NBD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
muttley

Re: NBD

Post by muttley »

I'm not a bass guy as rule but that is sweet. :cool: :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Thanks dudes. I should be able to get a little work done on it today. Got some new strings. I'm not sure what gauge to use on this thing so I just went with my usual bass spec Super Slinkys. I also got a set of Rotos in an even lighter gauge so we'll see how that goes with this short scale.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

That's awesome! I was going to post this pic in the thread about cool gigs but it's probably better suited here. I was doing sound for a friend's band and the bass player shows up with one of these. Very cool guitar and it sounded great.
IMG_20190816_181557.jpg

Enjoy your new bass!!! :steins: :illdrinktothat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:19 pm That's awesome! I was going to post this pic in the thread about cool gigs but it's probably better suited here. I was doing sound for a friend's band and the bass player shows up with one of these. Very cool guitar and it sounded great.

IMG_20190816_181557.jpg

Enjoy your new bass!!! :steins: :illdrinktothat:
Awesome. That's a Mosrite Celebrity bass.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

A few pics from this weekend's clean up and set up...

Neck pocket. Date stamp has mostly been lost to time but you can just barely make out "11" or maybe "14" and 1966"

Neck heel is crystal clear though. The "0005" stamp, to the best of my knowledge, means it was the 5th neck made that day. I don't know why Mr Moseley used 4-digit body and neck stamp numbers because there's no way he was hand making 1000 bodies and necks in one day. But whatever. The body and neck are 1966. I've also read that the bodies and necks were stamped together at assembly, so maybe the body stamp would say 0005 too if it wasn't worn away.

The pots seem to be original. This volume pot dates to the 47th week of 1966. I couldn't get a good pic of the tone pot, but it dates to the 51st week of 1966. I had to clean a layer of powdery corrosion off of everything and clean/lube the pots, but they work just fine. The jack and all the solder connections/wiring seem to be untouched. So unless these pots were changed later in the same year the bass was built, it's a very late 66...probably among the very last basses or guitars made by Mosrite that year. I don't know about the shielding though. I don't know who did that or when.

The "M" knobs.

Neck stamp serial number. This number doesn't really mean too much as far as I know in Mosrite world. The number itself doesn't follow any rhyme or reason that I know of. They're seemingly pretty random, but the number does put the guitars into a year range. I need to research that more. The body/neck stamps are far more significant, but this is the neck pickup and serial number.

The bridge and tailpiece. The bridge saddles are simply little dowels of brass slotted to accept the strings. Very crude, very simple. The tailpiece, by contrast, is a gorgeous little piece of rosewood bound to a chrome backing plate.

Microdots, microfrets.

Zero nut, string guide, big beautiful headstock, duckfoot tuners. I put some very light Rotosounds on it.

Ready to thump
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

That looks awesome! Enjoy

:illdrinktothat:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Looking good man! Sharp looking bass nice addition to the collection for sure !
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Still can’t believe it’s from 1966. It looks so sleek!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I love that thing, it looks sharp! Looking forward to hearing that old fella.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:05 pm That looks awesome! Enjoy

:illdrinktothat:
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:17 pm Looking good man! Sharp looking bass nice addition to the collection for sure !
CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:33 pm Still can’t believe it’s from 1966. It looks so sleek!
Tadpui wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:16 pm I love that thing, it looks sharp! Looking forward to hearing that old fella.
Thanks fellas. It's pretty cool to have for sure. :not worthy:

One more pic....I thought this was interesting.

This is the Mosrite bass sitting on a stand next to a P-Bass. They're pretty identical in size. But the Mosrite feels way smaller by comparison. It's a shorter scale, but even though the body and neck are very similar dimensionally you wouldn't know it to play the Mosrite. The P-Bass feels like a beast in comparison. The Mosrite is nimble and light and much more resonant.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

That last picture captures the difference in scale really well.
Cheers
rayc
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Very Groovy!
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I'd guess it feels a bit less beastly because the 2x2 tuner config makes the whole thing a few inches shorter than the 4-on-a-side. Also, the carved scoop completely around the body gives it a less massive appearance than the P-bass.

Now this... this is nice!
Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:38 am Microdots, microfrets.
That neck looks really ... comfy. No sharpness, just the right amount of curve/roundness on the edges, easy on the hands.

You could even say ...

it's a "joy to be held". :drums:

(But we'd have to take your word for it. lol)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:39 pm I'd guess it feels a bit less beastly because the 2x2 tuner config makes the whole thing a few inches shorter than the 4-on-a-side. Also, the carved scoop completely around the body gives it a less massive appearance than the P-bass.

That neck looks really ... comfy. No sharpness, just the right amount of curve/roundness on the edges, easy on the hands.

You could even say ...

it's a "joy to be held". :drums:

(But we'd have to take your word for it. lol)
Lol it is very comfy to play. So easy. It really is nearly identical in size to a P-Bass, the necks are about the same length, neck joint about the same place, same number of frets, but the Mosrite's 4 inch shorter scale makes a big difference in playability.

I still need to fine tune my setup but it's pretty damn good just as it is.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Has it had a re-fret? Those look pretty much unplayed.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:02 am Has it had a re-fret? Those look pretty much unplayed.
I really don't think so. They are the tiny thin low flat frets that are typical on Mosrites. The lower frets have a few little dings and string divots in them.

I did clean the tarnish and gunk off of them before that pic.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice score...looks like it has been kept well.