ethernet switchers

General recording topics.
Lt. Bob

ethernet switchers

Post by Lt. Bob »

Spectrum ( hate 'em ) is sending me a new modem "to enhance my service" ... that's fine.

But the new router only has one ethernet port and this time has a separate wi-fi unit which requires that port.

Now wifey uses wi-fi exclusively and my new super computer will be wi-fi as it's at the other end of the house.
But I prefer my office desktop to be ethernet ....... slightly more secure and that's where I do all my banking and financial/taxes/dark web stuff lol

So is it as simple as an ethernet switcher?
Or does that wi-fi need to go directly to the router?

And if it is as simple as a switcher .... do I need a managed or an unmanaged switcher?
It's just for my desktop ..... wifeys iMac and soon, my supercomputer.
So I won't need to be partitioning accounts or stuff like that ..... just access to the net
Farview

Re: ethernet switchers

Post by Farview »

All you need is an unmanaged ethernet switch. Get a gigabit one, so you don't have to worry about the switch being a bottleneck.

If they are making you rent the wifi router, just buy one. They tend to have at least a 4 port switch built in. (I'm actually surprised the wifi unit they gave you doesn't have any ports).

You can have a switch between the modem and wifi unit. It won't cause an issue.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I have a gigabit switch from WD that I'm not using. I can send that along with the computer when the time comes. I'll have to go find it though...I haven't used it for a few years now. It's in a box somewhere in the basement.

Our current house isn't very ethernet-friendly (a guy quoted me over $3K to wire up the house), so I'm just using wifi for everything, so I don't need the switch any more, and you're certainly welcome to it!
Farview

Post by Farview »

They are cheap. You can get an 8 port gigabit switch on Amazon for $18. I think the 4 ports are $15.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Farview wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 pm They are cheap. You can get an 8 port gigabit switch on Amazon for $18. I think the 4 ports are $15.
Yeah, I think this WD cost me $25 or something. I actually bought another one, I can't remember exactly why. So come to think of it, I should have two of these things hiding in boxes in the basement :)
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

I use one of these TP-Link unmanaged switches, never had any issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1 ... 07HP5TN4S/

I once tried to 'upgrade' to a more expensive LinkSys one, which somehow only gave me half the speed.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:49 pm I have a gigabit switch from WD that I'm not using. I can send that along with the computer when the time comes.
thanks .... but no need to look for it ...... I need one now basically and they're cheap .... satan will deliver one to me by tomorrow

jonny deep wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:41 am I use one of these TP-Link unmanaged switches, never had any issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1 ... 07HP5TN4S/

I once tried to 'upgrade' to a more expensive LinkSys one, which somehow only gave me half the speed.
hmmm ..... this morning I ordered a TP-Link TL-SG105 .... tried to put a link but it kept just taking me to the Amazon home page

same model number as yours except your has a 'S' at the end ...... differences?
Or not really?
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:30 am hmmm ..... this morning I ordered a TP-Link TL-SG105 .... tried to put a link but it kept just taking me to the Amazon home page

Or not really?
According to this, it's just a colour difference:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/159115
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

jonny deep wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:16 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:30 am hmmm ..... this morning I ordered a TP-Link TL-SG105 .... tried to put a link but it kept just taking me to the Amazon home page

Or not really?
According to this, it's just a colour difference:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/159115
cool ..... thanks!

The only time color matters to me is if it can come in purple ..... then I want the purple ..... I like purple