Do I need a Klon Klone?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Do I need a Klon Klone?

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:04 pm
Armistice wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:29 pm

Clearly I missed this guy in my recent clean up of non-required members... :mad:
Ban Hammer coming in hot @ShanPeyton heads up!
I'm very confused as to what's going on here...

Isn't this a WJ alt account? Why is everyone angry? Why is WJ banning himself?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:25 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:04 pm

Ban Hammer coming in hot @ShanPeyton heads up!
I'm very confused as to what's going on here...

Isn't this a WJ alt account? Why is everyone angry? Why is WJ banning himself?
@WhiskeyJack is this board's prime spammer under his various accounts... :frown: Pretty sure he's behind all the ruskies currently trying to sign up as well. :suspicious:
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

Good Choon Brav.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

@TK421
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:51 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:17 am

Now I don't agree with greg, that they all sound the same.
I don't think I said that.
well .... you have said that there's not much difference between all the dirt boxes ..... perhaps I misunderstood what you meant
TK421

Post by TK421 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:05 pm @TK421
Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 am Lol who the fuck is TK421? And why isn't he at his post?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:15 am
well .... you have said that there's not much difference between all the dirt boxes ..... perhaps I misunderstood what you meant
That's true. There isn't much difference. They almost all fall within hard clipping and soft clipping. They do not sound the same, but they are not very different. To the best of my limited pedal knowledge, the infamous Klon is a very hard clipper, but it doesn't really give you any of that until you really jack the gain way up. For most people it's just a really really expensive clean boost.

I personally lean towards any OD pedal that executes soft clipping, or just straight up clean boosts. I'm not a pedal-always-on guy though so I really need to just stay the fuck out of these conversations. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:02 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:15 am
That's true. There isn't much difference. They almost all fall within hard clipping and soft clipping. They do not sound the same, but they are not very different. To the best of my limited pedal knowledge, the infamous Klon is a very hard clipper, but it doesn't really give you any of that until you really jack the gain way up. For most people it's just a really really expensive clean boost.

I personally lean towards any OD pedal that executes soft clipping, or just straight up clean boosts. I'm not a pedal-always-on guy though so I really need to just stay the fuck out of these conversations. :lollers2:
no ..... I, for one, am always interested in your thoughts on gear
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:02 am I'm not a pedal-always-on guy though so I really need to just stay the fuck out of these conversations. :lollers2:
They're called effects pedals. That means they shouldn't always be on, right? It's not much of an effect if it's always on. :D

(Says the guy who has had multiple projects where one of his pedals always defaults to the on state)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I usually have my Klone on. Certainly when I'm playing clean(ish), I find it just gives it a nice flavour and stops it sounding sterile.

I think I said earlier though - the main reason I have a few flavours of O/D is 'cos I have one amp, one cab and mainly use one mic. Swapping between a few different O/D pedals, my Crimson and my Tele allows me to change things up a bit.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

at the end of the day what did you decide on @vomitHatSteve ?
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:42 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:02 am I'm not a pedal-always-on guy though so I really need to just stay the fuck out of these conversations. :lollers2:
They're called effects pedals. That means they shouldn't always be on, right? It's not much of an effect if it's always on. :D
mmmm ..... I'm not commonly an always on guy but I do tend to just leave my Xotic EP boost on
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

(Says the guy who has had multiple projects where one of his pedals always defaults to the on state)
I don't think of dirt/distortion/OD pedals as "effects pedals". I believe they're more about tone shaping. A lot of people just leave them on forever.

I think of effects pedals as more like time, frequency, and phase modulation type stuff. Delays, flangers, phasers, chorus, wahs.....those are effects IMO. You kick them on here and there to add the effect to the sound.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:11 pm I don't think of dirt/distortion/OD pedals as "effects pedals". I believe they're more about tone shaping.
This is what I use them for.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:46 pm at the end of the day what did you decide on @vomitHatSteve ?
I passed on it for now.

SDotD usually rotates back around to the same gear, so maybe I'll pick it up next time.

