NGKD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

NGKD

Post by Lt. Bob »

got one of these since they were only 200 bucks complete

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-projec ... guitar-kit

Why?
Who the fuck knows ....... I have a plethora of guitars ..........but mostly because I want a black light painted guitar. ....
I'm a huge fan of black light and posters and psychedelia and all that. My music rooms look like Spencer's Gifts at night ....... lol

So there's this woman on FB that does spectacular black light painted git bodies but it was gonna end up being more than I wanted to pay.
So wifey and I are gonna blacklight this.

We'll print out various things I want and use those like stencils and and then the girl said she uses acrylics you can get anywhere so we'll color it up ...... I'll see what a good clear coat for it might be and I'll have my blacklight guitar.

Should be fun but prolly won't get to it until I'm not gigging 5 nights a week
CrowsofFritz

Re: NGKD

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Looks cool—only thing I don’t like is the shape of that headstock.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

That'll be a fun project @Lt. Bob! I've just started looking for a Tele kit to build, but I'm a little tentative to actually go through with it. I think that I'd be OK at actually putting it together, but applying a finish scares me a bit. I could honestly do it, I've just never tried finish work. And I'd be super bummed to ruin a perfectly good guitar with a sloppy amateur paint job.

@CrowsofFritz I think that StewMac's headstocks are basically "blanks". Headstocks are pretty much the only defensibly copyrighted pieces of wood on a guitar, so they can't just make it a Fender headstock. The material is all there, I think that the idea is that you could trace and cut out a Fender shape on your own...it'd be a legal nightmare if they tried to do it for you though :)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:17 pm Looks cool—only thing I don’t like is the shape of that headstock.
they actually show you in the instructions to cut that down and how to make a template of whatever shape you want.

But I'm leaving it as is because that'll give more room for black light paint.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:26 pm That'll be a fun project @Lt. Bob! I've just started looking for a Tele kit to build, but I'm a little tentative to actually go through with it. I think that I'd be OK at actually putting it together, but applying a finish scares me a bit. I could honestly do it, I've just never tried finish work. And I'd be super bummed to ruin a perfectly good guitar with a sloppy amateur paint job.
don't finish it ........ just tung oil it or one of those wipe on finishes .... can't really mess them up.
rayc

Post by rayc »

It looks like fun. A 'blacklight" guitar - you should have it ready for Halloween.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool Bob, I'm sure you'll get it setup and playing great.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Nice! You have a lot of guitars I imagine!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck yeah, nice kit. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Neat!

So are you gonna have a black background then? Will the stencils be visible under regular light?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:35 am Nice! You have a lot of guitars I imagine!
this'll be 20
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:36 am Neat!

So are you gonna have a black background then? Will the stencils be visible under regular light?
it's gonna be all neon (black light) paint so it'll look about the same whether lit up or not ..... think Yellow Submarine with mushrooms
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:58 pm got one of these since they were only 200 bucks complete

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-projec ... guitar-kit

Why?
Who the fuck knows ....... I have a plethora of guitars ..........but mostly because I want a black light painted guitar. ....
I'm a huge fan of black light and posters and psychedelia and all that. My music rooms look like Spencer's Gifts at night ....... lol

So there's this woman on FB that does spectacular black light painted git bodies but it was gonna end up being more than I wanted to pay.
So wifey and I are gonna blacklight this.

We'll print out various things I want and use those like stencils and and then the girl said she uses acrylics you can get anywhere so we'll color it up ...... I'll see what a good clear coat for it might be and I'll have my blacklight guitar.

Should be fun but prolly won't get to it until I'm not gigging 5 nights a week
I too am a black light fan. Local groups around here, when I was a kit hanging at the edge of the stage, used to have two or three, 2 bulb, 60" black light fixtures laying on the stage lighting up the groovy colors and white shirts! White strobe lights were also abundant!
Problem for me, most of my front teeth are crowns (caps) and in front of a black light the tooth stubs show through the crowns and look like little black nuggets all across the front of my mouth, lol! Makes me look scary in addition to ugly. And it's hard to keep your trap shut when you're jamming!

Enjoy your project!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

einstein magoo wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:06 am
I too am a black light fan. Local groups around here, when I was a kit hanging at the edge of the stage, used to have two or three, 2 bulb, 60" black light fixtures laying on the stage lighting up the groovy colors and white shirts! White strobe lights were also abundant!
Problem for me, most of my front teeth are crowns (caps) and in front of a black light the tooth stubs show through the crowns and look like little black nuggets all across the front of my mouth, lol! Makes me look scary in addition to ugly. And it's hard to keep your trap shut when you're jamming!

Enjoy your project!
wow ...... that's weird!

Sorry you can't be black lighted at a gig.

When I was in college I blacked out my room with tin foil on the windows so it was pitch black even during the day and covered every inbch of the walls and ceiling with blacklight posters.
When you turned on the blacklight you could read a book with the light from the posters!! :lollers2:
paulman

Post by paulman »

Sweet! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HOw did i miss this thread ???

@Lt. Bob this is super exciting!!! I can't wait to see it unfold. Should turn out pretty rad!!!

@Tadpui Just get some scrap wood and practice your finishing chops on those first. I did that and was pretty thankful i had. You can learn a lot and work out some kinks in the process rather than risking it all on your guitar. I'd recommend you try that first for sure if you are a little apprehensive before buying the kit. You will surprise yourself for sure!! 👍
:happytrees: