Post some fun/cool gig stories here...

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
JD01

Re: Post some fun/cool gig stories here...

Post by JD01 »

Ah... thats a real shit biscuit.
Looks like it was probably a nice guitar before it became firewood.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Baggage handlers 1000 Guitars 0.

I hope your buddy has some sort of claim he can make for it, looks like it was a nice guitar.

I was very nervous when I had all my stuff shipped north a year ago, the residual guitars in particular rather than the electronic bits which are easier to protect, but they all made it undamaged. Even still in tune.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Armistice wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:49 pm Baggage handlers 1000 Guitars 0.

I hope your buddy has some sort of claim he can make for it, looks like it was a nice guitar.

I was very nervous when I had all my stuff shipped north a year ago, the residual guitars in particular rather than the electronic bits which are easier to protect, but they all made it undamaged. Even still in tune.
It's a touring artist so I'm sure everything is well insured. It looks like someone stood on the case at the worst possible spot. I'm really bummed because I was hoping to play it. It looks like a great instrument. He also sent a Les and a Strat that came in just fine. I played the strat yesterday so I'll probably play both tomorrow. They hit the road this weekend for a few days of rehearsal and they play 3 weeks of shows across the country.
PXL_20221024_170850212.jpg
PXL_20221024_170919695.MP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Making labels for the road cases.
PXL_20221026_145823292.jpg
Labeling the stage boxes
PXL_20221024_190513843.jpg
Most of the mics going out.
PXL_20221024_190540516.jpg
And there's this, the monitor sled for stage left. I was told there will 32 wedges on stage for this tour.
PXL_20221026_150823694.jpg
PXL_20221026_150806004.jpg
PXL_20221026_150816241.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

GEAR...cool.
Cheers
rayc
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

The venue that we provide sound for had The Tubes last night. I obviously know who they are but never really listened to them. I have to say, they were really good and it was a fun gig. And they were all really cool guys. Including their sound guy that worked with Floyd, The Who, Jeff Beck and tons of the other British rock bands.
PXL_20221104_004723961.MP.jpg
PXL_20221104_014656981.MP.jpg
PXL_20221104_014723085.jpg
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ha I forgot all about that band.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have a couple of Tubes albums...super fun sarcasm, parody and ROCK. Fee looks old without the platforms.
Cheers
rayc
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

rayc wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:28 pm I have a couple of Tubes albums...super fun sarcasm, parody and ROCK. Fee looks old without the platforms.
Amazingly, he mostly still has a voice. The other guys still had it, too. Today finds me at The Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY. I had to bring some stuff that we needed for the tour, so I got in early to deliver the stuff. Listening to sound check at the moment. Hoping to grab a bite before the show starts.
PXL_20221104_214613217.jpg
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I meant to upload this a few weeks ago. I thought @Greg_L would get a kick out of this. We had The Smithereens in for a gig and we provided the backline. So we had 3 JCM 800's and 3 4x12 cabinets. Marshall Crenshaw was doing the singing and he was playing a Mosrite 12 string. The band sounded really good and, with the exception of the bass player, we're all cool dudes.
PXL_20221210_222931492.jpg
PXL_20221211_011052537.jpg
rayc

Post by rayc »

Very cool band, cool gear & now tell us about the uncool bassist, please.
Cheers
rayc
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

rayc wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:50 pm Very cool band, cool gear & now tell us about the uncool bassist, please.
He was complaining about a "blown" speaker in one of the 4x10 cabs. I agreed with him (not really but whatever) and I started unplugging and replugging things in. At one point he says "what did you do? That's great!". What he heard was me plugging the cab he thought had a blown speaker back in after having unplugged it. And suddenly he was happy even though it was the same configuration as when he started. I legitimately unplugged the bottom cab and then plugged it back in. In all honesty, there was a rattle in one of the cabs, but not a blown speaker. And it couldn't be heard when the full band was playing; only when he played alone. He did request a lot of bass sent to his monitor and that seemed to placate him. So we just ran with it. I found out later that this guy is usually the only one that complains (whether or not it's appropriate) and the rest of the guys in the band are happy to work out any issues that may arise with more understanding. For instance, the rider requested 25' cables for the guitars (apparently bringing their own cables is a major burden) but we only have 20' cables. That wasn't a major problem but it was discussed and agreed that the 20' cables would work. You'd think it'd only be big things that are a problem but it's usually the little things that drive some of these guys nuts.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Hard to imagine The Smithereens without Pat Di Nizio - I have, on LP, one of their albums. When I was tracking down stuff to get e-versions of things recently I seem to have forgotten about them. :frown:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Armistice wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:20 pm Hard to imagine The Smithereens without Pat Di Nizio - I have, on LP, one of their albums. When I was tracking down stuff to get e-versions of things recently I seem to have forgotten about them. :frown:
I never listened to them back in the day but I did enjoy the show. At least the bits I was there for. I had a sound gig across the street so I missed the second half of the show.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bill L wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:16 pm
rayc wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:50 pm Very cool band, cool gear & now tell us about the uncool bassist, please.
He was complaining about a "blown" speaker in one of the 4x10 cabs. I agreed with him (not really but whatever) and I started unplugging and replugging things in. At one point he says "what did you do? That's great!". What he heard was me plugging the cab he thought had a blown speaker back in after having unplugged it. And suddenly he was happy even though it was the same configuration as when he started. I legitimately unplugged the bottom cab and then plugged it back in. In all honesty, there was a rattle in one of the cabs, but not a blown speaker. And it couldn't be heard when the full band was playing; only when he played alone. He did request a lot of bass sent to his monitor and that seemed to placate him. So we just ran with it. I found out later that this guy is usually the only one that complains (whether or not it's appropriate) and the rest of the guys in the band are happy to work out any issues that may arise with more understanding. For instance, the rider requested 25' cables for the guitars (apparently bringing their own cables is a major burden) but we only have 20' cables. That wasn't a major problem but it was discussed and agreed that the 20' cables would work. You'd think it'd only be big things that are a problem but it's usually the little things that drive some of these guys nuts.
You could have suggested they were too old to be moving around as much as 25' cables would allow! :lollers:

It's interesting that any band would expect you to have 25' cables - the 20' guitar lead has been standard forever. Surely if you wanted something non-standard/special, you'd pack your own. :confused:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Armistice wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:28 pm
Bill L wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:16 pm

You could have suggested they were too old to be moving around as much as 25' cables would allow! :lollers:

It's interesting that any band would expect you to have 25' cables - the 20' guitar lead has been standard forever. Surely if you wanted something non-standard/special, you'd pack your own. :confused:
Agreed on all points. 🍻 However, I've found it's best to smile and concern myself with something else. Because, at the end of the day, you can't reason with unreasonable people. As an aside, it's usually the least talented/important person that complains the most. Usually. 🤣🤣
rayc

Post by rayc »

I was hooked when Especially For You was released. I bought a couple of their albums and they sound great on vinyl. I can't imagine them without Pat - then again I couldn't imagine them without Pat's guitar either & they worked without that for quite a bit before he carked it.
If he heard the rattle & wasn't happy that's reasonable isn't it? The fact that you placated him with smoke n mirrors is part of the job I suppose.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:43 pm Making labels for the road cases.

Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I know a guy named Ward Smith .... sax guy from home ...... I believe he was in that horn section for The Last Waltz Tour
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:32 am

I know a guy named Ward Smith .... sax guy from home ...... I believe he was in that horn section for The Last Waltz Tour
Yes, Ward was there. They sounded great. My buddy multi tracked all of the shows, so I'm going to try to grab the stems from one of the shows just for laughs.