Since my dirt pedals are a big muff and a Death Metal Pedal, they're definitely effects more than tone shaping. If your bassist has a DMP going as your baseline tone, you have made some strange decisions as a band!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:02 pm

mmmm ..... I'm not commonly an always on guy but I do tend to just leave my Xotic EP boost on
Yeah, I have had mine on for like 5 years straight! With my new guitar setup I havent been using it like that though.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:02 pm

When I was gigging with my JTM 45 combo that my buddy assembled for me, my EP booster was always on. When I use my Princeton, my Jekyll and Hyde pedal distortion side is always on. But in these instances, it's because that's the tone I want for the whole gig and I usually don't use any other pedals. In the band I was in a few years ago, I used a couple of different drive pedals that I would use depending on what guitar I was playing or what song was being called. I noticed that Humbuckers responded differently than Teles or Strats when using dirt pedals, so I had some options. In my current project, I'm using the Idiot Box No Moon for different dirt, none of them are on all the time but I have noticed that certain rooms require a different dirt pedal. And reverb and delay are always room dependent as well. I've just learned to not worry about it. Just plug in and make it work. Because at the end of the day, the only one that can really tell the difference is me. And I'd rather just play guitar, making adjustments along the way, rather than concern myself so much with something that is only making me not play well and few, if any, can discern any difference anyway. My favorite was a gig I did with a Blues Driver instead of my Jekyll and Hyde (which was in for repair) into a vintage Twin. I hated my tone but a friend of mine, a fellow musician, mentioned how much he liked my tone that night. So now I just play the gig and not really worry about it. Because as @Lt. Bob has mentioned, I can pretty much sound like me no matter what I play through. Even @vomitHatSteve has seen this. When we met I was using someone else's amp and pedal board. I just plugged in. I didn't sound exactly like I do through my stuff, but I absolutely sounded like me.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:39 pm I was using someone else's amp and pedal board. I just plugged in. I didn't sound exactly like I do through my stuff, but I absolutely sounded like me.
there was an article by some big time sax guy and he said that all the sax guys spending money on different and expensive mthpces all end up, after a bit, sounding about the same as they sounded with the previous mthpces and/or reeds.
His theory was that they had a sound in their head they were going for and so no matter what they used, they would make adjustments to get as close to that sound as they could.

I think the same applies to git players and their gear
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think a lot of people have no fucking clue what they're doing with their pedals. And I absolutely do not mean anyone here or in this thread. I mean just in general out in the meat world. The overwhelming majority of guitar players I see with elaborate pedalboards and expensive pedals actually sound like dogshit. I saw a dude just last weekend with a really nice Gibson Explorer, some kind of large Orange combo, and a shit ton of pedals. He sounded like steaming shit. So much noise and compression and and fuzz and screeching, it was just hot garbage. Totally inappropriate for the rest of the band. He would have sounded infinitely better with just a guitar, cable, and amp. He wasn't doing anything special. He didn't need all that shit. He used those stompboxes because he could and it was awful. Maybe he was having a great time but it sounded terrible.

Another guy I used to see a lot had a Marshall JCM2000 DSL halfstack. He played Flying Vs. Great guitar and amp. But he also used one of those floor processor things into the clean channel of his amp and it sounded like shit all the time. So flat and lifeless. That amp he used had more than enough gain to provide an appropriate sound for the hard rock/metal he was playing. But nope. This fool ran a goddamn processor thing into the clean channel of a high gain amp and it sounded like poopoo. His sound would just vanish into white noise in the full live mix.

And another guy I used to know. He played LP Jrs, a really nice Vox AC30, and he had one of those ZVEX hot box or rock whatever fuzz pedals set to max all the fucking time. It was awful. His shit sounded like glass breaking nonstop.

None of this was artistic license or tonal creativity. This is just dumb people doing dumb things with dumb pedals. Pedals to guitar players are like crack pipes to crack heads.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:38 pm I think a lot of people have no fucking clue what they're doing with their pedals. And I absolutely do not mean anyone here or in this thread.
I mean, this definitely does apply to me!
I've got an A board that is the pedals I use to shape my tone and the recurring effects I use a lot (synth bass, big muff, delay)
But the B board? That is just goofy-ass sounds! Circuit bent chorus? Pitch shifter? Death Metal Pedal? Anything with a biohazard sticker on it? Yes! Put them on my goof-ass board!