EzDrummer 3

General recording topics.
vomitHatSteve

Re: EzDrummer 3

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:10 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:59 pm Huh... So I'm watching a video about this, and they talk about triggering the kick off of transients.

Meaning, you could probably get 90% of the way towards EZD bandmate with some clever chaining of Reaper built-in FX
what do you mean? like you can do something similar without the use of the EZD plug?
Yeah, I'd think so. There are plugins with transient detection in Reaper already, you'd just need to find a way to configure them to send midi signals when they trigger. Maybe do similar things with gates and compressors to try to catch the off-beats.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 am Yeah, I'd think so. There are plugins with transient detection in Reaper already, you'd just need to find a way to configure them to send midi signals when they trigger. Maybe do similar things with gates and compressors to try to catch the off-beats.
Interesting. might be similar technology at work in this new feature i suppose. It combs through whatever library you have looking or the perfectest loops too. I am sure that would take some rather crafty programming to do inside the box of reaper alone.

It sort of sounds like that is what regdar does. Kinda. I don't know how you have created that monster but from age old conversations of your explanation of HOW you created Regdar i feel it's must be pretty close.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Regdar is a little less smart than that. I give him a pattern of when the drum hits should be, and he picks the samples to play in those spaces.

With EZD3, as with all software right now, "artificial intelligence" is mostly snake oil.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:23 pm With EZD3, as with all software right now, "artificial intelligence" is mostly snake oil.
Correct 100%. I think if someone were doing something pretty sterile and vanilla the band mate AI feature might be pretty handy to get you up and going pretty quick. I just gave it a quick test and I'm not AS impressed with it as i was before putting it thru my own shit.

For Example here is a sample of what it shit out with one of my ideas.
20220519 EZD3 BANDMATE SAMPLE.mp3

And then here is what i put together on my own as a non-drummer but as what a guitar player would want to hear if i had a durmmer to tell what to do and not argue with me. :happytrees:
20220519 EZD3 SHANMATE SAMPLE.mp3

Mines way friggin' cooler. :cheers1:

Now, that said though, for the heaps of riffs and ideas i have laying about with no pre-existing drums it has been pretty cool for an idea of where to start. One for example as i mentioned earlier up thread presented me with a drum idea i wouldn't ever thought of. At the time of capturing the idea and recording the guitar fumbling i had an idea what i thought it could sound like. What the AI band mate laid down instead was actually kind of cooler and i could see myself building off of that. I guess it's it's all in how you want to employ the tool and what extent a person wants to use it like anything else. :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Oh and those aren't the EZD3 sounds either. I built the bandmate midi in the EZD3 standalone software, exported it out so i could import into reaper which still has the EZD2 plug on it.

I'm still futzing around with the actual EZD3 Kits and sounds. They seem to have mega loads more voodoo spice and presets available to go thru. I almost had a freakin' panic attack tonight when i thought i wasn't allowed to mix and match kit pieces anymore. turns out they just moved that feature to the toppest leftist corner in the UI instead of a flyout on each piece of the kit. I think i like the old EZD2 way of the flyout rather then the stationary little drop box in the top left corner.

thumbs down there
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Sweet Baby Jesus!!!

They have broken out the ride into it's own track in the multichannel output in the new kits!!!! Finally!!!!!

vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, comparing the two parts, EZD doesn't seem to be great at following the structure of the song.

I knows to play a beat that matches what you're doing, and it does some tasteful fills; but it doesn't know when to change up the energy.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ok, I sat down and spent some time with the bandmate feature.

Ehhhh. It kind of sucks. It's more or less just a streamlined version of the groove selector from previous versions that can sometimes kind of match the kick to your song but can almost never catch the stops.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:52 pm Ok, I sat down and spent some time with the bandmate feature.

Ehhhh. It kind of sucks. It's more or less just a streamlined version of the groove selector from previous versions that can sometimes kind of match the kick to your song but can almost never catch the stops.
Yes it isn't that great for anything that isn't E,A,D G singer songwriter progressions really.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:37 pm
Yes it isn't that great for anything that isn't E,A,D G singer songwriter progressions really.
I wasn't even doing anything particularly complicated with it. I tried a couple of different instruments for it to match (scratch guitar and bleep-bloopy-drums)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

UPDATE: I am loving this way more than EZD2

Way more.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You think it's worth me updating mine even though i have superior?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:45 am UPDATE: I am loving this way more than EZD2

Way more.
If you ever finished recording something I'd be able to make knowing comments about the clarity of the ride cymbal in the mix ... :nyuk:

2023, eh? I can feel it. :like:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:17 am You think it's worth me updating mine even though i have superior?
I would doubt it.

I've been using EZD3 more lately, and it's pretty good. More options than EZ2. A little easier to separate things out and mix as I want. A lot more extra channels that I don't need (3 channels of room for the kit; 2 channels of room for the hand percussion; stereo compression bus; stereo distortion bus; etc)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:14 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:45 am UPDATE: I am loving this way more than EZD2

Way more.
If you ever finished recording something I'd be able to make knowing comments about the clarity of the ride cymbal in the mix ... :nyuk:

2023, eh? I can feel it. :like:
:lollers2: maybe!!!
JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:17 am You think it's worth me updating mine even though i have superior?
Not really. No. For all the reasons VHS illuminated and also because alot of the neat bells and whistles and improvements I am noticing are little updates to old expansion kits / packs i bought back in the original EZD.