NBD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

NBD

Post by Greg_L »

The madness continues....

New to me 1966 Mosrite Mark X Ventures bass. :crazy:

I'm pretty sure it's a 66 anyway. It's got the features of a mid 60s Ventures bass - super slim short scale neck, neck binding, microdot inlays, all the carves and contours that Mosrite is known for. I still need to rip it apart and check pot codes, neck pocket stamps, etc. It's been refinished in my new color fetish, white, so that's a bonus. Besides the paint, it's seemingly got all the original goodies that make this one pretty special - M knobs, closed-back duckfoot tuners, original pickups, original bridge, rosewood tailpiece, switch-tip, strap buttons, etc. Original case! I need to give it a setup and clean the frets and pots and stuff. The neck pickup flops around a little, so I need to re-spring it probably. No big deal. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Re: NBD

Post by JD01 »

Fucking hell, have you won the lottery or something?
That thing looks immaculate.

That's a proper lovely looking bass. Really want to here how it sounds.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 am Fucking hell, have you won the lottery or something?
Oil and gas baby!!!! :not worthy: :not worthy:

No, for real though, while I have been piling up guitars lately, I've been working some amazing deals....and I sold one for massive profit, so it's not been too damaging to the old bank account.

That thing looks immaculate.

That's a proper lovely looking bass. Really want to here how it sounds.
I was familiar with this bass already before I got it. It belonged to a friend of mine. He had some excessively heavy strings on it so I never really heard it for "my" kind of sound, but I know it's got a thumpy and plucky typical short-scale kind of sound. I'm gonna restring and set it up over the weekend.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:44 am I've been working some amazing deals....and I sold one for massive profit, so it's not been
The Angus? My vintage guitar fund just got turned into a car. But I still have the spare for a new guitar/bass.
I don't have anything left to sell though
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:54 am
The Angus? My vintage guitar fund just got turned into a car. But I still have the spare for a new guitar/bass.
I don't have anything left to sell though
Yeah the Angus paid for all of the Johnny Mosrite with a nice chunk left over.

This bass was $1000. I'm not into treating guitars as investments, but for that price, and it being a mid-60s Mosrite bass with original case that's not wrecked, I couldn't pass it up.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:06 am This bass was $1000. I'm not into treating guitars as investments, but for that price, and it being a mid-60s Mosrite bass with original case that's not wrecked, I couldn't pass it up.
Cool, that sounds a like a steal. There's just not that much vintage gear in the UK. The stuff that's hear tends to come in through dealers - you very rarely hear things like "Oh, my dad's mate is selling a 60s P-Bass". I don't think USA imports were even available in the UK until the mid 60s.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

cool ..... that was my first bass although mine was sunburst until I stripped it and sprinkled glitter on it to make it a 'flake'.

Nice score man!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:22 am
Cool, that sounds a like a steal. There's just not that much vintage gear in the UK. The stuff that's hear tends to come in through dealers - you very rarely hear things like "Oh, my dad's mate is selling a 60s P-Bass". I don't think USA imports were even available in the UK until the mid 60s.
Yeah fortunately for us that's pretty common here. The U.S. is where most of the desirable stuff comes from so a lot of it is still here sitting in closets or attics or under beds somewhere. They're here already. And it helps living in cities or regions where American music is popular. Here in Texas, country music and blues is big so vintage Fender amps and Teles are fucking everywhere. The guy that I got this from just got his hands on 78 P-Bass in a literal brother-in-law deal. It was his brother-in-law's dad's bass since new. The dad passed away so his bass is getting sold, but it's staying in the family. That kind of stuff happens a lot. It's kind of how I ended up with this Mosrite bass. It was a friend-to-friend kind of deal. He did try to sell it out in the open market but he doesn't have the time or patience to mess with online sales. I've been in his ear about that bass for years. He finally said "gimme a grand and come get it". I damn near broke my feet running to the bank.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:24 am cool ..... that was my first bass although mine was sunburst until I stripped it and sprinkled glitter on it to make it a 'flake'.

Nice score man!
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Yeah it's a fun one. I think it'll be cool with my Bassman clone.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Awesome! I remember you posting a pic of that one not too long ago. Glad you ended up with it. It's so funny how everything is "wrong" on that bass by design, and it just works and looks cool. I guess the same goes for the guitars, but it seems exaggerated on the bass since everything is bigger. Great score man!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

😃😃😃😃😃

Dude, your gonna need a separate house for all your shit hahah!!!

I am curious to hear this bad boy.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:28 pm Awesome! I remember you posting a pic of that one not too long ago. Glad you ended up with it. It's so funny how everything is "wrong" on that bass by design, and it just works and looks cool. I guess the same goes for the guitars, but it seems exaggerated on the bass since everything is bigger. Great score man!
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:49 pm 😃😃😃😃😃

Dude, your gonna need a separate house for all your shit hahah!!!

I am curious to hear this bad boy.
Thanks dudes. The fucking cases....too many cases. I've got them tetris stacked in a corner. :spacepalm:
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Noiiiiiiice. That thing looks immaculate. If you didn’t tell me it was 60s, I wouldn’t have thought that at all.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:49 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:22 am
Yeah fortunately for us that's pretty common here. The U.S. is where most of the desirable stuff comes from so a lot of it is still here sitting in closets or attics or under beds somewhere. They're here already. And it helps living in cities or regions where American music is popular. Here in Texas, country music and blues is big so vintage Fender amps and Teles are fucking everywhere. The guy that I got this from just got his hands on 78 P-Bass in a literal brother-in-law deal. It was his brother-in-law's dad's bass since new. The dad passed away so his bass is getting sold, but it's staying in the family. That kind of stuff happens a lot. It's kind of how I ended up with this Mosrite bass. It was a friend-to-friend kind of deal. He did try to sell it out in the open market but he doesn't have the time or patience to mess with online sales. I've been in his ear about that bass for years. He finally said "gimme a grand and come get it". I damn near broke my feet running to the bank.
Thats pretty awesome. There might be the odd Hofner laying about in the UK but the numbers will be way lower.

So are you gonna do mixes entirely using Mosrites soon?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:07 pm
Thats pretty awesome. There might be the odd Hofner laying about in the UK but the numbers will be way lower.
Yeah but yall do have the better amps IMO. American guitars, British amps, that's the winning combo!
I'm gonna use them on my pre-60s recording challenge for sure. I'm thinking I could use the bass for nearly everything from here on out. The guitars won't get used for everything else I do though. Sometimes, sure. But sometimes Les Pauls and SGs are better.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:28 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:07 pm
Yeah but yall do have the better amps IMO. American guitars, British amps, that's the winning combo!
I'm gonna use them on my pre-60s recording challenge for sure. I'm thinking I could use the bass for nearly everything from here on out. The guitars won't get used for everything else I do though. Sometimes, sure. But sometimes Les Pauls and SGs are better.
Yeah, I still have an eye out for a 1W Marshall. I do like Fenders though. I started on my pre-60s song today, just arranging it. Don't think I'll do much proper recording on it until next week, it's going to be very silly.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:57 pm

Thanks dudes. The fucking cases....too many cases. I've got them tetris stacked in a corner. :spacepalm:
How many ya' got?

I have 17 ..... I do feel like I'm a bit short of maximum happiness.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:50 pm
How many ya' got?

I have 17 ..... I do feel like I'm a bit short of maximum happiness.
12 hard cases, 3 gig bags.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Damn dude, you must be rich!
rayc

Post by rayc »

A lovely one.
Well done.
Def. a bargain.