Front of Kick mic Greg?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
rayc

Front of Kick mic Greg?

Post by rayc »

I watched this last year but had a squiz again today and wondered if you'd done the waist height, three feet away pointed slightly down thing...
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: Front of Kick mic Greg?

Post by Greg_L »

I have but I don't do it often. I don't usually get into a bunch of extra room and ambient mics for drum recording.

But when I do it, I usually do it something similar to what that guy describes.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Thanks @Greg_L ,
I was wondering, as I opften do, whether something "worthy" of a UTUB vid actually has a real world application.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Does Dan have enormous hands, or are those just abnormally small microphones? Inquiring minds want to know :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:30 pm Thanks @Greg_L ,
I was wondering, as I opften do, whether something "worthy" of a UTUB vid actually has a real world application.
I think it's valid stuff for most other people. I admit I am in the minority when it comes to my not liking room mics and extra shit for drum recording. Simple overheads and spot mics are all I want the majority of the time.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Not a drummer mic'r myself so I have no real thoughts on it.

However, back when I did a studio thing with a friend in BR in the 70's and 80's and we had an 8 track Otari reel to reel so we had limited channels.
He used to get a really great drum sound with 3 mics ..... a mic for the kick and then a pair of those PZM boundary mics .... but instead of setting them on the floor, he put them up on stands maybe3 or 4 feet high and spaced out about 4 or 5 feet apart with the plates turned towards the drums.
Once he had them dialed in it essentially recorded exactly what it sounded like in the room.

Not sure if it has anything to do with this vid but I haven't seen much about using a stereo pair with a kick mic but it's simple and I know it can sound good.