Re: Spite Build - Marshall JCM 800 2204

Post by rayc »

Gweg's Wall of Watts.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bloody fuck, that's a wall of amps! All the same amp! haha, if I had the space and money I'd at least go for different amps!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:17 pm Now for the Ampegs

:nyuk:
Haha yeah!
Bill L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:50 am Well, that's awesome!

:punk: :metal: :illdrinktothat:
rayc wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:23 am Gweg's Wall of Watts.
:illdrinktothat: :illdrinktothat: :guitarhero:
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:35 am Bloody fuck, that's a wall of amps! All the same amp! haha, if I had the space and money I'd at least go for different amps!
WTF are you talking about? They are all different.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Haha, 8 Marshall heads?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:06 am Haha, 8 Marshall heads?
Yeah but they're different Marshalls. :coolstorybro:

There's not eight amp brands in the whole world that I'd actually want. I've obviously got Marshall covered. I've got what I think are the best Fenders covered now. I've got an Orange (not pictured). So what's left that isn't some gross high gain metal amp? A Vox. I like AC30s but they don't do anything that a Marshall or Fender can't do better IMO. I prefer Marshall's crunch and grind, and I prefer Fender's clean and tremolo. So as great as Vox is, I just don't really have a need for them. They make beautiful harmonically rich pushed clean jangly sounds. I just don't ever look for that sound.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:53 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:06 am Haha, 8 Marshall heads?
Yeah but they're different Marshalls. :coolstorybro:

There's not eight amp brands in the whole world that I'd actually want. I've obviously got Marshall covered. I've got what I think are the best Fenders covered now. I've got an Orange (not pictured). So what's left that isn't some gross high gain metal amp? A Vox. I like AC30s but they don't do anything that a Marshall or Fender can't do better IMO. I prefer Marshall's crunch and grind, and I prefer Fender's clean and tremolo. So as great as Vox is, I just don't really have a need for them. They make beautiful harmonically rich pushed clean jangly sounds. I just don't ever look for that sound.
I agree with you on the Vox actually. I would like a Marshall of some sort, a Fender - probably a Deluxe, an Orange (which I'll probably get 'cos they are small) and a Mesa. Marshall's are too big, Fenders are usually combos so way to big and Mesa's are too expensive.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 am
I agree with you on the Vox actually. I would like a Marshall of some sort, a Fender - probably a Deluxe, an Orange (which I'll probably get 'cos they are small) and a Mesa. Marshall's are too big, Fenders are usually combos so way to big and Mesa's are too expensive.
What you need is....a Kemper.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:16 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:06 am
What you need is....a Kemper.
Boring!!! I want something that makes real noise!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:25 am
Lol. They have models with power amps. Or maybe you get a basic non-powered Kemper and run it into the fx return of your H&K. That could work.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:28 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:25 am
Lol. They have models with power amps. Or maybe you get a basic non-powered Kemper and run it into the fx return of your H&K. That could work.
There are options like that. I just can't be arsed with things like that though - like amp sims, for me they're fun to cock about with just noodling around but I find that I never settle on a tone with them. I just mess about. There's something about dialing in an amp with 4 knobs on the front of it that's just satisfying.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:32 am
There are options like that. I just can't be arsed with things like that though - like amp sims, for me they're fun to cock about with just noodling around but I find that I never settle on a tone with them. I just mess about. There's something about dialing in an amp with 4 knobs on the front of it that's just satisfying.
Agreed. I think that's a curse that's been plaguing lots of people for a while now - option paralysis. I see it all the time. And people are surprised when I fight against it. It's become the new norm. There are so many pedals and amps and sims and options that a lot of people struggle to just get the fuck after it now. At every single gig I play, and I mean this, literally every gig, someone asks me "where's your pedal board"? I have a tuner sitting on the floor and that's it. I never really thought much of it to begin with but now it's a source of defiant pride for me since so many fucking people think it's weird to not have a shit ton of pedals cluttering up my floor space. I don't need or want all those flavors and options that no one else really notices anyway. I just wanna plug in and rock the fuck out.

And it's the same when I record people. They always want to layer in layers and layers of amps and effects like they're making a fucking Def Leppard record. I'll sometimes do it when I honestly think it could be good, but usually I try to talk them out of it. Or sometimes I'll humor them, record it, and then just not even include that crap in the mix. They don't even notice. People get ideas of what's good or right without knowing the actual nuts and bolts of it. It's all just a bunch of fucking musical masturbation.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

a freakin' AMPEG DAMMITT!

They're different .... they are stupid loud and have a totally different EQ than any other amp and that EQ is a freakin' amazing thing.

