Recording Challenge #9 - Pre 1960

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Tadpui

Re: Recording Challenge #9 - Pre 1960

Post by Tadpui »

wow, I love it @liv_rong! It's distinctly your style. Guitars sound great too! I initially thought of taking you up on the bass part since I've still got everything set up and ready to record, but I'm not sure I could come up with anything interesting that'd actually add to the arrangement. This sounds great! Well done.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:56 pm wow, I love it @liv_rong! It's distinctly your style. Guitars sound great too! I initially thought of taking you up on the bass part since I've still got everything set up and ready to record, but I'm not sure I could come up with anything interesting that'd actually add to the arrangement. This sounds great! Well done.
Thanks so much! You should do bass! I’m not playing anything fancy or anything lol
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:02 am Only about 3 weeks late! Here's mine
http://therecordingrebels.com/viewtopic.php?t=3857
Dude, I am so sorry I missed this! I havent been going to the Lets Have a Listen section much and that's where I just saw it. Somehow missed it in this thread!

ANYWAYS, this sounds fantastic! Awesome energy and nicely performed, nice drum programming too. It sounds a little on the dark side but it fits so well.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Well here's mine. I'll start a thread in the Listen forum for more detail and suggestions and complaints about my inability to gracefully change tempos on the fly :D

This my adaptation of Charles Mingus' Haitian Fight Song from his 1957 album The Clown. Not a "hit", I know. But period appropriate, at least?

This features our very own @Lt. Bob on saxophone, a string quartet, and a violin solo to boot. And I'm on drums, bass, and 3 guitars. Oh and like 3 taps and a shake on the tambourine.

It's pretty obvious upon first listen that Lt. Bob is the best member of this band. He's a man among boys. And a HUGE thanks for the awesome contribution to this project!

*edit* I deleted the attachment and just linked to my thread instead

https://www.therecordingrebels.com/viewtopic.php?t=3883
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay here's mine....with sexy greasy sax by @Lt. Bob!

Based on a true story. Originally done in the 1920s. The most popular version by Lloyd Price in 1959. I present to you my pre-60s challenge...Stagger Lee.
Stagger Lee.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've long loved this song & this version is another to love.
Nic sleaze on an aggressive doowop.
The Seltzer rhythm then lead solo is cool and being followed by the Lt. tooting is even better.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well .... you managed to make it sound like I sent you something that didn't suck so props for that .... lol
This song made me start practicing sax ...

rest of it is the usual Greg excellence though so that's always great to listen to
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I think I've heard something like 3 versions of this song, and they're all completely different songs.

Maybe one of our challenges should be "write your own version of Stagger Lee" :D

Edit: I forgot to comment on Gerg's version, lol. This is good. I'm surprised you didn't punk it up more. The sax sounds nice
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:20 am

Maybe one of our challenges should be "write your own version of Stagger Lee" :D
isn't that anytime one records anything?

Why one earth would anyone try to exactly recreate what someone else did with a song 50 years ago?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:33 pm Okay here's mine....with sexy greasy sax by @Lt. Bob!

Based on a true story. Originally done in the 1920s. The most popular version by Lloyd Price in 1959. I present to you my pre-60s challenge...Stagger Lee.
Stagger Lee.mp3
Hell yeah, that was awesome! That spring reverb ain't messing around, I love it. And nice sax solos @Lt. Bob! That was a lot of fun to listen to. I've only ever heard Nick Cave's version from Murder Ballads, so it was fun to hear this rendition.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:40 pm I've long loved this song & this version is another to love.
Nic sleaze on an aggressive doowop.
The Seltzer rhythm then lead solo is cool and being followed by the Lt. tooting is even better.
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:33 am well .... you managed to make it sound like I sent you something that didn't suck so props for that .... lol
This song made me start practicing sax ...

rest of it is the usual Greg excellence though so that's always great to listen to
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:20 am I think I've heard something like 3 versions of this song, and they're all completely different songs.

Edit: I forgot to comment on Gerg's version, lol. This is good. I'm surprised you didn't punk it up more. The sax sounds nice
Tadpui wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:32 pm
Hell yeah, that was awesome! That spring reverb ain't messing around, I love it. And nice sax solos @Lt. Bob! That was a lot of fun to listen to. I've only ever heard Nick Cave's version from Murder Ballads, so it was fun to hear this rendition.
:illdrinktothat: :illdrinktothat: :illdrinktothat:

Thanks yall! I know I'm late to the party but I finally got it done. :boombox

Thanks @Lt. Bob for the sax tracks. :guru: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:49 pm
Thanks @Lt. Bob for the sax tracks. :guru: :coolstorybro:
thank ye for mixing them way back! :lollers2:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:33 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:20 am

isn't that anytime one records anything?

Why one earth would anyone try to exactly recreate what someone else did with a song 50 years ago?
But, like, write a new version. New chords and lyrics and all was my point. I've never heard two versions of this song that even tell the same part of the story, let alone use the same lyrics or melody.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

hmmmm ..... I've heard a lot of versions of this song and they're all essentially the same.

I'd really like to hear others if you can point me in their direction.

For a while I was really into an Irish song called "The Night That Paddy Murphy Died' and every single version I heard was like what you described ..... just totally differing verses ...... I think eventually I found over 20 different verses but no one ever did more than 5 or 6 of them.
It was very strange.

Maybe a self replicating song?
A folk thing that just grew under its own power?
I never figured it out
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:32 pm For a while I was really into an Irish song called "The Night That Paddy Murphy Died' and every single version I heard was like what you described ..... just totally differing verses ...... I think eventually I found over 20 different verses but no one ever did more than 5 or 6 of them.
It was very strange.
That's a bit like Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah,
VOICE competition people sing the "Shrek" version but others who record it tend to chose a variety from the 40 verses written which is good.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:32 pm hmmmm ..... I've heard a lot of versions of this song and they're all essentially the same.

I'd really like to hear others if you can point me in their direction.

For a while I was really into an Irish song called "The Night That Paddy Murphy Died' and every single version I heard was like what you described ..... just totally differing verses ...... I think eventually I found over 20 different verses but no one ever did more than 5 or 6 of them.
It was very strange.

Maybe a self replicating song?
A folk thing that just grew under its own power?
I never figured it out
Yeah, lemme see if I can find a few

Those are probably the most different ones I could find (tho they're still called covers on Wikipedia).

There's a lot more that follow various blues traditions that are similar but still pretty different

Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

@vomitHatSteve that's flippin' AWESOME!!!! Thnx!

:like:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

You're welcome!