April Romp

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

April Romp

Post by rayc »

An attempt at a Flamin Groovies Jumpin In The Night, (the album), style thing.
Yep, it doesn't have Cyril's guitar which hampers things but let me know what may help.
This one is, sadly, ITB.
Guitars & bass through amp in a box devices as we have builders on site.
In A as usual with the occasional borrowing.
No lyrics or melody - just looking for mix/arrangement thoughts at this point in time.
July 17th Mix
Worked on the drums and some bits n pieces guitar stuff.
byrdspunkz1707.mp3
The bare bones of a melodic idea has been added and I've changed the drums, again.
I've also dumped the solo, put in a new one only four bars long to allow the chorus another round.
15th July Mix
byrdspunkz1904bc.mp3
I've attempted to address the fizz, drum intro, wayward toms and 2nd guitar start ...
I've replaced the tom part entirely, I'm not 100% on the slightly disco hihat playing but it might not be an issue to other ears.

A little more tweaking and a 12 string added

Back to the tom drums - though they're tidier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Re: April Romp

Post by Tadpui »

I just discovered Flamin Groovies for myself yesterday, what a coincidence that you mention them :) I watched a vid yesterday about proto-punk and all of the various influences that came together and the Flamin Groovies were among the bunch. I actually went and watched a couple vids of their songs, I liked it. I can hear that driving force here.

The very first note of the drums coming in...sounds like they missed a beat or something. Guitars sound good, but maybe a little extraneous fizz coming from the left-hand guitar. I like the minor chord things in the chorus section. Solo bass bit sounds good to me. The toms on the drums wander a bit relative to the driving guitars towards the end there.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:00 am The very first note of the drums coming in...sounds like they missed a beat or something. Guitars sound good, but maybe a little extraneous fizz coming from the left-hand guitar. I like the minor chord things in the chorus section. Solo bass bit sounds good to me. The toms on the drums wander a bit relative to the driving guitars towards the end there.
Thanks Tad,
good detail to work on.
I discovered the Groovies when the Shake Some Action album came out in the late 70s. Lots of the cooler jangle bands played a cover of the title track because it was perfect jangle power pop. I saw them in Sydney in 87...it was their 2nd best line up.
They recorded an album live in the studio while here. One Night Stand.
The only downside to that era of the band was that the 2nd guitarist used a turbo phaser effect too much.

a. 1st drum beat
b)Left hand fizz
c) toms toward the end.
PHANQUE
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

FGs would never go anywhere near those chord changes... :lollers:

I agree with Tad's findings... guitar is a tad fizzy for that style I think, but ITB, probably you don't have your normal range of control. :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, lots of fizzy guitar. The timing of the drums is pretty weird, it happens the 2nd time they come back into, although its not quite so noticable the 2nd time. When the 2nd guitar comes in at the start sounds a bit weird too, just the timing and the placement of it, probably cos of the off time drums though. This will sound fine when you replace the guitars with real amps. You'll be able to let things ring out and feedback a bit over the bass sections then too.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ta David @Armistice ,
+1 on the fizz. You're right, they wouldn't go near it - not change as often, wouldn't be in A most likely, and would, probably, use a more trad, less linear, progression. I'll work on the fizz.
Thanks James @JD01,
+2 on fizz. Yes, I'll see what happens when I fix the drums...interestingly BIAB drum suffer from the human element quite a bit as the sections aren't quantized...in this one they move forward and back against a grid quite a bit.
I'll have to use visuals to deal with the fizz at it seems to be in one of my tinnitus zones.
I HOPE to do real amps but that'll depend on a bundle of factors - not just the builders but also the women of the household.
Yes, it misses the natural squeal, sustain and feedback when called to a sudden halt.
Plenty for me to address upon the morrow.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Not familiar with the source material, so I can't really comment on that.

I don't really have a problem with the fizz.
The second guitar feels a little abrupt when it comes in. Does that channel have any kind of noise floor that can fade in before it starts to get more of that live amp feel?
I can hear what everyone's saying about the drums at the start. Seems like it might just be a kind of awkward fill.

Tones sound good and balanced.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Just got a chance to listen to this, at least the latest upload. . .I am not familiar with the source material either but, I have to say, you have a really unmistakable style with all of your songs. Within the first few seconds I know it's an @rayc song and I love that!

No critiques here, just enjoyed listening!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I listened to mixes 1 and 3.

Between the two I liked mix 1 better. It's much fuller and the drums are more forward. It's a better drum part too. The busy high-hat in mix 3 isn't working IMO.

I liked the fizzy guitar sound in the couple seconds of the intro when it was the only thing playing. In the mix tho, I agree that it doesn't work. So I like the guitar tones in mix 3 a bit better.
rayc

Post by rayc »

TripleM wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:17 pm I listened to mixes 1 and 3.

Between the two I liked mix 1 better. It's much fuller and the drums are more forward. It's a better drum part too. The busy high-hat in mix 3 isn't working IMO.

I liked the fizzy guitar sound in the couple seconds of the intro when it was the only thing playing. In the mix tho, I agree that it doesn't work. So I like the guitar tones in mix 3 a bit better.
I agree, particularly, about the drums.
Reinstated.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Listening to 4.
The volume roll on for the second guitar addresses that issue nicely.
new opening drum fill is much better.
rayc

Post by rayc »

New mix, new drums...may need the front end cut on them, I've added the vaguest of melodies by midi and will slowly refine that as I find some lyrics.
I dumped the existing solo and dropped in a new crappy place holder one - just four bars, to allow the chorus another run through.
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

On the July 15th mix... I think the drum part on this one is the best of them. The one thing I'd look at is the tone on the snare. It's a bit dull sounding. I'd personally like a little more snap or high end.
rayc

Post by rayc »

TripleM wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:19 pm On the July 15th mix... I think the drum part on this one is the best of them. The one thing I'd look at is the tone on the snare. It's a bit dull sounding. I'd personally like a little more snap or high end.
Thanks MMM,
The drums are a stereo file so improving the snap is a little problematic.
I've attempted to lift it through surgical EQ & some reverb.
Cheers
rayc