Recording Challenge #9 - Pre 1960

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Manslick

Re: Recording Challenge #9 - Pre 1960

Post by Manslick »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:43 pm
Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:29 pm

Lol holy crap I've never actually listened to this song. So dark! Love it.
I don't think I'd ever listened beyond the first verse. Great stuff, and great rendition of it @Manslick!
Thanks
Louisville KY
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Manslick wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:53 pm 1959
Mack the knife.

That’s excellent! I don’t know the song but you did a nice job with the recording and performance.
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:13 pm
Manslick wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:53 pm 1959
Mack the knife.

That’s excellent! I don’t know the song but you did a nice job with the recording and performance.
Thanks - can't decide if I want to continue with this or not. It's not an easy one - for me anywho.
Louisville KY
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bobby's beguiling hit pop tune essaying, from a safe distance, the mafia in music.
Nice rendition - the one thing that struck me was the hihat didn't swing.
Cheers
rayc
Manslick

Post by Manslick »

"Bobby's beguiling hit pop tune essaying, from a safe distance, the mafia in music.
Nice rendition - the one thing that struck me was the hihat didn't swing."
Hey Ray, thanks for the spin. Yeah the hats are only ones what I could dial up from my Reason DAW built-in drum loops that seems to fit the pattern.
They are titled Jason McGerr.
You know anything about Betamonkee?
I looked and there are a lot of loops there.
But to buy gigs of them doesn't make a lot of sense to me, to find just one swinger.
I have a real drum kit, but I don't really play drums, and the attempts I've made for this, well, they suck pretty hard.
I feel the beginnings of a pull of a never ending loop of frustration with this.
Louisville KY
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Only about 3 weeks late! Here's mine
http://therecordingrebels.com/viewtopic.php?t=3857
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Huzzah! I got the instruments for mine tracked. I need to do vox this week.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alright. I got the first draft of my submission done:
https://www.therecordingrebels.com/viewtopic.php?t=3865

It's cheating a little bit because most of the songs in this medley are post 2000 even, but I figure including one song from the 18th century averages it out!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:42 pm Alright. I got the first draft of my submission done:

It's cheating a little bit because most of the songs in this medley are post 2000 even, but I figure including one song from the 18th century averages it out!
Wow, that was pretty well done, must have been a lot of work. I dig it but agree with the Greg that I would say it barely qualifies for this challenge lol but since this challenge is just that, a challenge, it pretty fucking cool!

As for mine, I’ve got the guitar to just about a place I’m comfortable playing to a click relatively cleanly so hopefully soon I will record a scratch track so I can then come up with some drums and track them. I’m likely a few weeks away still. I’m pretty excited about this as it will be the first full song I’ve recorded/produced in over two years. I suck.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:32 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:42 pm Alright. I got the first draft of my submission done:

Wow, that was pretty well done, must have been a lot of work. I dig it but agree with the Greg that I would say it barely qualifies for this challenge lol but since this challenge is just that, a challenge, it pretty fucking cool!

As for mine, I’ve got the guitar to just about a place I’m comfortable playing to a click relatively cleanly so hopefully soon I will record a scratch track so I can then come up with some drums and track them. I’m likely a few weeks away still. I’m pretty excited about this as it will be the first full song I’ve recorded/produced in over two years. I suck.
Wow, is it really that long? I always think of you as being quite prolific.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Good to hear @liv_rong!

I'm still plugging away at mine. It is a very challenging song for me, so I've been rehearsing the drums and bass for a month now (well not full time...just a couple nights per week). The wife is out of town a few days this coming week so I'm hoping to wrap it up this week.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:18 pm first full song I’ve recorded/produced in over two years. I suck.
[/quote]

Yeah, I am also surprised to hear it's been that long.
Didn't you post a song back in march or something? Or are you not counting that as a full song then?
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:18 pm
Damn, that’s a pretty cool compliment! I wish I was! I used
To have a lot of little ideas but never really full songs. Maybe like 2-5 a year.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:43 pm
Yeah, I am also surprised to hear it's been that long.
Didn't you post a song back in march or something? Or are you not counting that as a full song then?
Yeah! I haven’t posted a real song since maybe April 2020. I think Feb or March 2021 I may have posted a couple two or three part ideas, but no actual songs.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:08 pm Good to hear @liv_rong!

I'm still plugging away at mine. It is a very challenging song for me, so I've been rehearsing the drums and bass for a month now (well not full time...just a couple nights per week). The wife is out of town a few days this coming week so I'm hoping to wrap it up this week.
I hope it’s not the same as mine lol!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Here is my version of this song. It was written and first performed in 1959 for the Broadway musical. I am not a good guitar player, so it took me a while to figure out how to play even this bastardized version and I couldn't do it in one clean take unfortunately. Even worse I couldnt figure out bass parts lol, so if anyone wants to play bass on this let me know.

I recorded the main parts in stereo with two amps at the same time. The left is the Mesa and my main board and I think it sounds better/more balanced because I am using a compressor and it evens out my picking a little. Then one main overdub in the middle for a layer. Two in the intro, also recorded with both amps. And the end is like 3 layers all various stereo amps or single.

Anyways, this was fun. I havent done anything in a long time and am pretty happy how this turned out, even without bass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5k08apbnjric ... s.mp3?dl=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Mesa on the left .... what's on the right?

Very cool ..... Favorite Things is a standard done many, many ways but I don't think I've heard it like this ... very cool.
You know I'm a f an of your style right?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:20 pm Here is my version of this song. It was written and first performed in 1959 for the Broadway musical. I am not a good guitar player, so it took me a while to figure out how to play even this bastardized version and I couldn't do it in one clean take unfortunately. Even worse I couldnt figure out bass parts lol, so if anyone wants to play bass on this let me know.

I recorded the main parts in stereo with two amps at the same time. The left is the Mesa and my main board and I think it sounds better/more balanced because I am using a compressor and it evens out my picking a little. Then one main overdub in the middle for a layer. Two in the intro, also recorded with both amps. And the end is like 3 layers all various stereo amps or single.

Anyways, this was fun. I havent done anything in a long time and am pretty happy how this turned out, even without bass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5k08apbnjric ... s.mp3?dl=0
Wow that was an interesting take on it. Nice job. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:32 pm Mesa on the left .... what's on the right?

Very cool ..... Favorite Things is a standard done many, many ways but I don't think I've heard it like this ... very cool.
You know I'm a f an of your style right?
Thanks, Lt! I always appreciate your feedback!

The right is a Blackstar HT5
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:45 pm

Wow that was an interesting take on it. Nice job. :coolstorybro:
Thanks, Gerg!