Reasonable laptop for minimal recording

General recording topics.
liv_rong

Reasonable laptop for minimal recording

Post by liv_rong »

I need a laptop specifically to record podcasts. No editing, no plugins, nothing else. I am thinking nowadays it likely doesn’t matter much, right?

I have been using my work laptop and then transferring files to my pc for editing etc. I am starting a new job and will not have a laptop anymore so need to get something for when I need to go places to record. Most of the episodes I record in my home studio.

Anyways, I have an SSL 2 right now, so only two channels. I may eventually get something with 4 inputs but that’s down the line if ever.

What do you think? Basically anything should do for my simple needs, right?
Armistice

Re: Reasonable laptop for minimal recording

Post by Armistice »

These days, yep. Especially if it's something simple like a podcast.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Just make sure it provides enough juice through USB, while on battery, for the SSL & a couple of cond. mics.
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

rayc wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 am Just make sure it provides enough juice through USB, while on battery, for the SSL & a couple of cond. mics.
Ah, yes, I didn’t even consider that! I was too focused on computing power of the things inside that do the things.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Have you considered a portable field recorder? There are lots of options out there today from the likes of Zoom, Tascam, Roland, Sony. I ended up with a Sound Devices Mix Pre, although that's definitely on the pricier side of the options. I used a Zoom H4n Pro for years, but it got kind of flaky on me and one of the buttons fell off eventually.

If you're just wanting to record and aren't editing on the device, a field recorder might be the way to go. Usually their battery life is pretty darned good but they can use AC power as well for longer sessions. Built-in preamps, ability for phantom power, 32-bit depth is pretty common these days for set-and-forget gain. Some of them even double as audio interfaces (a feature I never really had a use for).
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:57 pm Have you considered a portable field recorder? There are lots of options out there today from the likes of Zoom, Tascam, Roland, Sony. I ended up with a Sound Devices Mix Pre, although that's definitely on the pricier side of the options. I used a Zoom H4n Pro for years, but it got kind of flaky on me and one of the buttons fell off eventually.

If you're just wanting to record and aren't editing on the device, a field recorder might be the way to go. Usually their battery life is pretty darned good but they can use AC power as well for longer sessions. Built-in preamps, ability for phantom power, 32-bit depth is pretty common these days for set-and-forget gain. Some of them even double as audio interfaces (a feature I never really had a use for).
Yeah if it is for audio only, I would definitely recommend a field recorder type device.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. Anything will do.

I just use my laptop with a 2i2 and record straight I to Reaper for podcasts.

To be honest, unless you're using really fancy plugins I don't think you need a particularly fancy laptop for recording into reaper in general. I never track with plugings on though.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Make sure your field recorder has enough built-in storage capacity (and/or get an add-on SD card)
I've got a Tascam that's great for bootlegging gigs, but it can only store about an hour's worth of stereo wav.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I don’t think I’m into the field recorders. I looked at them when I first started and quickly realized a laptop was more flexible.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Not to beat the portable recorder thing into the ground, but...

I'm watching Curtis Judd's review of the Tascam Portacapture X8 and damn, it's pretty impressive. For a podcaster, videographer, or any on-location shooter/recorder, I've got to admit that it's a pretty attractive and fully-featured package for about the price of a mediocre laptop (maybe the price will drop in a few months...it's at the top end of "barely acceptable" price). I've never been that big on the modern Tascam brand, but this one looks pretty interesting:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... i-recorder

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I had to bite the bullet and get something. Between trying to schedule podcasts out of my studio and a looming presentation I need to complete that is related to my last job it forced my hand.

So I ended ip with another Dell.