Do I need a Klon Klone?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Re: Do I need a Klon Klone?

Post by Lt. Bob »

what do you mean by amp neutral?
Just where the knobs say it's neutral?

Because that doesn't really mean much.
For example a Fender blackface is never neutral ..... always seriously mid scooped regardless of where you set it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bass, mid & treble at 12 Lt. Bob, the same as "flat" from the top of the post.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Ok ...... I ordered this:
https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-projec ... id=3690739

Supposed to be a good clone and there's a vid downward
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:55 pm Ok ...... I ordered this:

I looked at that too. The first batch sold out in hours!!!! So crazy the hype around this stuff.

With everything i have going on currently putting together another kit of something is not really time effective for me. Gonna have to wait. Good luck with this one BOOB!!!
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Yeah ...... I don't really have time either but these pedal kits only take a couple of hours and this thread has me klontemplating things.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

@WhiskeyJackOK ...... this thread cost me money!

I'ma building the Ghost Drive today ..... they told me to not be active for a day or two after the molar extraction which I don't really need to do since I ain't no wussie.

But it's an excuse to tell wifey why I'm sitting and soldering today.

BUT WAIT! THAT'S NOT ALL!

I ordered the Wish Klon ......

It'll prolly take months to come in if ever but I have bought from Wish before so maybe it'll get here.

So when I get it in I'll compare the two ...... and then I'll sell them both to ya'll
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:07 pm @WhiskeyJackOK ...... this thread cost me money!

I'ma building the Ghost Drive today ..... they told me to not be active for a day or two after the molar extraction which I don't really need to do since I ain't no wussie.

It'll prolly take months to come in if ever but I have bought from Wish before so maybe it'll get here.

So when I get it in I'll compare the two ...... and then I'll sell them both to ya'll
I've been eyeing that ghost drive since you mentioned it. I'll probably order one and check it out.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:10 pm I've been eyeing that ghost drive since you mentioned it. I'll probably order one and check it out.
I will say it's more complex than the other pedal kits I've built ..... 31 tiny resistors and 11 caps, all small, to be soldered ...... a few diodes ..... it's all discrete parts.
But the instructions are quite detailed so it should be no biggie for anyone with a tiny bit of soldering skills.
I would not choose it for a first build..
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:07 pm @WhiskeyJackOK ...... this thread cost me money!

HA! that is awesome. I have looked at a few of those offshore questionably cheap kits in the past but never ever bite.

I can't wait to see how you make out with that klon build buddy!!! Stewmac keeps emailing me to see if i am interested in them (i signed up for to be notified when they became available again) but i got way too much on the go right now.

All the reviews have been very positive.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:36 pm I have looked at a few of those offshore questionably cheap kits in the past but never ever bite.

I can't wait to see how you make out with that klon build buddy!!! Stewmac keeps emailing me to see if i am interested in them (i signed up for to be notified when they became available again) but i got way too much on the go right now.

the Wish isn't a kit ..... it comes ready to go.

As for the Ghost Drive kit ...... I can't remember if you're good at soldering or not.
If not then I can't recommend it ..... LOTS of tiny resistors to be soldered to smallish trace-pads.
I actually bought another soldering iron as I didn't have one with a small enough tip.
So unless you're adept at soldering, I don't think this'd be a good first kit.

But if you can solder then it's a very well laid out kit with excellent instructions..
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:58 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:36 pm I have looked at a few of those offshore questionably cheap kits in the past but never ever bite.

the Wish isn't a kit ..... it comes ready to go.

As for the Ghost Drive kit ...... I can't remember if you're good at soldering or not.
If not then I can't recommend it ..... LOTS of tiny resistors to be soldered to smallish trace-pads.
I actually bought another soldering iron as I didn't have one with a small enough tip.

But if you can solder then it's a very well laid out kit with excellent instructions..
I'm ok. Not perfect. If a majority of it can be put together outside of the enclosure then would be manageable. It's when i have to solder in mega tight spaces is where I lack any kind of great skill.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:12 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:58 pm the Wish isn't a kit ..... it comes ready to go.

I'm ok. Not perfect. If a majority of it can be put together outside of the enclosure then would be manageable. It's when i have to solder in mega tight spaces is where I lack any kind of great skill.
ok ..... well really, ALL the building is outside the box other than putting the pots in and eventually installing the finished board
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Have you got this and started it yet Lt? maybe it's done and you got it finsihed while i was away on holiday and not paying as much attention to to the forums. Another friend of mine recently ordered one. hasn't got it yet.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:11 pm

Have you got this and started it yet Lt? maybe it's done and you got it finsihed while i was away on holiday and not paying as much attention to to the forums. Another friend of mine recently ordered one. hasn't got it yet.
I finished it and should have a thread up with pics and a clip within a day or two and I also got the Wish Klon so we can compare

Interesting you asked since I just took the pics and set up my amp and a recorder to make some clips just last night.
Might not powst till Sunday though since I'm in gigging-too-much mode