2nd line drumming

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Greg_L

Re: 2nd line drumming

Post by Greg_L »

The New Orleans "yat" accent and a Cajun accent are very different things. The "yat speak" of New Orleans natives and locals is it's own thing, and we used to always get asked if we're from NYC or Jersey. It's sort of similar to a NY/NJ accent. Go outside of N.O. and you get into a more country/cajun kind of accent. North Louisiana has a typical rural southern country type of accent. They're basically Arkansas. Fuck them. We don't count them. South central/southwest Louisiana has the Cajun accent. The southeast/New Orleans area has it's own accent.

New Orleans also doesn't really identify with "Cajun culture" like the rest of Louisiana does. There's not too much obvious Cajun influence in New Orleans. New Orleans is more....European, I guess you could say. It's got more pure French influence than Cajun-French. The food, the music, the culture of New Orleans is not very Cajun at all.

I guess again it could be compared to New York City vs the rest of New York state. NYC is it's own thing, pretty much totally independent of the rest of NY state. New Orleans is kind of the same way in Louisiana.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:31 pm The New Orleans "yat" accent and a Cajun accent are very different things. The "yat speak" of New Orleans natives and locals is it's own thing, and we used to always get asked if we're from NYC or Jersey. It's sort of similar to a NY/NJ accent. Go outside of N.O. and you get into a more country/cajun kind of accent. North Louisiana has a typical rural southern country type of accent. They're basically Arkansas. Fuck them. We don't count them. South central/southwest Louisiana has the Cajun accent. The southeast/New Orleans area has it's own accent.

New Orleans also doesn't really identify with "Cajun culture" like the rest of Louisiana does. There's not too much obvious Cajun influence in New Orleans. New Orleans is more....European, I guess you could say. It's got more pure French influence than Cajun-French. The food, the music, the culture of New Orleans is not very Cajun at all.

I guess again it could be compared to New York City vs the rest of New York state. NYC is it's own thing, pretty much totally independent of the rest of NY state. New Orleans is kind of the same way in Louisiana.
I was going to say that his accent sounded like it was New Orleans by way of Brooklyn. It really does have a strong influence of that New England kind of sound to it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:04 pm
I was going to say that his accent sounded like it was New Orleans by way of Brooklyn. It really does have a strong influence of that New England kind of sound to it.
Yeah that's it. That's the N.O. accent. It's definitely it's own thing, and to outsiders it usually reminds them of a NYC wise guy kind of accent.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

New Orleans is creole
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:54 pm New Orleans is creole
Yup, and creole aint cajun.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My mom's grandmother was a Cajun lady. Her father's mother. Total Cajun. I guess that makes me like 1/16 Cajun or something. I don't ever claim it, I don't ever even think about my history or lineage or anything, but there's a little Cajun in me somewhere.

The rest of my family is Sicilian, and they were denied access to Ellis Island in NYC so their boat was sent all the way around the US coast to come up the Mississippi River and get off in New Orleans. They didn't make it that far. For some reason they got off early in the swamps of Louisiana south of Baton Rouge and worked the sugarcane fields until they could get their shit together enough to travel to New Orleans on their own.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:58 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:54 pm New Orleans is creole
Yup, and creole aint cajun.
close cousins though .... but definitely distinct from each other even down to the spices used in cooking
paulman

Post by paulman »

I loved everything about this video. His explanation of the groove (between straight and swing) was great. His colorful, visceral way of describing and explaining things works well in conjunction with his playing. Like, if there's any confusion about what he means exactly, he clears it up by grooving the living fuck out of it.