OMG ... a wah even Greg might lust for!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
vomitHatSteve

Re: OMG ... a wah even Greg might lust for!

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:43 pm Those spears and tomahawks were the absolute cat's ass. But we'd save them for the black people, and those people would go absolutely full crazy bananas for a spear flying through the air.
Lol! Yeah, throwing spears to Black people was definitely - as the kids these days say - problematic!

It does sound like a ton of fun to be on one of those floats tho.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:35 am

Lol! Yeah, throwing spears to Black people was definitely - as the kids these days say - problematic!

They really wanted those spears though. I don't know how to process it even all these years later. Yeah the implied, and unintentional, racism is obvious to me now. But they liked it. They wanted it. Throwing a spear out to a white neighborhood was pretty anticlimactic compared to throwing one out to a black neighborhood. The white communities would scramble for the beads. The black communities wanted the spears and tomahawks. My childish innocent mind thought of it like it was just basic demographics. These people tend to prefer these things, and these people like these things. Give the people what they want. I'm not gonna throw all my spears out to white people. They don't care. I'm saving them for the black people who really want them. That's pretty much how I thought about it. I didn't make the racist connections at 12 years old. Surely the adults had to know though. :confused:

I think about it pretty much every Mardi Gras season. I haven't participated in a modern Mardi Gras in a while, it's just too much now. It's become such an event that I just can't bother. When I was a kid it seemed a lot more like it was just for us in New Orleans. It wasn't the mega event that it has become.

I can't imagine that "saving things for black people" is still a thing though.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:06 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:35 am

They really wanted those spears though. I don't know how to process it even all these years later. Yeah the implied, and unintentional, racism is obvious to me now. But they liked it. They wanted it. Throwing a spear out to a white neighborhood was pretty anticlimactic compared to throwing one out to a black neighborhood. The white communities would scramble for the beads. The black communities wanted the spears and tomahawks. My childish innocent mind thought of it like it was just basic demographics. These people tend to prefer these things, and these people like these things. Give the people what they want. I'm not gonna throw all my spears out to white people. They don't care. I'm saving them for the black people who really want them. That's pretty much how I thought about it. I didn't make the racist connections at 12 years old. Surely the adults had to know though. :confused:

I think about it pretty much every Mardi Gras season. I haven't participated in a modern Mardi Gras in a while, it's just too much now. It's become such an event that I just can't bother. When I was a kid it seemed a lot more like it was just for us in New Orleans. It wasn't the mega event that it has become.

I can't imagine that "saving things for black people" is still a thing though.
Definitely sounds like one of them things where context and intent matter. Nowadays you'd have to be fucking brain dead to not see and/or care about the racist connotations.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:08 pm
Definitely sounds like one of them things where context and intent matter. Nowadays you'd have to be fucking brain dead to not see and/or care about the racist connotations.
Yeah totally. And New Orleans is a lot more gentrified now since Hurricane Katrina. I'd be very surprised if the major parade routes even got as far as the black communities now. Those communities probably have their own parades or they find a way to get to the major routes.

I'll say this though...@Lt. Bob knows it but most probably don't. Mardi Gras day is great and all, but it's the smaller parades in the days and weeks leading up to Mardi Gras that are really the best. The smaller community parades with high school bands and stuff, those were so good. You still got the floats and the beads and the trinkets but on a smaller scale. I loved those parades. Those are the ones I really miss.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I would really like to visit the South but there's just so many places I want to go and so few years left!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:22 pm
I'll say this though...@Lt. Bob knows it but most probably don't. Mardi Gras day is great and all, but it's the smaller parades in the days and weeks leading up to Mardi Gras that are really the best. The smaller community parades with high school bands and stuff, those were so good. You still got the floats and the beads and the trinkets but on a smaller scale. I loved those parades. Those are the ones I really miss.
and the truck parades!! Those are awesome!
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Well, looky what came in the mail today! This thing sounds great.
PXL_20220223_201358333.jpg
PXL_20220223_202222157.jpg
:illdrinktothat: :yeabuddy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha awesome!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bill L wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:07 pm Well, looky what came in the mail today! This thing sounds great.

Bill you are the man!! haha. thats cool you picked that up.

That No Moon is a beast. I have been having some fun with mine in the brief moments occur when i can tinker.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bill L wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:07 pm Well, looky what came in the mail today! This thing sounds great.

That No Moon is a beast. I have been having some fun with mine in the brief moments occur when i can tinker.
:happytrees:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:56 pm

I just got back into a band in which I need a pedal board. At the moment there's a lot of drive/distortion pedals but they'll start falling off soon. The No Moon has pretty much what I'll need for this band with the tube screamer and the EP Booster. The Han Taun will probably move in soon. Considering that I really don't like using a lot of pedals I have a lot of pedals :spacepalm: :lollers2:

I'll see if I can wrangle up some audio from a practice. But I will say, I love those Idiot Box pedals. Absolutely fantastic.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

is it a very vocal sounding wah?
I'd get one if it sounds vocal.

My go-to desired wah sound is Hendrix on "Rainy Day, Slight Return' that opening where the wah sounds like it's talking ..... are you familiar with that and if so, does it sound like that?

i'll immediately order one if it's anywhere near that
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:04 am

is it a very vocal sounding wah?
I'd get one if it sounds vocal.

My go-to desired wah sound is Hendrix on "Rainy Day, Slight Return' that opening where the wah sounds like it's talking ..... are you familiar with that and if so, does it sound like that?

i'll immediately order one if it's anywhere near that
I love Hendrix and know the tune very well. I'll check it out when I get home and if I can throw a quick sample together, I'll do it. To me, it's less brittle, cutting than a Vox and not as flubby as some of the standard Dunlop wahs. This almost sounds like an auto wah at times, but I've only spent about 15 mins noodling around with it. I'm planning on bringing my pedal board to my gig tomorrow night (I never bring a pedal board to this kind of gig) but I want to hear what it will sound like in context. On it's own, I loved it. And it just looks awesome.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Quick and dirty. The wah, Tube Screamer (no gain, just pushing level into), No Moon (using the effect on the right, the Rat I think?), a TC Flashback into a Boss Katana at 50 Watt, below bedroom levels for volume with a 58 clone hanging off the handle of the amp. I only increased the overall volume. I do think it's a very vocal sounding wah. So here's a bit of familiar bits and then me trying to show the sweep of it. I'm using a Tele, all pots dimed and the bridge pickup. It's quick and dirty because I'm off to record some sax parts for a friend of mine and then off to a gig, my first actually bringing a pedal board in many years.

:lollers2: I can actually hear me playing acoustically because the volume was so low :lollers2: But I think you can get an idea of the tonality of the pedal. :sherlock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:01 pm Quick and dirty. The wah, Tube Screamer (no gain, just pushing level into), No Moon (using the effect on the right, the Rat I think?), a TC Flashback into a Boss Katana at 50 Watt, below bedroom levels for volume with a 58 clone hanging off the handle of the amp. I only increased the overall volume. I do think it's a very vocal sounding wah. So here's a bit of familiar bits and then me trying to show the sweep of it. I'm using a Tele, all pots dimed and the bridge pickup. It's quick and dirty because I'm off to record some sax parts for a friend of mine and then off to a gig, my first actually bringing a pedal board in many years.

:lollers2: I can actually hear me playing acoustically because the volume was so low :lollers2: But I think you can get an idea of the tonality of the pedal. :sherlock:
oh man ..... thank you!
That really is the sound ...... I'ma gettin' one!
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:04 pm
Bill L wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:01 pm Quick and dirty. The wah, Tube Screamer (no gain, just pushing level into), No Moon (using the effect on the right, the Rat I think?), a TC Flashback into a Boss Katana at 50 Watt, below bedroom levels for volume with a 58 clone hanging off the handle of the amp. I only increased the overall volume. I do think it's a very vocal sounding wah. So here's a bit of familiar bits and then me trying to show the sweep of it. I'm using a Tele, all pots dimed and the bridge pickup. It's quick and dirty because I'm off to record some sax parts for a friend of mine and then off to a gig, my first actually bringing a pedal board in many years.

oh man ..... thank you!
That really is the sound ...... I'ma gettin' one!
I figured it would be up your alley. This is the wah I've been looking for. I have a Morely, 2 Dunlop's and I sold another Dunlop to Miner. This is totally the sound I've been trying for for years. And it looks badass! Now I just need a gerg Deluxe like yours and I'll be in tone heaven.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Jeez louise that really is a vocal wah. Very impressive. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:09 pm Now I just need a gerg Deluxe like yours and I'll be in tone heaven.
Dude ..... you really do.
it's a freakin' awesome amp ...... you plug in and it sounds great no matter where the knobs are ..... I've had a stupid amount of amps and this is one of the very best of the best.
I like the 18 watt he did for me too but the Deluxe is right up your alley .;... gotta be in purple though.
i understand the other colors aren't as nice.

:lollers2:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:45 pm
Bill L wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:09 pm Now I just need a gerg Deluxe like yours and I'll be in tone heaven.
Dude ..... you really do.
it's a freakin' awesome amp ...... you plug in and it sounds great no matter where the knobs are ..... I've had a stupid amount of amps and this is one of the very best of the best.
I like the 18 watt he did for me too but the Deluxe is right up your alley .;... gotta be in purple though.
i understand the other colors aren't as nice.

:lollers2:
A Gerg Deluxe in New Orleans colors would absolutely be an Amp that gets played all the time. I'm an immigrants son born in New England; yet when I was New Orleans I felt like I finally found home. And a purple amp is fuckin' cool! :yeabuddy:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

you saw the pic s of mine right?