Playing music over Zoom/Teams

General recording topics.
JD01

Playing music over Zoom/Teams

Post by JD01 »

Does anyone know how you'd get what you're doing to Reaper to audible over Zoom or MS Teams?
A few months ago I was showing @Alison some basic drum programming and it would have been helpful to have Audio instead of just telling her what to do. Also, a client of mine wants me to show him some stuff. Its weird, now I'm working from home, clients can see that I'm sitting next to a piano and have a guitar on the wall behind me so they're asking for recording lessons!
Lt. Bob

Re: Playing music over Zoom/Teams

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:29 am Does anyone know how you'd get what you're doing to Reaper to audible over Zoom or MS Teams?
A few months ago I was showing @Alison some basic drum programming and it would have been helpful to have Audio instead of just telling her what to do. Also, a client of mine wants me to show him some stuff. Its weird, now I'm working from home, clients can see that I'm sitting next to a piano and have a guitar on the wall behind me so they're asking for recording lessons!
would you just patch your audio interface to the input of the puter?

Or is it the same puter and you're wanting to know how to route it internally?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:29 am Does anyone know how you'd get what you're doing to Reaper to audible over Zoom or MS Teams?
would you just patch your audio interface to the input of the puter?

Or is it the same puter and you're wanting to know how to route it internally?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:03 pm Or is it the same puter and you're wanting to know how to route it internally?
Yeah - this.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

It looks like Teams makes it just the press of a button in the desktop app:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 061a0d8e3b

In Zoom, you have to dig through the options and select a few things:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... reen-share

In both cases, I'd bet that they're using the Windows sound system and not ASIO. So you'll need something to route the output of the DAW into the Windows sound system. I've used Voxengo Recorder on the master bus of my DAW to do this, but the latency is pretty bad. You could try Voicemeeter and see if you can do all of the routing there, like this guy outlines: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556006

Or, you might try setting up a loopback input on your interface and see if Zoom/Teams picks up the audio through that way.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Might easier if you used OBS Studio(open source broadcasting software) for streaming. When you use this software, Zoom sees the output from OBS as your camera feed.

I used it for online teaching so I could show videos and images to my students.

Using DAW sound is a bit trickier, I have never really tried it but here is a link describing how to use ReaPlugs to achieve this.

https://ejlabs.net/daw-audio-output-into-obs-studio/
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:38 pm Might easier if you used OBS Studio(open source broadcasting software) for streaming. When you use this software, Zoom sees the output from OBS as your camera feed.

I used it for online teaching so I could show videos and images to my students.

Using DAW sound is a bit trickier, I have never really tried it but here is a link describing how to use ReaPlugs to achieve this.

https://ejlabs.net/daw-audio-output-into-obs-studio/
Obs is a good choice. It routes quite customizable audio and video settings
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This stuff sounds a bit tricky for me. I'll try what Tad says first but if that doesn't work I'm probably done!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

@JD01 this is built right into Reaper?!

I didnt watch the video, ive no idea if this is what you are after, no idea if it is still supported and no idea if it even works but i know it was once a thing people used before the mainstream availability of stuff like zoom, teams, skype, hangouts etc to jam over the interwebs using reaper.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers mate, I'll check that out.