Don't let the sun stop you crying

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Rob Aylestone

Don't let the sun stop you crying

Post by Rob Aylestone »

Most of what we do are band tracks for live stuff - very rarely up to date, marketable stuff. So think click tracks and live multitrack playback - that kind of thing. I just put the last track onto this 60s song - Gerry and the Pacemakers.

http://www.limelight.org.uk/crying.mp3

The only annoying thing is I didn't save the guitar sound on the Line 6, and I cannot for the life of me get exactly the same sound for another track!

We've spent months doing Carpenters tracks for a new tribute, and it's been scrapped as the 'Karen' is having a baby - and if they get a replacement, there will be hundreds of new BVs to re-record. Hours and hours of material sitting on the shelf.
rammer24

Re: Don't let the sun stop you crying

Post by rammer24 »

Very nice. Sounds great and quite authentic. I love this tune. The only thing are the drums. Very drum machine-y sounding ride cymbal and rim hits. Don't know what the solution is, but it's the only thing that stood out to me.

(You might want to get the title right, though...just sayin') :D
Rob Aylestone

Post by Rob Aylestone »

Oops - Every thing has that title - and I didn't notice it was wrong. Catch, not stop. Worse is I know that!

I totally get the drums - I kind of got used to the rim shots as a sort of effect, but can see how it's annoying. I can do everything apart from play the drums, and we have a real kit in the studio - but I can't play the damn things - mind you, maybe I could record just the ride? hmmmm. Thanks for that!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Rob Aylestone wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:30 pm Oops - Every thing has that title - and I didn't notice it was wrong. Catch, not stop. Worse is I know that!
I was sure you know the correct title. One of those mistakes anyone can make.:)
maybe I could record just the ride?
Considering it's just playing straight 8th notes, you probably could. That's a great idea. The rims are less crucial, I think. They sound like overdubbed percussion so, to me, not as important as the ride, which would be considered part of what the actual drummer would play.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I do that song ..... nice tune.
Nicely don't ..... I tend to have my tracks more basic but I'd gig with this track .... well mixed and micelt balanced for a live gig.

BTW, it's "don't let the sun catch you crying" ..... not that you can't sing it however you wish .... but it's 'catch'wever you wish .... but it's 'catch'
EDIT I see it's been pointed out plus Rob already knew it
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

hmmm ... double post
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't the original but this is clearly a really good recording. The drums do sound a little odd to me though, when the ride comes in the snare rim keeps going but so does the hi-hat. Rami or Greg will have a better idea than me about this though.
Rob Aylestone

Post by Rob Aylestone »

I'll put it on the list to do in any spare time we get!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

This sounds pretty good. I have to echo what others have said about the drum programming. When the ride comes in (which might suit a sound from closer to the bell, btw) it's just not right to have the hi-hat going as well. :coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yes, the drums make this sound like a Casio demo. Very canned, very fake, very robotic. The mix is actually fine. Everything is in balance and mixed well. The "performances"... pretty sterile and robotic.

But if you're just using this as a backing track for some low key live stuff, no problem. It'll work good.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Drums are an issue but the thing that stick in my ears is the warble/bubble start on each of the sustained guitar chords. It seems just a little bit faster than the original.
Your recording/mix compares favourably to the backing he used live on the oldies' circuit..
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhrOCmoWmaU[/BBvideo]
I remember the song as a hit, the movie, the works - I have the album etc etc.
I like the way your put it together - yeah, singing/playing over that in a club/pub/small venue would work a treat.
Cheers
rayc
Rob Aylestone

Post by Rob Aylestone »

We're into theatres mainly - and that track actually started work after doing a Gerry show when members of another band heard to for the first time and liked it, so we did it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool.
Cheers
rayc
Rob Aylestone

Post by Rob Aylestone »

Well - I tried my drum playing on it this afternoon, and it was truly dire. I never even got as far as balance and eq - just rubbish - and while the original can be used, its clear my drumming cannot!