ISO delay recommendations

DIY Studio Stuff
vomitHatSteve

ISO delay recommendations

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So I've got an Electra analog delay pedal.

It's kind of a piece of crap because I've been beating it to death for the last 15 years. But, my friend who runs a guitar store tells me they're pretty valuable, and Reverb agrees with him. $125 for one in good condition. $65 for a broken one!

Mine works, but the LED has slipped out of place, the knobs are a little floaty, and now the footswitch is starting to fail. I'm not super attached to this thing, so I'm probably just gonna swap it out. So what delays do you guys like?
The one feature that I really need in a delay (besides being functional) is for the feedback knob to go above 1 and for the pitch to shift as you change the repeat speed (a la, basically every analog delay in the world)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: ISO delay recommendations

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Paging at Dr. @liv_rong
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've only ever owned one delay, the JHS Panther Cub. I like it but don't necessarily love it. I feel like the shortest delay time isn't quite short enough, and the "mix" seems a little too sensitive. And it has a tendency to "run away" when I make just the wrong sound on my guitar. But it's a great sounding analog delay, lots of character to it.

I briefly played with a JHS 3 Series delay at the shop a couple of weeks ago and I thought it sounded nice. Just your basic no-frills analog delay.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

TC Flashback. It's the only one I have so I can recommend it but nothing else.

It does about a million different things and will do all sorts of weird ass shit.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Caline "Blue Ocean". Supposedly a clone of Mad Professor's "Deep Blue Delay". It does the glitchy infinite loop and pitch tweaking thing you want, and is cheap.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'll give a 2nd vote for the TC Flashback. Its got loads of functions that I think you'll like. I have the Flashback 2 which has a few more options than Greg's one: It has a built in expression pedal on the footswitch which you'll have heaps of fun with and there's this really weird delay called "Crystals" which I actually get quite a lot of use out of and it goes mental when you press the expression function.

Reasonably cheap too.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

For simple I like the JHS 3-Series Delay too. I have it on my second board.

I’ve owned probably 20 different delay pedals from $30 all the way up to $400, I love delay. I like more saturated, wonky types of sounds. My favorite ever is the Strymon El Capistan. I actually sold it once then came back to it a couple years later.

The TC is fine but I found it a little sterile and boring to be honest. I think in a song it fits fine, but just playing around with it I didn’t find it inspiring. Now their reverb I found much more fun.

And the tried and true DD7 is still an awesome pedal! Boss gets overlooked. Actually if I had to choose between the 3-Series and the DD7 I’d pick the DD7.

Take a look at all the cheap Chinese pedals on Amazon, they are basically all the same clones and they are dirt cheap. Not bad sounding either. I’ve had a bunch of them.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Rawk. I will check some of these out. Thanks!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Also, with TC you get that TonePrint bollocks which I've never used, probably never will use, but I'm sure its the sort of thing that VHS would enjoy.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:29 am Also, with TC you get that TonePrint bollocks which I've never used, probably never will use, but I'm sure its the sort of thing that VHS would enjoy.
I tried it once about ten years ago. I couldn't figure it out and have never gone back to it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I should get back into TonePrint with my HoF mini. Its just a one knob pedal and at the moment I have a reverb set on it which goes from imperceptible to cavernous in a fraction of the dial. I only really use it when I'm just noodling around, I never have reverb on when I record.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:53 am I should get back into TonePrint with my HoF mini. Its just a one knob pedal and at the moment I have a reverb set on it which goes from imperceptible to cavernous in a fraction of the dial. I only really use it when I'm just noodling around, I never have reverb on when I record.
Ha the only reverb I ever use is big stupid excessive amounts of drippy spring reverb. I either use no reverb or all of the reverb. There is no in between.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I think I'll see if I can load up a drippy drippy
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is tone print just a convolution engine?
I actually do have a pedal to do that. I use it for cab simulation

I might just go with that blue ocean. $30 is right about what I'm quite happy to drop on a swap in replacement for the dying one.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

My buddies use the MXR Carbon Copy or the Strymon El Capistan.
Also a few Memory Man fans around here too. I and a couple other friends use the Flashback. I've bought a bunch of cheap ones but they sound, well, cheap. At the moment I'm looking at getting the TC Electronics Plethora x5 as I can get rid of most of my pedal board by using it and expand it's usefulness at the same time.

I used to mess around with the tone print thing. There's a library of thousands of presets for all of their pedals that offer it. You can create your own folder so you can save the ones you like without having to go through all of them, just the ones you like. If I actually get the Plethora, I'll probably use the tone print thing while I'm setting things up. Probably less so after unless I need specific sounds for whatever reason. I must say, I much prefer not using a lot of pedals but some bands I'm in require more tone/texture changes.