Ear Protection

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Ear Protection

Post by JD01 »

My hearing is getting fucked anyway 'cos I've got such bad surfer's ear.
But, I was just playing my guitar now, really enjoyed it. Rig sounding great. Genuinely make my heart beat a bit faster just playing my gear nice and loud. But it was pretty loud. I don't normally just sit and play like this for extended periods - when I play with my amp like this I've normally got headphones on.

So, anyone got any experience with decent ear protection that just reduces the level a bit but doesn't make things sound muffled and shit?
Greg_L

Re: Ear Protection

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:59 am
So, anyone got any experience with decent ear protection that just reduces the level a bit but doesn't make things sound muffled and shit?
I've heard good things about these:
https://eargasm.com/

I've never used them but I've heard good things from people that have.

For me personally, I always dial in my amps with wide open ears then use the cheapo squishy ear booger earplugs and just know that it actually sounds okay. I'm very used to it now. I'd be totally deaf if I wasn't a strict user of earplugs when playing live or practicing.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:13 am
JD01 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:59 am
I've heard good things about these:
https://eargasm.com/

I've never used them but I've heard good things from people that have.

For me personally, I always dial in my amps with wide open ears then use the cheapo squishy ear booger earplugs and just know that it actually sounds okay. I'm very used to it now. I'd be totally deaf if I wasn't a strict user of earplugs when playing live or practicing.
Yeah, I dial the amp in the same way as you too and then use headphones as ear protection for recording. I just want to enjoy having the same sound when I just sit here playing without destroying my hearing.

I'll take a look at those plugs now.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I used to have one of those pairs of custom-molded by a doctor plugs. They were super-nice.

But I lost 'em, so now I just use cheapo plugs. I've been meaning to try getting a pair of decibullz sometime tho.