You're A Disease

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Re: You're A Disease

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:14 am
Cheers, there's no compression on the mix I'll try it. I've never compressed a whole mix before other than using Event Horizon as a limiter. What's the easiest way of doing this? Sticking the entire thing in a folder and sticking the compressor on the folder?
Strap it across the stereo buss before your limiter(use a stereo comp, obviously!) Start with a low ratio, like 1.5:1 and middling attack and release. A/B it to make sure there's no volume change. If it's quieter then use the makeup gain (or equivalent control)to bring it up again.
Stereo buss: What is this?
Before limiter: How do I put something before my limiter?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 am
Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am

Strap it across the stereo buss before your limiter(use a stereo comp, obviously!) Start with a low ratio, like 1.5:1 and middling attack and release. A/B it to make sure there's no volume change. If it's quieter then use the makeup gain (or equivalent control)to bring it up again.
You are familiar with the Mixer screen on Reaper? Well the stereo buss is the same as the master buss. Where the master fader and the meters are? Stacked above it are the lists of plugins, sends and receives that you've applied to that channel. The top list is the plugins, and that's where you would put your limiter when Mixing Down, yes? Well the top plugin in the list is where your mix hits first, then so on down the list. The last plugin should be your mastering limiter.

If you don't already know this, the order in which you put your plugins on this list and on your individual tracks can have a dramatic effect on the ensuing sound. Almost as much of an effect as the plugins themselves.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 am
You are familiar with the Mixer screen on Reaper? Well the stereo buss is the same as the master buss. Where the master fader and the meters are? Stacked above it are the lists of plugins, sends and receives that you've applied to that channel. The top list is the plugins, and that's where you would put your limiter when Mixing Down, yes? Well the top plugin in the list is where your mix hits first, then so on down the list. The last plugin should be your mastering limiter.

If you don't already know this, the order in which you put your plugins on this list and on your individual tracks can have a dramatic effect on the ensuing sound. Almost as much of an effect as the plugins themselves.
Cool - I didn't know that master buss and stereo buss were the same thing. I don't have lists of plugsins sends and recieves, I think I might have it set up slightly different to you. But if I click on FX my list of plugins appears. I had no idea that the order affected them. I'll have to give this some thought - I don't generally use many plugins except on vocals, where I might have an EQ, compressor and maybe even a delay.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 am
Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 am

Cool - I didn't know that master buss and stereo buss were the same thing. I don't have lists of plugsins sends and recieves, I think I might have it set up slightly different to you. But if I click on FX my list of plugins appears. I had no idea that the order affected them. I'll have to give this some thought - I don't generally use many plugins except on vocals, where I might have an EQ, compressor and maybe even a delay.
On the master buss it actually only has the plugins list and a list of outputs to hardware (if you're using an external mixer etc). The channels have plugins/sends/receives lists.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

So your mixer screen doesn't look like this?
mix screen.jpg
As you can see, I have the Vladislav Goncharov Limiter No.6 ( :robus: ) on my master buss and you can see the lists of my plugins on my individual tracks. :smug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

No, nothing like that.. in fact I don't have a mixer screen at all. I just have the faders at the bottom of my tracking screen and I click the FX button to fiddle with effects
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:23 am No, nothing like that.. in fact I don't have a mixer screen at all. I just have the faders at the bottom of my tracking screen and I click the FX button to fiddle with effects
Well, if you want it like that, you click and drag the top of your fader window until it becomes big enough to see all that shite. :biggrin: You can select mixer screen under the "view" tab, but I suspect you have already enabled it, but shrunk it down so you can see both at once. I could do with two screens, but for now I switch between tracking and mixing screens depending on what job I'm doing.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:29 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:23 am No, nothing like that.. in fact I don't have a mixer screen at all. I just have the faders at the bottom of my tracking screen and I click the FX button to fiddle with effects
Well, if you want it like that, you click and drag the top of your fader window until it becomes big enough to see all that shite. :biggrin: You can select mixer screen under the "view" tab, but I suspect you have already enabled it, but shrunk it down so you can see both at once. I could do with two screens, but for now I switch between tracking and mixing screens depending on what job I'm doing.
Cheers, didn't know that. Will try it later
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, I brought all of the guitars down a touch to bring the drums out more and added a bit of compression to the master buss.

The difference is pretty small now, but it definitely sounds a tiny bit better than Mix 2.

Time to park this for a few days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 am I don't have lists of plugsins sends and recieves, I think I might have it set up slightly different to you.
It's just a set up thing. It depends how small you make your faders. I don't see my list of plugs either, but I can if I resize my fader length.

I agree with most of the comments here. In general, every song I've heard from you the guitars sound good but are too loud, the vocals can come up, and the drums can also come up and be more in your face. Next time you mix, stop thinking like a guitar player, think like a drummer and see how that turns out.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 pm think like a drummer and see how that turns out.
The whole world would be a better place if everyone thought like a drummer.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Some true shit.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

By the way, JD, did you notice that I'd split the stereo overhead track into two separate channels? I did that so I could narrow the stereo image of the kit a little. It really sounds unnatural with cymbals crashing directly into your ear'oles.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

This mix sounds much better but the vocals are still a bit too low. Just raise the level of the main vocal track, and keep the doubled track where it is.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 pm By the way, JD, did you notice that I'd split the stereo overhead track into two separate channels? I did that so I could narrow the stereo image of the kit a little. It really sounds unnatural with cymbals crashing directly into your ear'oles.
I had no idea, how did you do that?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:38 pm This mix sounds much better but the vocals are still a bit too low. Just raise the level of the main vocal track, and keep the doubled track where it is.
Cool, I'll give that a go in the morning
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:29 pm
Bubba wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:07 pm By the way, JD, did you notice that I'd split the stereo overhead track into two separate channels? I did that so I could narrow the stereo image of the kit a little. It really sounds unnatural with cymbals crashing directly into your ear'oles.
I had no idea, how did you do that?
It's under Item/Item processing/ Explode multichannel audio or MIDI items to new one-channel items.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

This sounds pretty good. Mix 2 and 3 sound a lot more full and lush than 1, but that might just be different volume levels between soundcloud and vlc.

I like how you edited the first post to remove your receptionist, and the next 6 posts all mention 'em! :D

I'm noticing that some of the vocals get buried in crashes.

The solo that starts at 2:54, I'd migrate closer to the center. Then pan it left when the counter-melody comes in. I'm generally of the opinion that the "lead" instrument should never be audible soley on one side.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:21 pm This sounds pretty good. Mix 2 and 3 sound a lot more full and lush than 1, but that might just be different volume levels between soundcloud and vlc.

I like how you edited the first post to remove your receptionist, and the next 6 posts all mention 'em! :D

I'm noticing that some of the vocals get buried in crashes.

The solo that starts at 2:54, I'd migrate closer to the center. Then pan it left when the counter-melody comes in. I'm generally of the opinion that the "lead" instrument should never be audible soley on one side.
Cheers, steve. I know what you mean about that centre bit - something about auto panning like that just feels "wrong" to me, like its something Pink Floyd would do... saying that I quite like Pink Floyd.

Was thinking of changing that middle bit anyway - don't like it that much. Was gonna double the baseline using octave chords with a phaser one side and a wah wah on the other.