It Seems I Don't Care for Most Pedals

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Re: It Seems I Don't Care for Most Pedals

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:43 pm
I never knew that Ross was made in Chanute! I grew up not too far from there, and I remember seeing Ross pedals on my friends' floors and in the local music shop. I didn't realize they were a relatively local company. That flanger is kind of legendary, isn't it? For some reason that's the effect that I most associate with Ross.
the ones most desired were made in Chanute ..... later on they were made elsewhere and maybe even overseas.
The Ross flanger is a desired one ..... I think it's the flanger on the beginning of 'Barracuda'.
The grey Ross compressor is the starting point for a lot of comp pedals ... even now some of them refer to their designs as based on the grey Ross so it must have been good.

For me a compressor HAS to have a blend knob so you can blend in some uncompressed git so the attack is normal.
I hate the squished attack but want the sustain.
I HATE that MXR Dyna-Comp sound because with no blend control the attack is ruined.

If you have a blend knob you guitar's attack sounds totally normal but then it just sustains.
I really like my Xotic SP comp and whatever the hell that thing that was I built ... both have the blend knob.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:26 am

Well first off, you saying you hate pedals is an exaggeration.
That's true. As I said above, I hate distortion/fuzz pedals. That's where all my pedal hate is directed. I need to specify that more often.

Chorus too.

I'm ok with the rest of them.

I'm also not trying to talk anyone out of using them. I couldn't care less who likes or uses which pedals.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I quite like Chorus. It's an effect that often gets abused though!

I don't tend to keep pedals once they're off my board, I tend to sell thing off a lot.

I have a few drive pedals which I like, but I also totally understand Greg's frustration with them. Main reason is cos I have one amp, one cab and a limited choice of mics. So I use my Klone and OCD quite with quite subtle settings, mainly as boosts, to add different flavours across the different guitars in a mix.

I also often put a TubeScreamer on leads, mainly cos of its EQ. Makes lead lines nice and clear in a mix without having them up loud or adding loads of EQ in the mix.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:36 am
Tadpui wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:43 pm
I never knew that Ross was made in Chanute! I grew up not too far from there, and I remember seeing Ross pedals on my friends' floors and in the local music shop. I didn't realize they were a relatively local company. That flanger is kind of legendary, isn't it? For some reason that's the effect that I most associate with Ross.
the ones most desired were made in Chanute ..... later on they were made elsewhere and maybe even overseas.
The Ross flanger is a desired one ..... I think it's the flanger on the beginning of 'Barracuda'.
Ross-2.jpg
The original pedals were made in Chanute. Then they moved production to Taiwan. The Taiwan pedals do sound a bit different ,but they are still really good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Nice ..... I have the red Flanger and that purple dist/phaser ....... I haven't fooled with that one in a while, I need to pull it out and remind myself what it does.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:42 am . As I said above, I hate distortion/fuzz pedals. That's where all my pedal hate is directed. I need to specify that more often.
Chorus too.

I'm ok with the rest of them.

My dislike of pedals really only applies to distortion/fuzz. They pretty much all suck ass IMO. I fully reject modern pedal society and the disgusting idea of an amp being a "pedal platform". Ugh. Amps deserve better than that. Boosts that push an amp are great. Pedals that are the amp...no thanks.

Some pedals are a must though. FX pedals. You can't really swing your speakers around a room, so stuff like chorus and flangers need to exist. Tremolo and vibrato are wonderful. Delays and reverbs do what they do. I'm good with all that.
absolutely .... look , I see your previous comment that I quoted earlier has disappeared.

So I'ma takin' a second to address this.

I missed the part about your hate is for dirt pedals but you'll see that in my musings I said I thought your hate was for dirt pedals so I actually already felt like that was the case.
And I knew that you weren't trying to tell anyone not to use them.

This is one of the things about text that I hate ..... disagreeing about anything often comes across as an argument or people being offended and that's a problem with music and music gear because everyone has different needs or desires and me liking or not liking something has nothing to do with the person I'm agreeing or disagreeing with.

