Reaper issue

General recording topics.
liv_rong

Reaper issue

Post by liv_rong »

I am trying to insert some wav files into Reaper and it says they are offline.

This isnt an issue where the directory has changed, I know how to fix that.

I am going into the the Insert tab and selecting files from a folder where the project is saved. A brand new project with nothing else in it.

I tried teh googz but it keeps trying to tell me how to fix the moved files/changed directory.

Any ideas? What simple bullshit am I missing here?

Thanks!
liv_rong

Re: Reaper issue

Post by liv_rong »

The other odd thing is I can insert MP3’s no problem.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:06 pm I am trying to insert some wav files into Reaper and it says they are offline.

I am going into the the Insert tab and selecting files from a folder where the project is saved. A brand new project with nothing else in it.

I tried teh googz but it keeps trying to tell me how to fix the moved files/changed directory.

Thanks!
without googling....

Are you trying to insert a stereo wav file into a mono track? Long shot. but i feel like that did something undesirable for me many years ago when I tried it?
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:53 pm
liv_rong wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:06 pm I am trying to insert some wav files into Reaper and it says they are offline.

Thanks!
without googling....

Are you trying to insert a stereo wav file into a mono track? Long shot. but i feel like that did something undesirable for me many years ago when I tried it?
Hmm, good idea. I’ll give it a shot when I get home. Never had that issue before. I feel like it just shows two waves on top of eachother in the track. But mayne those are steep tracks lol
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I think I remember that happening to me a while back. If I remember correctly, all I ended up having to do was just start/stop playback a time or two and the files started showing as waveforms again.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Well, I couldnt figure it out. Found a few Reddit threads but they didnt solve it but a few mentioned the extension possibly being the problem. Like even though it was saved a .wav it actually wasnt so some found success by just changing the extension to something else. And some had issues with codecs and some safety bullshit encoded in to prevent filesharing etc. That didnt work. Then I found a couple threads of people having issues with m4a's and just converting converting them to something else. Usually if I have to convert something I use Reaper lol so I just found a converter online and converted them all to mp3's and inserted them that way (I didnt need super high quality anyways, these were voicemail downloads).

It was weird because I could insert other wav's or mp3's but not these particular files.

Anyways, thanks for the help and ideas @WhiskeyJack & @Tadpui
rayc

Post by rayc »

I get the off line message when I'm using a 32bit VST...while I'm tweaking the VST all wav files are blank with OFF LINE written on them.
I can't start play with the space bar at this time either.
Once I close the FX dialogue all comes good.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Wow that's weird. Yeah, probably some oddball codec or some awful DRM or something. Or maybe they're rendered at a sample rate that your audio interface doesn't support or some other random explanation. Glad that you got it sorted though! Although it sounds like you've got a really elaborate method of checking your voice mail :D
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:03 am it sounds like you've got a really elaborate method of checking your voice mail :D
:lol: I was sharing old voicemails from my last job on my podcast.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bummer. I hate when a software can defeat and deflate a good thing. So frustrating. Well at least you found a work around i guess so moving forward with your project!!

You are a big iphone guy too hey? I wonder if it is some weird proprietary apple nonsense when writing the .wav file that made it wongo to use in an windows environment?
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:26 pm

You are a big iphone guy too hey? I wonder if it is some weird proprietary apple nonsense when writing the .wav file that made it wongo to use in an windows environment?
It was actually from my desk phone so it came from some phone software from our network, it was a ShoreTel system if that means anything to you. When you got a voicemail you could listen from your desk phone or from the app on your computer. It also automatically emailed you a .wav file which was handy so I could screen calls in the field or on weekends etc. You could also use the app to download the .wav file. So, maybe there was some odd security feature to prevent you from editing or some shit.

I am sure there was some codec or something causing the issue. It is weird because it plays on Windows Media Player and VLC.