought from Tohman diretcly.
That bass at 195 pounds or AUS$350 or about US$250 isn't particularly cheap and postage will add more.
My HB is well built, doesn't have tuning issues and is great fun. Mind you I was after an electric 12 string not a Rick clone or an alternative to the McHof. Any decent full sized bass can give you the Mc Rick sound with very little effort.
They look nice, the sounds samples sound okay and, from my limited experience, the build is fine.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:13 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:57 pm

But what does that mean? It needs a setup as it's totally unplayable by anyone? Or it needs a setup to suit your particular needs?
I’ve heard the frets usually need to be filed.
rayc wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:48 pm HB aren't bad. Like all mass produced it's a luck of the draw thing.
I bought a 12 string Rickenbacker clone. Absolutely nothing wrong with it except for a spot of white trim about 2mm out of place.
The RB 414CS has the same look as my 12 string.
You'll probably find the cover over the bridge pick up annoying for a variety of reasons. I'm sure it can be removed and not look too shabby.
I bought from Tohman diretcly.
That bass at 195 pounds or AUS$350 or about US$250 isn't particularly cheap and postage will add more.
My HB is well built, doesn't have tuning issues and is great fun. Mind you I was after an electric 12 string not a Rick clone or an alternative to the McHof. Any decent full sized bass can give you the Mc Rick sound with very little effort.
They look nice, the sounds samples sound okay and, from my limited experience, the build is fine.
Thanks ray! This is good info.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:55 pm

I’ve heard the frets usually need to be filed.
Okay well that's not acceptable on a new guitar.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think most quality guitars, out of the box, are set up quite well - provided your playing style matches that style of set up, and mine generally does.

Over the last 6 or 7 years I've bought a brand new Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster and Duesenberg Starplayer TV* and haven't felt I needed to do anything much to any of them, out of the box. But then, I work mainly in cleanish tones and there's a certain type of set up for that - if I was a shredder and/or playing with a lot of overdrive it'd be straight onto the workbench for all of them and I might try and get the action down just a smidge...

* I have no idea what a "Starplayer TV" is meant to represent as a name, but then again I guess you could say the same about all the Fender names.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Yeah, from what I’ve read, the setup on the guitar shouldn’t be too big of a project. I mean, for $200, I don’t expect it to play the way I want it to right out of the box.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Starplayer TV is a Dusenberg axe.
My 12 needed a very slight tune out of the box everything else was dandy - MUCH easier to play than a 12 string acoustic too. action was good, strings were/still are good, electronics work, tone suited me.
When that odd fellow, Henning Pauly, reviewed a big batch of HB guitars he took them from the box and played them as they were, tuned after a minute of two and then proceeded with the review. His position was that the guitar should come ready to play...they usually were.
If it needs a fret file, I presume you mean fret ends, then the odd guitar will need it common across almost all brands.
If it needs frets dressed etc. then it's a return jobbie.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Oh... I had been just considering pulling the trigger on an actual rick bass (I don't love my fretted kramer, and my vocalist keeps complaining about my fretless)

If there's a passable $200 clone I could use for gigging, that would be pretty neat!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:55 pm Oh... I had been just considering pulling the trigger on an actual rick bass (I don't love my fretted kramer, and my vocalist keeps complaining about my fretless)

If there's a passable $200 clone I could use for gigging, that would be pretty neat!
Yeah here’s what I’m looking at.

https://harleybenton.com/product/rb-414cs/#

I wish I could get the real thing, but alas!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So i asked a friend who's a bassist and luthier.

He says they're pretty good but benefit from an electronics upgrade. (At which point they sound like gibsons)
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:39 pm So i asked a friend who's a bassist and luthier.

He says they're pretty good but benefit from an electronics upgrade. (At which point they sound like gibsons)
Well, I’m selling my most expensive Magic deck so I can buy the real thing. My Magic cards are collecting dust, anyway.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is dust a new color of mana or something? :D
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

just checking out the thomann site, man, those are some low prices! Have wanted a mosrite guitar forever...this copy for $222 seems like a cool deal
mosrite copy
...if I can just sneak it past the accountant (wife) and mix it with the rest of the herd...it looks quite different then the rest of my guitars though, think she would notice :>)
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alright. i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the RB-414. I guess I'll let y'all know what I think in a couple weeks when it arrives.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

stratmonkee wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:27 pm just checking out the thomann site, man, those are some low prices! Have wanted a mosrite guitar forever...this copy for $222 seems like a cool deal
mosrite copy
...if I can just sneak it past the accountant (wife) and mix it with the rest of the herd...it looks quite different then the rest of my guitars though, think she would notice :>)
Bloody hell... thats like the price of a good pedal!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

can I get Thomann stuff here in the gunnie world?