OMG ... a wah even Greg might lust for!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

OMG ... a wah even Greg might lust for!

Post by Lt. Bob »

Wifey said I have to have it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: OMG ... a wah even Greg might lust for!

Post by Greg_L »

Ha I do like it!

I have a wah already. 535Q. It's pretty fancy. I hardly ever use it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:52 am Ha I do like it!

I have a wah already. 535Q. It's pretty fancy. I hardly ever use it.
yeah ...... I don't know if I'll get it. I'd have to hear one in person because I have a very particular sound from a wah that I want.
I have 2 Crybabys but I don't like either of them

I have an EH Cockfight which has a 'vocal' setting that I do like and you can control it with an expression pedal.

But damn ...... don't Mardi Gras colors make everything better!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:59 am
yeah ...... I don't know if I'll get it. I'd have to hear one in person because I have a very particular sound from a wah that I want.
I have 2 Crybabys but I don't like either of them

I have an EH Cockfight which has a 'vocal' setting that I do like and you can control it with an expression pedal.

But damn ...... don't Mardi Gras colors make everything better!
I need to rebuild my 535Q. It's got crackles in it. I'm sure it's dusty and dirty inside. As far as wahs go I do like it. It sounded great to me. I just don't have any use for it hardly ever. I might record it once a year and I've never taken it out to use live.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I'm definitely getting one. Leo is a bad ass and that pedal looks awesome! The Meters are the best.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That is for sure the best looking wah of all time.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I should put my Snarling Dog back on my B pedal board.
I never use wah, but decorative pedals are cool, right?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah ..... performing music is also about looks.

On this one wifey said not if it was just going on my pedalboard where it would be unseen.

But a wah is something I would carry separately so she said as long as it could be seen in all it's glory! lol
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

What's the significance of the color purple? If any. Shows up a lot in all things New Orleans / Louisiana?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:27 pm What's the significance of the color purple? If any. Shows up a lot in all things New Orleans / Louisiana?
Purple, gold, and green are Mardi Gras colors.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:27 pm What's the significance of the color purple? If any. Shows up a lot in all things New Orleans / Louisiana?
Mardi Gras colors are purple/green/gold and have been as long as I've been around.
A quick google says:
"The traditional colors of Mardi Gras are purple, green, and gold. These are said to have been chosen in 1892, when the Rex Parade theme "Symbolism of Colors" gave the colors their meanings.

Purple Represents Justice. Green Represents Faith. Gold Represents Power."
I did not know that ....... :coolstorybro:

King cakes are decorated with those colors and it's absolutely ingrained in La. as the Mardi Gras culture is kinda a basic La. culture year round and not just in New Orleans

Last edited by Lt. Bob on Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:35 pm
Mardi Gras colors are purple/green/gold and have been as long as I've been around.
A quick google says:
"The traditional colors of Mardi Gras are purple, green, and gold. These are said to have been chosen in 1892, when the Rex Parade theme "Symbolism of Colors" gave the colors their meanings.

King cakes are decorated with those colors and it's absolutely ingrained in La. culture
Did you know....

Tulane University's primary color is green because LSU already hogged up all the purple and gold fabrics and textiles when they were choosing school colors?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:38 pm
A quick google says:

King cakes are decorated with those colors and it's absolutely ingrained in La. culture
Did you know....

Tulane University's primary color is green because LSU already hogged up all the purple and gold fabrics and textiles when they were choosing school colors?
I did not ....... lol ..... good for us!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:39 pm
I did not ....... lol ..... good for us!
That's the story anyway. :coolstorybro:

I keep those colors everywhere. Walk around my man room or the rest of my house and you will find purple, gold, and green beads, fabrics, or fleur-de-lis always somewhere in sight.

This silk Mardi Gras scarf belonged to my grandma. It hangs off a bass trap now. The beads are just some of the thousands I have around here.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Forgive my ignorance but don't you have to motorboat some poor girl to get a a strand of beads or something?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

A quick google says:

I did not know that ....... :coolstorybro:

King cakes are decorated with those colors and it's absolutely ingrained in La. as the Mardi Gras culture is kinda a basic La. culture year round and not just in New Orleans

Cheers to this. History fascinates me. I could have done the googling i just figured I'd ask our resident NOLA's. thanks though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:51 pm Forgive my ignorance but don't you have to motorboat some poor girl to get a a strand of beads or something?
Lol no it's usually the other way around. Girls show their tits for beads.

That's really just dumb touristy stuff though. During Mardi Gras season they have different parades throughout the city and part of those parades are themed floats and people on the floats throw beads, trinkets, doubloons, etc to the crowd.

You can drive through New Orleans at any time of the year and find beads hanging in trees along the streets. As the floats go by the float riders toss beads everywhere and some of them get stuck in trees where they stay forever.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Speaking of things hanging in trees, about 7m up in the bamboo out the back I noticed a bit of red fabric when I moved in. Could never work out what it was - blowing up a phone pic didn't work and I didn't care enough to get my real camera onto it.

Had major winds a few weeks back and everything up there shifted and some writing on a tag became visible.

It says "Red onions"😀. It's a fucking plastic knitted bag that you buy a kg of onions in. How the fuck did that get 7m up a piece of bamboo?🤔

Thought I could just bend the stalk down and remove it but it's too intertwined with other stalks. May have to cut it down.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:56 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:51 pm Forgive my ignorance but don't you have to motorboat some poor girl to get a a strand of beads or something?
Lol no it's usually the other way around. Girls show their tits for beads.

That's really just dumb touristy stuff though. During Mardi Gras season they have different parades throughout the city and part of those parades are themed floats and people on the floats throw beads, trinkets, doubloons, etc to the crowd.

You can drive through New Orleans at any time of the year and find beads hanging in trees along the streets. As the floats go by the float riders toss beads everywhere and some of them get stuck in trees where they stay forever.
for many years wifey and I went for Thursday thru Fat Tuesday. Stayed at the Hilton on Canal.
We even had access to a balcony on Bourbon for Fat Tuesday and that's impossible to get.

All the parades, as greg said, throw enormous amounts of beads.
I lol when places like here have Mardi Gras parades. The riders are carefully pulling out one string at a time to throw .... .... and that's all the cheap little dinky beads that in New Orleans you just let fall to the ground ..... in N.O. they'll just throw 30 of those at a time at a time .... most of the riders buy a thousand or even two thousand dollars worth of beads to throw.

We had a friend that was in Bacchus so we'd go to the Bacchus ball and that's where you can catch some good stuff cause you can only go there if a Bacchus Krewe member invites you.
At the end of the parade the entire parade, floats, marching bands, cops on motorcycles ... all of it comes inside the convention center where everyone is in evening dress and they have barricades between the tables just on like the street.
The parade goes around the center and that's when they throw the very best beads because they all know someone in the crowd.

You have men in tuxes and women in spectacular evening gowns diving to the floor trying to get them ... just like on the street but inside and dressed to the nines .... it's actually pretty surreal ......... the entire parade parks and stays there around the perimeter .... floats still have their lights on and they're there till the next morning .... people usually eat breakfast and start heading home around 5 or 6 am
Last one I remember the bands were the Pointer Sisters and Ray Charles and they didn't even get started till maybe midnight.

I have a couple of duffel-bags of some serious beads ...... even some super rare glass ones.

Greg'll be the only one that'll get what a big deal this is but I have three strings of large, like marble sized, pearls with small gold beads in between each pearl that are 5 freakin' feet long!!
Those'll get you tits shown even over here!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:09 pm
for many years wifey and I went for Thursday thru Fat Tuesday. Stayed at the Hilton on Canal.
We even had access to a balcony on Bourbon for Fat Tuesday and that's impossible to get.

All the parades, as greg said, throw enormous amounts of beads.
I lol when places like here have Mardi Gras parades. The riders are carefully pulling out one string at a time to throw .... .... and that's all the cheap little dinky beads that in New Orleans you just let fall to the ground ..... in N.O. they'll just throw 30 of those at a time at a time .... most of the riders buy a thousand or even two thousand dollars worth of beads to throw.

We had a friend that was in Bacchus so we'd go to the Bacchus ball and that's where you can catch some good stuff cause you can only go there if a Bacchus Krewe member invites you.
At the end of the parade the entire parade, floats, marching bands, cops on motorcycles ... all of it comes inside the convention center where everyone is in evening dress and they have barricades between the tables just on like the street.
The parade goes around the center and that's when they throw the very best beads because they all know someone in the crowd.

You have men in tuxes and women in spectacular evening gowns diving to the floor trying to get them ... just like on the street but inside and dressed to the nines .... it's actually pretty surreal ......... the entire parade parks and stays there around the perimeter .... floats still have their lights on and they're there till the next morning .... people usually eat breakfast and start heading home around 5 or 6 am
Last one I remember the bands were the Pointer Sisters and Ray Charles and they didn't even get started till maybe midnight.

I have a couple of duffel-bags of some serious beads ...... even some super rare glass ones.

Greg'll be the only one that'll get what a big deal this is but I have three strings of large, like marble sized, pearls with small gold beads in between each pearl that are 5 freakin' feet long!!
Those'll get you tits shown even over here!
There was a few years when I was a kid that my family actually rode the floats on Mardi Gras day. One of my dad's friends ran a float and we got to ride along for a couple years. I think it was the Endymion Krewe if I recall. We were magicians one year....I think ski bums one year...and I think hillbillies one year. Different themes. Anyway, yeah it's the same. We'd ride through the city and just throw tons of beads and stuff. I saw more titties in one day when I was 11 years old than I have in all the years since.

I didn't realize it then, but now I can clearly see the racism....we'd have bamboo spears and tomahawks to throw as well as beads and doubloons. These spears and tomahawks were all decorated with feathers and had little rubber spearheads and blades on them. Obviously not real weapons, but that's what they were. Spears and tomahawks. The parade route had us going through the Garden District and French Quarter and down St Charles Ave and uptown and all the fancy nice parts of New Orleans, then at the end of the route we'd meander through the black parts of town. We'd save the spears and tomahawks for the black people. Now don't get me wrong, they were the best Mardi Gras prizes. As a kid I'd happily trade a million beads for one spear. Those spears and tomahawks were the absolute cat's ass. But we'd save them for the black people, and those people would go absolutely full crazy bananas for a spear flying through the air. I remember going through Gentilly or maybe it was New Orleans East and I'd hold up a spear in each hand and they'd start climbing the float to get them. It was total pandemonium. Throw a tomahawk way high into the air and they'd climb on top of each other to get it. It was crazy. None of it was mean or violent. It was just crazy. Looking back I can see how maybe racially and culturally insensitive all that is, but at the time, as a kid, I thought it was fucking awesome. I didn't see it as taunting or anything. Those black people loved Mardi Gras and they loved those trinkets and I was thrilled to be part of it.
Rebel Yell