2nd line drumming

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Lt. Bob

2nd line drumming

Post by Lt. Bob »

been surprised a few times that musicians not from La. often don't really know 2nd line ..... which is that most New Orleans of rhythms>

So here is Johnny Vidocovich talking about it .... and he's one of the major N.O. drummers ...... I have jammed with him but I was also drunk so I don't remember a lot except having fun.

Bill L

Re: 2nd line drumming

Post by Bill L »

I'm shocked at how many professional drummers can't groove on a second line. Thankfully up where I am there's tons of incredible drummers that do get it. My whole set list requires it.

As an aside, my bass player buddy and I are planning on a straight to New Orleans trip this May for our birthdays and hanging out for a couple of days. Should be great fun.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:40 pm I'm shocked at how many professional drummers can't groove on a second line. Thankfully up where I am there's tons of incredible drummers that do get it. My whole set list requires it.

As an aside, my bass player buddy and I are planning on a straight to New Orleans trip this May for our birthdays and hanging out for a couple of days. Should be great fun.
Jazzfest runs thru May 9
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:08 pm
Bill L wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:40 pm I'm shocked at how many professional drummers can't groove on a second line. Thankfully up where I am there's tons of incredible drummers that do get it. My whole set list requires it.

Jazzfest runs thru May 9
We're planning on the following week. Much less expensive and more space for us to move around. We can get a place on Bourbon St for 4 days plus air fare for around $600 each. And most of the people we want to see will still be there playing their regular gigs. Man, I had a blast when we went and I can't wait to get back.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I had never heard the term "second line drumming" before, but this dudes NO accent keeps cracking me up!

I still don't understand the term after watching, I'm afraid.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:23 pm I had never heard the term "second line drumming" before, but this dudes NO accent keeps cracking me up!

I still don't understand the term after watching, I'm afraid.
I think in context of a song, you would hear the accent. It's just subtle and syncopated. Here's a great second line groove.

Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The Maple Leaf on Oak sounds like an appropriate place for a "tree-o" to play :D

He definitely had an abstract way of describing it, but hearing it helped.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:42 pm The Maple Leaf on Oak sounds like an appropriate place for a "tree-o" to play :D

He definitely had an abstract way of describing it, but hearing it helped.
I found his attempts to describe it made it harder to understand. You're right - hearing him play it and I "got" it OK.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I might have a play around in Reaper and attempt to plot the more simple version @Bill L referenced and see what it looks like. Always interested in learning new drum rhythms.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:42 pm The Maple Leaf on Oak sounds like an appropriate place for a "tree-o" to play :D
I used to play the Maple Leaf with L'il Queenie & the Percolators ..... gig started at 3am .... it was 3-7 am and then people would leave talking about going to an after-hours place.
:lollers2:

2nd line is basically a marching cadence like the snare drum corp might do but with very heavy syncopated accents usually on the and of two.
Take any cadence and put that 'jump' in it and it's 2nd line.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 am I used to play the Maple Leaf with L'il Queenie & the Percolators ..... gig started at 3am .... it was 3-7 am and then people would leave talking about going to an after-hours place.
Man, I thought that I was a night owl!
2nd line is basically a marching cadence like the snare drum corp might do but with very heavy syncopated accents usually on the and of two.
Now that's a good explanation that I can understand. 1&2&3&4& but with some swing to it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 am
I used to play the Maple Leaf with L'il Queenie & the Percolators ..... gig started at 3am .... it was 3-7 am and then people would leave talking about going to an after-hours place.

Ah, that makes sense.

So when I wiki'd second line, it talked about unofficial parade followers. Is the etymology related to that?
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:11 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 am I used to play the Maple Leaf with L'il Queenie & the Percolators ..... gig started at 3am .... it was 3-7 am and then people would leave talking about going to an after-hours place.

Ah, that makes sense.

So when I wiki'd second line, it talked about unofficial parade followers. Is the etymology related to that?
At the end of day, a second line is a modified march. Most ethnic dance music is also a modified march. Klezmer music, Greek music, etc, are all modified marches. And it kinda makes sense as they used marches for military purposes throughout history. The second line is a combination of that and the African/Caribbean rhythms that all found their way to the port in New Orleans. Here's a modified second line to fit into a rock song:

There's plenty of examples. Like Dr. John's Iko, Iko
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Ah, that makes sense.

I don't really know .... I've always been aware of 2nd line because it's so pervasive here and I know I called it 2nd line back in high school.
But I've never really looked into where the name came from.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's guy's accent and style seems pretty typical N.O. to me. They're all like that.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Wow. I'm sure I posted the meaning of second line yesterday but it's not here. Easy to google, but I knew it anyway from the first season of Treme about 10 years back.

The people following the band in a parade in NO are the second line. How it got applied to drumming I'm not so sure.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:44 am That's guy's accent and style seems pretty typical N.O. to me. They're all like that.
Yeah ..... he basically sounds like a New Orleans native and they really all do sound like that ..... I'm told it can be hard to understand when you're not used to it .... I've heard it all my life so it sounds fairly normal to me ........ as for the drumming part, that's Vidocovich ..... a major N.O. legend and considered the best of the best.
In N.O. I'd brag about having played with him.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Jesus.... is he sober?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:22 am Yeah ..... he basically sounds like a New Orleans native and they really all do sound like that ..... I'm told it can be hard to understand when you're not used to it .... I've heard it all my life so it sounds fairly normal to me
There's a tik-tocker (?) who does Cajun cooking that my partner likes. She says sometimes that she thinks he might be playing up his accent.

This guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfU5tY ... E4DaxsTH-g
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:30 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:22 am Yeah ..... he basically sounds like a New Orleans native and they really all do sound like that ..... I'm told it can be hard to understand when you're not used to it .... I've heard it all my life so it sounds fairly normal to me
There's a tik-tocker (?) who does Cajun cooking that my partner likes. She says sometimes that she thinks he might be playing up his accent.

This guy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfU5tY ... E4DaxsTH-g
Not too much I don't think, real cajuns have a much thicker accent than that. ....... tonight I'm gonna go find a few vids with what i think of as a common normal NO accent because to be honest, to me, Vidocovich doesn't really have much of an accent at all and the cajun cook sounds fairly cajun but also not really as thick as I remember being a pretty normal accenmt.