Midi controller keyboard

Keyboards? Kazoos? Dulcimers? Alphorns? Aeolian harp? Here's the place to chat about your favourite instrument
Armistice

Midi controller keyboard

Post by Armistice »

Want to be able to actually play things on a keyboard using the soft synth I have on my recording PC. Up to now I've used Reaper's less than stellar midi editor.

I do have a full size electric piano which would work, but it's a huge heavy thing and needs to sit on a stand and just takes up space, so I'm thinking a 61 key MIDI controller keyboard could just sit out on the spare desk space I now have. I had another synth that I had used previously but middle C no longer worked so I left it in Sydney.

But I know nothing about the damn things. :confused:

This seems pretty cheap, and it's Korg. I presume they all sort of do the same thing. Anyone have any experience with these devices who can point me in a direction?

Should I get a reclicked one so I can pretend I've been playing keyboards for decades... :lollers:

https://www.storedj.com.au/korg-microke ... controller
Armistice

Re: Midi controller keyboard

Post by Armistice »

Actually noticed the one I linked to is USB powered, which is normally something I'd run a mile from, seeing it's my recording PC.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My keyboard is USB. Not USB powered but MIDI via USB, doesn't even have a the usual MIDI connector.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I think that most of the usual suspects are pretty neck-and-neck these days. I'm pretty easy to impress when it comes to keys, since I have no ingrained feel for how they should perform.

I've been using a Nektar Impact LX25+ for several years now, and I like it. The keys feel like a $100 device, I guess. Undeniably plastic, but responsive. And it hasn't fallen apart. The drum pad keys aren't all that great...they're stiff and not that responsive, but at least they can be set to different velocity curves. I just use the regular keys to tap in drums.

I'm not sure if all the brands are doing this now, but Nektar offer drivers for most major DAWs (Reaper included!) that allows it to function as a rudimentary control surface, with transport and fader controls. I actually use those controls more than I use the keys, since the record button on my Faderport went kaput.

I wouldn't sweat the USB bus power or MIDI over USB thing. Mine has been remarkably stable in both regards, even being plugged in and powered on for the vast majority of its lifetime so far.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:23 am My keyboard is USB. Not USB powered but MIDI via USB, doesn't even have a the usual MIDI connector.
Yeah, I think they're all MIDI-via-USB these days, which makes sense. I just don't like bus powered devices - possible for no rational reason! :lollers:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:28 pm I think that most of the usual suspects are pretty neck-and-neck these days. I'm pretty easy to impress when it comes to keys, since I have no ingrained feel for how they should perform.

I've been using a Nektar Impact LX25+ for several years now, and I like it. The keys feel like a $100 device, I guess. Undeniably plastic, but responsive. And it hasn't fallen apart. The drum pad keys aren't all that great...they're stiff and not that responsive, but at least they can be set to different velocity curves. I just use the regular keys to tap in drums.

I'm not sure if all the brands are doing this now, but Nektar offer drivers for most major DAWs (Reaper included!) that allows it to function as a rudimentary control surface, with transport and fader controls. I actually use those controls more than I use the keys, since the record button on my Faderport went kaput.

I wouldn't sweat the USB bus power or MIDI over USB thing. Mine has been remarkably stable in both regards, even being plugged in and powered on for the vast majority of its lifetime so far.
Thanks Tad - I'm looking at the Nektar Impact range now - conveniently there's one in stock in the GXP range at the local music store, apparently, so may head down during the week and pick it up. It does mention Reaper support on the blurb page. Could be handy. :like:
paulman

Post by paulman »

Armistice wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 pm
Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:28 pm I think that most of the usual suspects are pretty neck-and-neck these days. I'm pretty easy to impress when it comes to keys, since I have no ingrained feel for how they should perform.

Thanks Tad - I'm looking at the Nektar Impact range now - conveniently there's one in stock in the GXP range at the local music store, apparently, so may head down during the week and pick it up. It does mention Reaper support on the blurb page. Could be handy. :like:
I second this. My keyboard is a Nektar, and I will at some point get a better keyboard that feels more realistic and has better velocity detection. It actually fooled me into thinking my dynamics just suck when I play until I figured out what was going on. But if you're not a piano player doing piano things, then Nektar is just fine. You mentioned using it to play a synth, so it sounds like you should be good to go.