What difference with this string gauge change make?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

What difference with this string gauge change make?

Post by Armistice »

Perhaps one for @muttley

So my Duesenberg comes with a special string gauge - 10/13/17/28/42/50 - because, according to the blurb "This is our standard set which is factory fitted to all regular Duesenberg guitars. It is optimized for the scale length and resonance behaviour of our instruments and provides defined bass response through thicker E and A strings."

D'Addarios I use on every other electric are 10/13/17/26/36/46.

So you can see the difference is only in the wound strings. And it's a semi-acoustic guitar. And I assume Duesenberg don't do this for giggles. I'm happy to go with the recommendation if I can get the strings. The guitars are also factory Plekked, I believe.

Problem is the special gauge strings are now almost impossible to buy here - COVID, supply chains etc. - very few people stocked them in the first place and now they tend to be out of stock continually. Plus it's mail order only. Local store never has them. I guess I could try Amazon, but shipping strings from the US seems extreme.

So what do you think will happen if I change to "normal" 10s, re. set up, given the heavier gauges on the wound strings? What I don't want to do is pop a set on, readjust everything, then discover that the recommended strings are suddenly available again and then have to reverse everything I did - not that I would successfully be able to do that exactly anyway.

Or do you think I wouldn't really notice? I have only one set of the recommended strings left, can't get any more at the moment and the thing needs a change...

Thoughts?
JD01

Re: What difference with this string gauge change make?

Post by JD01 »

You can get hybrid string sets. I believe earnieball hybrid slinkies are right
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:26 pm You can get hybrid string sets. I believe earnieball hybrid slinkies are right
Yeah, I know - they're a bit the other way though... same problem although probably less. No-one does the exact same gauge. Annoying.

Tempted, seeing everyone's raving about NYXLs, to try their 10-52 set which is the same gauges as the EBs.

Discovered that the local shop (where I bought the guitar) will get the Duesenbergs in, but they're out of stock as with everyone else - their price is $30 a set vs. $17 in Melbourne where I got them from last. Not sure what shipping was last time but it wasn't $13 a set!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Just checked - it was $45 for 2 sets. Moot anyway, as they don't have them either.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Try the hybrid NYXLs. I use them on my telecaster. You might have to adjust the intonation a tiny bit... or you might just not bother.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Go with the ever so slightly lighter set of choice you will be fine. It is only when you swap to a gauge that has either a lot of extra tension or a lot less tension that the neck relief needs tweaking or the gauges are so much bigger that they bind in the nut slots that you will have issues. You may need to adjust intonation but with the change you are looking at I doubt it. Don't worry about the manufacturer blurb about tone... you either like the sound and feel a different set makes or you don't.