I like to state my thoughts on something even if no one agrees with me and that can come across as aggressive or angry or like it's a big deal.

It's not ...... there's literally no one on the face of the Earth I respect more than teh gerg.
Also I don't think there's a better guy out there either ..... a charitable, giving and even though he'd avoid this descriptor, a loving guy that spends considerable time and effort into giving lives to nubbie dogs.

And yet the magic of text would make that brief interaction seem like we're about to go at it and that's not even close to the truth.
He's one of the few musicians anywhere that can sway me from doing something a certain way and, instead, doing it a way he suggests.
And trust me, that's a very high compliment .... not that getting a compliment from me is anyone's goal but nevertheless it's a very rare thing for me to say that.

Now the fact is a lot of music I love would land in his hate-bucket and I know that some of the little bit I've posted was a bit of a wtf? to him.
And just tighten your belt cause there's gonna be more soon and I'ma making you listen!

But there's no argument going on here and I love all you guys ...... this is about the only board worth visiting and I really enjoy it.

So having said that, fuck you and your non-pedal stance!

I'm gonna gift you some pedals and since I'm your elder you'll use them and like it young man!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol I do hear a lot of people use pedals, particularly fuzz, and I'm like "that sounds pretty good I like what they did with that". And then I try it myself and I'm like "this is fucking shit I have no use for this fuzzy buzzy noisy garbage". :lollers2:

And then you look at distortion/overdrive pedals and they're all pretty much the same two or three designs just rehashed over and over. How many Klon clones or Tube Screamers do there have to be? And just so I'm not solely picking on pedals, amps aren't really any different. There are historically only three guitar amp brands that really matter - Fender, Marshall, and Vox. That's it. They set the standards for amp tones. Almost everything else that people regularly use is pretty much just some version of one of those three.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:41 pm Lol I do hear a lot of people use pedals, particularly fuzz, and I'm like "that sounds pretty good I like what they did with that". And then I try it myself and I'm like "this is fucking shit I have no use for this fuzzy buzzy noisy garbage". :lollers2:

And then you look at distortion/overdrive pedals and they're all pretty much the same two or three designs just rehashed over and over. How many Klon clones or Tube Screamers do there have to be? And just so I'm not solely picking on pedals, amps aren't really any different. There are historically only three guitar amp brands that really matter - Fender, Marshall, and Vox. That's it. They set the standards for amp tones. Almost everything else that people regularly use is pretty much just some version of one of those three.
Yeah, I can't seem to do shit with a fuzz and yes, I hear people use them for great sounds but they just do not work for me.

To me, every dirt box has its own sound .... I find that amazing since, as you say, there's really only a few basic circuits.
But all of them sound different to me ..... I have a bunch and the differences are enough that some I like, others dislike and a few are stellar.
I mean, not that I sit around and obsess over it ..... a few make it on my board and tend to stay there. The others sit on my shelves 'o' crap waiting to be paid attention to.

Same thing with amps.
The early Marshalls were basically a Bassman circuit ..... but they sound nothing like a Bassman.
It's also amazing how different amps based on the same circuit can sound and we have a direct reason to know one of the reasons.
Your Deluxe and my Deluxe are the same kit with the same circuit ..... we just changed a few things in mine ..... but it was enough to make it sound different ...... I trust your ears and you said they sounded different enough that at some point you might make the same changes to yours.
You might not but there was enough of a difference from those small changes to make them sound noticeably different to you.

A great music friend, now long passed, used to say, "It's another electronic mystery!" :punk:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:04 pm
Your Deluxe and my Deluxe are the same kit with the same circuit ..... we just changed a few things in mine ..... but it was enough to make it sound different ...... I trust your ears and you said they sounded different enough that at some point you might make the same changes to yours.
You might not but there was enough of a difference from those small changes to make them sound noticeably different to you.

A great music friend, now long passed, used to say, "It's another electronic mystery!" :punk:
That's true, our amps sounded a little different. Yours was a little smoother in the top end, mine was a little punchier. They still sounded like the same amps though. They weren't drastically different. I liked the changes enough that I still am gonna do that to mine.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees: