Strap Locks

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Re: Strap Locks

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 pm
Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 pm

The worst offenders are the ones on my Les Paul. It seems that no matter how tight I crank down that nut, it moves in just a matter of minutes of playing. The ones on my Tele take months to move significantly, but they do move. Maybe the weight of the LP is a factor? I don't know, but it's irritating. I've caught my LP mid-fall a few times because that damned straplock had turned totally upside down and the little spring-loaded pin wasn't quite strong enough to hold it all in place.

The strap on my LP is a Levi's that's got some padding inside the leather. Maybe the padding doesn't compress fully when I crank the nut down, then compresses more as I play? Or it stretches and deforms as I play, or as it heats up with body heat? Whatever the cause, it's been a point of frustration for long enough that I'm ashamed of myself for not having found a solution yet. I've had those damned straplocks for 10 or 15 years now.
I got your back buddy.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-222 ... e_p1210575
orrrr ..... you could just smear a little Elmer's on the threads or clear finger-nail polish ..... clear and not visible.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 pm

I got your back buddy.

orrrr ..... you could just smear a little Elmer's on the threads or clear finger-nail polish ..... clear and not visible.
yes or that.

Just anything really that is easily broken with a bit of force should you need to ever remove it but also provide a bit of "stay there-edness" I used red loctice when I was playing live and I thrashed around a lot. Never had any issues save for the actual knob on the body itself working it's way out. :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:13 pm

The worst offenders are the ones on my Les Paul. It seems that no matter how tight I crank down that nut, it moves in just a matter of minutes of playing. The ones on my Tele take months to move significantly, but they do move. Maybe the weight of the LP is a factor? I don't know, but it's irritating. I've caught my LP mid-fall a few times because that damned straplock had turned totally upside down and the little spring-loaded pin wasn't quite strong enough to hold it all in place.

The strap on my LP is a Levi's that's got some padding inside the leather. Maybe the padding doesn't compress fully when I crank the nut down, then compresses more as I play? Or it stretches and deforms as I play, or as it heats up with body heat? Whatever the cause, it's been a point of frustration for long enough that I'm ashamed of myself for not having found a solution yet. I've had those damned straplocks for 10 or 15 years now.
I got your back buddy.

How is Bunnings coming up in your searches? Enquiring minds need to know...
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I have these on all of my guitars and straps. And I love them. As far as them rotating; that certainly happens. I usually just tighten them up when I notice it. If it were a big problem, I'd use either pipe dope (plumbers putty or whatever you might call it), lock-tite or even plumbers tape (Teflon tape for threaded pipe connections). I'll probably buy a pack or 2 because I really do love these things.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:18 pm

I got your back buddy.

How is Bunnings coming up in your searches? Enquiring minds need to know...
Because i am astute enough to search for something you have access to semi locally and not in far off Narnia or Amazon. We wouldn't want @rayc to have coronary linking to amazon, when i can just as easily direct you to Bunnings. :coolstorybro: :happytrees:
:happytrees: