tried Elixir nano web strings

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

tried Elixir nano web strings

Post by Lt. Bob »

just for the hell of it I tried a set.

Didn't really like them that much ..... they were even a bit abrasive to my fingers.

However, they've been on my gigging guitar since last April ..... maybe 120 gigs and all of them outside in the salt air ..... still in tune at the octave and show no corrosion.
Pretty amazing actually.

NYXLs are wonderful and by a large margin the best strings ever!

However for my outside gigs, changing strings once a year is pretty cool
JD01

Re: tried Elixir nano web strings

Post by JD01 »

I use NYXLs these days, across my guitars I get to play for about 1 1/2 hours a day and they last for fucking ages.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:37 pm I use NYXLs these days, across my guitars I get to play for about 1 1/2 hours a day and they last for fucking ages.
yeah, they're freakin' amazing strings ...... I've been using them since before they were even released cause somehow I got to beta-test 'em.
They sound and feel better than anything else I've ever tried and I think everyone owes it to themselves to try a set.
But outside they don't last anything like these Elixirs ....... good for maybe around 30 gigs before they start to lose intonation or I break one.

All my gigs are 4 hours and I do a minimum of 2 a week and starting around May it goes to 4 and 5 a week thru Labor day and I'm right on the water.

But NYXLs are king strings IMO!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:06 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:37 pm I use NYXLs these days, across my guitars I get to play for about 1 1/2 hours a day and they last for fucking ages.
yeah, they're freakin' amazing strings ...... I've been using them since before they were even released cause somehow I got to beta-test 'em.

High praise from someone that plays as much as you.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:23 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:06 pm yeah, they're freakin' amazing strings ...... I've been using them since before they were even released cause somehow I got to beta-test 'em.

High praise from someone that plays as much as you.
I love 'em ...... to me they even 'feel' different tension-wise than other strings and sound fuller.

But they are pricy ..... so I'll buy 'em half a dozen at a time for only some of my gits ... the Stinnett, the Hallmark, the Zak Wilde paul all get NYXLs ..... everything else gets Slinky's or D'Adarrio depending on which are cheaper by the dozen.

But the NYXLs settle down quicker even ..... 10 minutes and they're thru stretching ..... great strings.
And they do last longer than normal strings
Greg uses 'em ..... I think I may have told him about them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 am
I do and you did and I got a bunch of others using them too.

I was skeptical that a guitar string could make any kind of significant difference. I was wrong. NYXLs fucking rule.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:44 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 am
I do and you did and I got a bunch of others using them too.

I was skeptical that a guitar string could make any kind of significant difference. I was wrong. NYXLs fucking rule.
And it was your thread that got me using them, and I love them. I play a lot of gigs before they need changing. And I also got a few of my friends using them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:54 pm

And it was your thread that got me using them, and I love them. I play a lot of gigs before they need changing. And I also got a few of my friends using them.
:lollers2: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Yeah it's funny...if Boob hadn't told me about them I probably would have never even considered them. For one, I'm not a D'Addario guy. I like EBs. Secondly the cost would have had me poo-poo'ing them without even trying them. The cost of NYXLs is stupid, but as you say, they last so long and maintain their goodness for so long, it's worth it.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

These guys?
https://www.daddario.com/products/guita ... itar/nyxl/

The ones that are like $13 a set?

Oh, right. Y'all aren't bassists. You aren't used to paying $20 for a set of strings and then not changing them for years! :D
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:58 pm
Bill L wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:54 pm

:lollers2: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Yeah it's funny...if Boob hadn't told me about them I probably would have never even considered them. For one, I'm not a D'Addario guy. I like EBs. Secondly the cost would have had me poo-poo'ing them without even trying them. The cost of NYXLs is stupid, but as you say, they last so long and maintain their goodness for so long, it's worth it.
that's exactly how I felt and the only reason I even tried them was the beta test ..... for some unknown reason I got a set in the mail with a request to try them and report what I felt about them to d'Addario ..... I have absolutely no idea why.

But they were free so I tried them and was amazed.
and they continue to make me happy, every single set.

Since then I also tried a set of the Ernie Ball Cobalts and they were terrible.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:22 am These guys?

That be them.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:22 am
that's exactly how I felt and the only reason I even tried them was the beta test ..... for some unknown reason I got a set in the mail with a request to try them and report what I felt about them to d'Addario ..... I have absolutely no idea why.

I think the "Paradigm" line is Ernie Ball's equivalent to the NYXLs. I'm not 100% sure though. A friend of mine that's tried both says they are similar.

What I like best about NYXLs is how hard they feel. There's something about the steel that just feels harder. And they're not quite as slinky feeling as similar gauge regular strings. None of that is a bad thing to me. I'm not a shredder. I don't want everything to be soft and weak and effortless. I like to fight my guitar a little bit.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:31 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:22 am

I think the "Paradigm" line is Ernie Ball's equivalent to the NYXLs. I'm not 100% sure though. A friend of mine that's tried both says they are similar.

What I like best about NYXLs is how hard they feel. There's something about the steel that just feels harder. And they're not quite as slinky feeling as similar gauge regular strings. None of that is a bad thing to me. I'm not a shredder. I don't want everything to be soft and weak and effortless. I like to fight my guitar a little bit.
That's one of the main things I like about them also but from the opposite end.

I'm a big bender ..... it's a major part of my style .... even on rhythm I 'shake' the strings or double-stops.

I find that extra resistance gives me more precise control over things.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am an NYXL convert as well. I have alos managed ot convert a few folks over to them with success.

Oh, right. Y'all aren't bassists. You aren't used to paying $20 for a set of strings and then not changing them for years! :D
I have NYXL's on my pbass. It's like having a new set of strings on my bass every time i pick it up. they are seriously that good and i can 100% justify the cost of them. They are also a bit tighter too. they feel a bit bigger than the gauges they say they are but they have nice tight response and yea, still sound just a plonky as the day I put them on.

@Lt. Bob I tried the elixir nano web's on one of my acoustics a bunch of years ago becasue i hate having those E and B strings getting rusty. They worked really good in that regard. I never had an issue with crummy corrosion but i did find that, as you said, they were kind of abrasive. I didn't love them for that reason.

I'm a princess and prefer a gentler texture.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:39 pm
@Lt. Bob I tried the elixir nano web's on one of my acoustics a bunch of years ago .... i did find that, as you said, they were kind of abrasive. I didn't love them for that reason.
I know right?
They actually made my fingers a little sore the first few gigs.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

What do you all think (apart from that it's our mate Beato saying it) about the theory that lighter strings are better (at least for recording)...

I'm a 10s guy on electric and always have been, have dabbled with 11s, but find 9s a bit "light"...

But these guys are talking 8s... :eep: And saying that, historically, that's the way it used to be. Now I'm aware Beato and his mates have to keep finding shit to talk about, but it's an interesting concept.

I note also they're using a standard LP via Marshall distorted sound - so what works for that sound, presumably in a standard rock band mix, whether you believe them or not, doesn't necessarily translate to other types of guitar sound...
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well, historically they didn't even have 9s in the early days ....... I don't remember them being available until late in the 60's.
Even the lightest Gibson or Black Diamonds strings were fairly stout.
Some guys would use a banjo string for the 'E' and shift the rest over a string because light gauge guitar sets didn't exist

Secondly he's just another guy trying to say THIS is the way you have to do it ..... he would be wrong.

People say you can't get a strong sound out of light strings and they're wrong .... Billy Gibbons uses like a 7 or something stupid like that
An
But plenty of people get great sounds outta every possible gauge and string style and even, shudder, flatwounds.

I use 10's on 25.5" scale and 11's on 24.75" scale.

Last edited by Lt. Bob on Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think I went with 10s as that's what came on guitars from the factory - didn't know any better at the time. Sort of got used to them... played around from time to time, but always end up back with 10s - although I find them a little puny on short scale lengths - but I only have one of those guitars and not worth the trouble of remembering to buy a different gauge, given what I actually do these days.

I got his point about the sound, but also it's "a" sound in a particular type of music, and if you're caring in that detail, you're probably caring about recorded rather than live, where other considerations may come into play. But who wants to be playing different gauges for different purposes if they don't have to? Nice if you have a zillion guitars and a tech, or lots of time, but most people don't.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:39 pm I am an NYXL convert as well. I have alos managed ot convert a few folks over to them with success.

I have NYXL's on my pbass. It's like having a new set of strings on my bass every time i pick it up. they are seriously that good and i can 100% justify the cost of them. They are also a bit tighter too. they feel a bit bigger than the gauges they say they are but they have nice tight response and yea, still sound just a plonky as the day I put them on.

@Lt. Bob I tried the elixir nano web's on one of my acoustics a bunch of years ago becasue i hate having those E and B strings getting rusty. They worked really good in that regard. I never had an issue with crummy corrosion but i did find that, as you said, they were kind of abrasive. I didn't love them for that reason.

I'm a princess and prefer a gentler texture.
Oh! This is more what I'm expecting strings to cost.

I use 12s on my guitar. I like heavy strings.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:58 pm What do you all think (apart from that it's our mate Beato saying it) about the theory that lighter strings are better (at least for recording)...
Total horseshit.

The best string gauge is the one you like and can play the best.
Rebel Yell