Absolutely their own thing .... nothing like them .... they even use a power tube no one else used.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:57 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:32 am
Agreed. I think that's a curse that's been plaguing lots of people for a while now - option paralysis. I see it all the time. And people are surprised when I fight against it. It's become the new norm. There are so many pedals and amps and sims and options that a lot of people struggle to just get the fuck after it now. At every single gig I play, and I mean this, literally every gig, someone asks me "where's your pedal board"? I have a tuner sitting on the floor and that's it. I never really thought much of it to begin with but now it's a source of defiant pride for me since so many fucking people think it's weird to not have a shit ton of pedals cluttering up my floor space. I don't need or want all those flavors and options that no one else really notices anyway. I just wanna plug in and rock the fuck out.

And it's the same when I record people. They always want to layer in layers and layers of amps and effects like they're making a fucking Def Leppard record. I'll sometimes do it when I honestly think it could be good, but usually I try to talk them out of it. Or sometimes I'll humor them, record it, and then just not even include that crap in the mix. They don't even notice. People get ideas of what's good or right without knowing the actual nuts and bolts of it. It's all just a bunch of fucking musical masturbation.
Yeah, even though I do have a board. It's pretty simple. I like the sound of an O/D in front of an amp so I use one at a time.

I the use one random effect at a time, usually a phaser, sometimes a flanger to make lead lines pop a bit. I don't need 10 fucking flangers with various options and switches.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:09 pm a freakin' AMPEG DAMMITT!

They're different .... they are stupid loud and have a totally different EQ than any other amp and that EQ is a freakin' amazing thing.

Absolutely their own thing .... nothing like them .... they even use a power tube no one else used.
I've been looking at their schematics. Wild stuff. Don't you have a V2? Or is it a V4?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:43 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:09 pm a freakin' AMPEG DAMMITT!

I've been looking at their schematics. Wild stuff. Don't you have a V2? Or is it a V4?
I have a V-2 ... also a VT-40 which is a V2 in a 4x10 combo and I have a VT-22 which is the V4 in a 2x12 combo.

I dearly love the Vt-40 ..... wifey doesn't want me getting rid of it but I just have no use for it ..... any amp gigging I do will be with B.O.B. or the gRamp or my Mark V.
But I bought it from Jimmy Eppard ( google him ) and gigged it a few years back when I could lift it. ............. 95lbs!

But damn ..... sometimes I'll turn it on and just strum a chord and marvel at the sound.
and the EQ on them is just flat out amazing.
Now ..... they don't do more distortion than a crunch so for anything higher gain you have to use a pedal.

But what a crunch it is and man, they are stupid loud.
and I've played thru everything .... when I say stupid loud I mean even greg will put up a post saying Holy Shit! about the volume
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:53 pm I have a V-2 ... also a VT-40 which is a V2 in a 4x10 combo and I have a VT-22 which is the V4 in a 2x12 combo.

I dearly love the Vt-40 ..... wifey doesn't want me getting rid of it but I just have no use for it ..... any amp gigging I do will be with B.O.B. or the gRamp or my Mark V. But I bought it from Jimmy Eppard ( google him ) and gigged it a few years back when I could lift it. ............. 95lbs!

But damn ..... sometimes I'll j turn it on and strum a chord and marvel at the sound.
Now ..... they don't do more distortion than a crunch so for anything higher gain you have to use a pedal.

and I've played thru everything .... when I say stupid loud I mean even greg will put up a post saying Holy Shit! about the volume
The schematics and tube layouts are really interesting. Big voltages in those things.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:01 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:53 pm I have a V-2 ... also a VT-40 which is a V2 in a 4x10 combo and I have a VT-22 which is the V4 in a 2x12 combo.

I dearly love the Vt-40 ..... wifey doesn't want me getting rid of it but I just have no use for it ..... any amp gigging I do will be with B.O.B. or the gRamp or my Mark V. But I bought it from Jimmy Eppard ( google him ) and gigged it a few years back when I could lift it. ............. 95lbs!

But damn ..... sometimes I'll j turn it on and strum a chord and marvel at the sound.

The schematics and tube layouts are really interesting. Big voltages in those things.
and well built too .... huge trannies and I think a stainless chassis .... just amazing amps.
Maybe too loud even for you actually since you have to push them some to even get a crunch
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:07 pm

and well built too .... huge trannies and I think a stainless chassis .... just amazing amps.
Maybe too loud even for you actually since you have to push them some to even get a crunch
I'm sure they'd be way too loud to effectively gig with, but loudness aint a problem for recording or at home.

And I'm sure I could add some kind of master volume if need be.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:09 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:07 pm

I'm sure they'd be way too loud to effectively gig with, but loudness aint a problem for recording or at home.

And I'm sure I could add some kind of master volume if need be.
the V2 head has a master ....... don't think the combos do but actually don't remember