W10 dedicated DAW computer Reaper CRASHES/freezes often.

General recording topics.
rayc

W10 dedicated DAW computer Reaper CRASHES/freezes often.

Post by rayc »

hello Folks,
I need some brains trust stuff..

*I'm running a three year old PC
*W10 and
*it only does Reaper work.
*I have an SSL2,
*running their download of ASIO drivers,
*BIG buffer when only mixing,
*not many VSTs - mainly Reaper natives
*though I regularly use two bridged 32 bit ones (PSP Vinatge Warmer 2 & Melodyne).

I often find that Reaper fails to load a project
I have to reload
OR in the middle of things Reaper freezes and I have to reboot the computer to move on.

I've done all the obvious Optimizations for audio - a conglomerate of reccos from three different sites.

These are the comps specs.
Capture.png
Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Re: W10 dedicated DAW computer Reaper CRASHES/freezes often.

Post by Armistice »

Random thought, but have you upgraded Reaper lately? Is the problem a recent occurrence or has this system previously worked OK? Has Win 10 upgraded itself somewhere?

Any chance of trying an earlier/rolled back version of Reaper? Or restoring an earlier version of the entire 'puter.

Just guessing though. Sounds like one for Mr Tad. Good luck.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:18 am Random thought, but have you upgraded Reaper lately? Is the problem a recent occurrence or has this system previously worked OK? Has Win 10 upgraded itself somewhere?
That's a good first question.

How consistently can you recreate the crash?

What shows up if you have the performance tab of task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) open when the crashes occur?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

That motherboard has chipset drivers as recent as November of this year, the APU driver is from October of this year, and the latest BIOS is from this month.

I think it would be worth starting with those updates, but I understand if you're hesitant. The BIOS update looks like it will require more than one update, depending upon how old your current version is. We can look at the revisions more closely and talk through the process if you'd like to proceed with that. Or you might take it to a local shop and see if they can get it up to date for you, that way the liability is on them in the unlikely event that the board gets bricked.

A lot of the time, a BIOS update is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinds of things. But since you're actively having issues, I think it'd be a good place to start. Plus is looks like a few severe vulnerabilities on that board were patched up in the last year or so, so it'd probably be a good idea to update anyways.

You can peruse the available updates on Gigabyte's straight-out-of-the-1990s website here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA ... rt-dl-bios
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

That website has nothing on Kunaki... :lollers:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:08 pm That website has nothing on Kunaki... :lollers:
I'm just amazed at the overall low quality of the websites and software utilities from the big motherboard and graphics card companies like Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, EVGA, etc. They make some of the most complex and sophisticated pieces of hardware that humans have ever conceived of, but they can't seem to make a website or a desktop application that looks like an adult designed it. It's just astounding how low quality their software is, across all of those brands!

I had a look at the Kunaki website and yeah, that's pretty spartan for something that's still active in 2021/2022. I wonder if they're hosted by Angelfire or Geocities? :D
rayc

Post by rayc »

Thanks folks,
I'm taking a slow, soft approach - particularly as most related businesses aren't open at present.
I've found fewer problems when avoiding using both the 32 bit PSP Vintage Warmer 2 and Melodyne in the same project.
It does require actually removing the VST from tracks to get a good result...using Melodyne is usually a short term, (establishing a melody I can practice to basically OR creating a harmony here n there), thing then I freeze the track n delete the original after which I can reinstate VM2 etc etc etc.
Cheers
rayc