Strap Locks

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Strap Locks

Post by Greg_L »

For any of you maybe wanting some, check these...

They're Schaller knock-offs, and they fit existing Schaller strap buttons. I have a pile of them here and they're good quality. You can get this whole 12-pack for less than one actual Schaller set. :lollers2:

Viva le China!

Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Strap Locks

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I like that it comes with a wrench for home daily uses!!!
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

I've been fitting OEM Schaller compatible strap buttons and locks for a while now just like those and yes, they are way cheaper. The metal finishing on the gold ones seems to last longer too. Win/win. I have yet to see an OEM bridge that matches Schaller quality but there are also plenty of tuners that are as good if not better.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:59 pm For any of you maybe wanting some, check these...

They're Schaller knock-offs, and they fit existing Schaller strap buttons. I have a pile of them here and they're good quality. You can get this whole 12-pack for less than one actual Schaller set. :lollers2:

Viva le China!

cool ...... I actually have none on any of my gits and I should so maybe 2 packs of 'em and then all my straps would fit all my gits.

One question ..... in an emergency would you be able to get by using a regular strap?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've never used them - I think the Tele came with them installed but I took them off - or something like that.

Have no real need while I'm not gigging but when I was I never had a guitar fall off a strap. Possibly I don't jump around enough. :lollers:

I actually don't even really understand how they work.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:36 pm

One question ..... in an emergency would you be able to get by using a regular strap?
Not really without fudging the strap button. Half of the lock permanently fits to the strap and the part on the guitar has zero lip to hold a strap. I used to worry about that too but I just keep a spare set of lock buttons in my parts bag along with strings and picks, tuner etc.
muttley

Post by muttley »

This is all you'd have to hold the strap on and trust me aint enough.. Don't ask me how I know... :redface:
lock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:36 pm

cool ...... I actually have none on any of my gits and I should so maybe 2 packs of 'em and then all my straps would fit all my gits.

Yeah regular strap holes will fit over the lock nubs.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I use $$$$ Schallers on pretty much everything. I wish I'd found these sooner. They're an exact match.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Anyone else use the cheap, plastic ones that are basically a washer?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:38 pm Anyone else use the cheap, plastic ones that are basically a washer?
I keep two Grolsch beer rubber washers in my junk bag.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:38 pm Anyone else use the cheap, plastic ones that are basically a washer?
I have some of these ..... they'll work on any guitar .... work fairly well and you can just carry some around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233530128950?e ... Sw3NlecHug

but not nearly as easy as having straplocks on all your straps and guitars ..... just snap on and its secure
so at 20 bucks for 12 i think its a no brainer
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've got a few sets of straplocks, and they're all that same kind of design. My problem with them is that over time, the U-shaped holder rotates and if I don't notice it, it turns into an upside-down U-shaped holder that readily lets go of the strap button on the guitar...and thereby makes it a guitar-dropper instead of a strap-lock.

I keep meaning to shop around for a different design to try out. I probably spend a below-average amount of time playing, and yet I have to adjust the U-shaped thing every time I play because it's started to twist on the strap.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 pm I've got a few sets of straplocks, and they're all that same kind of design. My problem with them is that over time, the U-shaped holder rotates and if I don't notice it, it turns into an upside-down U-shaped holder that readily lets go of the strap button on the guitar...and thereby makes it a guitar-dropper instead of a strap-lock.

I keep meaning to shop around for a different design to try out. I probably spend a below-average amount of time playing, and yet I have to adjust the U-shaped thing every time I play because it's started to twist on the strap.
You need to crank them bitches down!

That's pretty weird though. I've had the same set on one of my straps going on ten years now. They haven't budged. I don't even know if they'll come off at this point.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:56 pm You need to crank them bitches down!

That's pretty weird though. I've had the same set on one of my straps going on ten years now. They haven't budged. I don't even know if they'll come off at this point.
The worst offenders are the ones on my Les Paul. It seems that no matter how tight I crank down that nut, it moves in just a matter of minutes of playing. The ones on my Tele take months to move significantly, but they do move. Maybe the weight of the LP is a factor? I don't know, but it's irritating. I've caught my LP mid-fall a few times because that damned straplock had turned totally upside down and the little spring-loaded pin wasn't quite strong enough to hold it all in place.

The strap on my LP is a Levi's that's got some padding inside the leather. Maybe the padding doesn't compress fully when I crank the nut down, then compresses more as I play? Or it stretches and deforms as I play, or as it heats up with body heat? Whatever the cause, it's been a point of frustration for long enough that I'm ashamed of myself for not having found a solution yet. I've had those damned straplocks for 10 or 15 years now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 pm

The worst offenders are the ones on my Les Paul. It seems that no matter how tight I crank down that nut, it moves in just a matter of minutes of playing. The ones on my Tele take months to move significantly, but they do move. Maybe the weight of the LP is a factor? I don't know, but it's irritating. I've caught my LP mid-fall a few times because that damned straplock had turned totally upside down and the little spring-loaded pin wasn't quite strong enough to hold it all in place.

The strap on my LP is a Levi's that's got some padding inside the leather. Maybe the padding doesn't compress fully when I crank the nut down, then compresses more as I play? Or it stretches and deforms as I play, or as it heats up with body heat? Whatever the cause, it's been a point of frustration for long enough that I'm ashamed of myself for not having found a solution yet. I've had those damned straplocks for 10 or 15 years now.
That is pretty crazy. You'd think the cushiness of the strap would act like a compression washer and allow them to stay tight as hell forever. Really weird. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I wonder if maybe the threads are stripped or something.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:40 pm
I keep two Grolsch beer rubber washers in my junk bag.
I remember buying a couple of Grolsch's for that exact reason. They weren't bad. I'll have to check if I still have the rubbery bits.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have one of these...
lock strap

...it's useless - relies on gravity so the guitar if lifted, lifts out.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I had schaller strap locks on my Crimson, they worked great and never rotated, they're sort of designed to stay at one orientation with a little groove in them. Problem is 'cos it was such an expensive guitar I decided to go for this really nice expensive leather strap - it was about 60 quid - but it was so thick that when it was on the strap button I couldn't get the strap lock on it!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:56 pm You need to crank them bitches down!

I got your back buddy.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-222 ... e_p1210575
:happytrees: