Lights on for 2022 (Also 5th year anniversary!!)

We keep the lights on.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Lights on for 2022 (Also 5th year anniversary!!)

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Rebels!! !

Happy 5 years coming up just around the corner. If you are interested and able to donate to keeping the lights on this year please donate using the link in this post.

I usually try to provide a screenshot of what the cost will be for the upcoming year, but I am just getting back to real life after a week away and I am trying to pin down someone at our hosting service about bumping up our package a tier as we are quickly running our of room on our allocated spot on the servers. There are considerable savings on right now and i may be able to purchase three years for the price of one. However it is unclear if that is a thing i can do when bumping up our aloocated server space. I am going to work this out today and get back to you.

As it stands right now our renewal fees look like this (values are in USD)

More to follow.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Re: Lights on for 2022 (Also 5th year anniversary!!)

Post by Lt. Bob »

done .... money sent.

Great picture .... captures the Canadian resiliency and yet, is that a bit of vulnerability I see?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Update.

Just got off the phone with our hosting services. All their packages offer the same amount of server space so we are stuck with what we are stuck with the next option is our own dedicated server with 120GB of storage. That comes at a hefty price tag of over +1000USD. By my calculations we should be good for storage space for the next year as we seem to average about 2800MB a year which is more than safe for this upcoming year. 2023 on the other hand we will be teetering for sure.

All that said, our host said they aren't overly concerned if we come close to our "max" or police it until other sites on the same server start placing complaints of performance issues. I can live with that so long as our performance remains tip top. The 20K MB max is more of a guideline and indicator of when to start doing some housekeeping.

This time next year we may have to have a group discussion on how best to proceed. Should we do some pruning of old listening booth posts to only the last final good mix? Should we look at switching hosts? Should we look at that dedicated server package? Or for the same price of 1KUSD a year should we look into hosting on our own physical server? the latter option makes the most sense but would turn my life into a living hel if i am being honest. I sort of like paying our host to babysit the site. We have minimal issues and when things do go sideways they have it sorted in under 2 hours max. Speaking only for myself it would be cool to keep on with a hosting service despite the high cost. Obviously we can shop around.

regardless, we are good for our 5th year anniversary and we can revisit all this next November!!!!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:34 pm done .... money sent.

Great picture .... captures the Canadian resiliency and yet, is that a bit of vulnerability I see?
Me? Vulnerable? NEVER!!!! (but also probably :lollers2: )

Cheers Steve!!

I just photo shopped my face onto Bernie Sanders infamous meme. I am fairly certain that if Minerman were here to objectively pick apart my photoshop skills i would get a high five for creatively making use of Bernies existing ears in behind my head to look like my own.

it's the small details. :happytrees: :happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:36 pm Update.

Just got off the phone with our hosting services. All their packages offer the same amount of server space so we are stuck with what we are stuck with the next option is our own dedicated server with 120GB of storage. That comes at a hefty price tag of over +1000USD. By my calculations we should be good for storage space for the next year as we seem to average about 2800MB a year which is more than safe for this upcoming year. 2023 on the other hand we will be teetering for sure.

All that said, our host said they aren't overly concerned if we come close to our "max" or police it until other sites on the same server start placing complaints of performance issues. I can live with that so long as our performance remains tip top. The 20K MB max is more of a guideline and indicator of when to start doing some housekeeping.

This time next year we may have to have a group discussion on how best to proceed. Should we do some pruning of old listening booth posts to only the last final good mix? Should we look at switching hosts? Should we look at that dedicated server package? Or for the same price of 1KUSD a year should we look into hosting on our own physical server? the latter option makes the most sense but would turn my life into a living hel if i am being honest. I sort of like paying our host to babysit the site. We have minimal issues and when things do go sideways they have it sorted in under 2 hours max. Speaking only for myself it would be cool to keep on with a hosting service despite the high cost. Obviously we can shop around.

regardless, we are good for our 5th year anniversary and we can revisit all this next November!!!!
Ban adjectives. :crazy:

Also, I can probably nip over and turn ray's power off on a regular basis to slow him down a bit.

That should do it. :lollers:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You're not getting another cent until you CLEAN YOUR ROOM! :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ok well one vote for not making your life a living hell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Def. prune to the final mix after the thread becomes inactive.
Mind you inactivity will be hard to determine as it does get quiet around here at times.
Dosh sent.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, prune everything except the front 3 pages of listening booth. Don't worry about final mixes. The only people who likely care will be the owner who'll have a copy anyway. If I come across a particularly good one that I'm interested in I just download it. Once or twice I've lost one and then gone back to the owner to ask them for a copy.

Nuking PMs after 3 months or so too - they often include MP3s.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Pruning is def the way to go, maybe also remove the youtube video from quotes.
Apart from the recording tips, the daily dose of humour is well worth the few bucks a year, Best forum on the internet :guitarhero: :punk: :jam: :metal:
Cheers
Chris
my music
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

My mom is up here for the week. So I have to figure out expenses, but I’ll send a little something. When is the deadline to submit this?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:42 am My mom is up here for the week. So I have to figure out expenses, but I’ll send a little something. When is the deadline to submit this?
If you come back and we're not here any more, you're too late. :lollers:

I think what actually happens is that WJ pays the bills himself so we don't disappear and then we all chip in afterwards to reimburse him... so whenever you can spare a shekel or two will be fine, I'm sure.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:42 am My mom is up here for the week. So I have to figure out expenses, but I’ll send a little something. When is the deadline to submit this?
There is no deadline, January 4th is our B-Day. This is 100% charity on your own time when and if you have the resources to be charitable. Don't sweat it if you can't participate at this current time. :like:
CeeBee wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:04 am Pruning is def the way to go, maybe also remove the youtube video from quotes.
Apart from the recording tips, the daily dose of humour is well worth the few bucks a year, Best forum on the internet :guitarhero: :punk: :jam: :metal:
this is what we like to hear. :like: :like:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I wonder if you could incorporate S3 or something? Amazon's storage is incredibly cheap. (Like 2 cents a GB per month cheap)

If we could get all the file storage offloaded there, your costs could be drastically lower.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

actually the bills to this point seem pretty small 5 or 10 per member easily covers it.

At a grand then it's more of an issue.
Unless I remember wrong, Alison paid the entire amount last year when she misunderstood a comment about the cost of the site
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:02 pm actually the bills to this point seem pretty small 5 or 10 per member easily covers it.

At a grand then it's more of an issue.
Unless I remember wrong, Alison paid the entire amount last year when she misunderstood a comment about the cost of the site
LOL!! I refunded her back all but that what was needed. She thought she had to backpay too. Very generous of her but entirely unnecessary haha.

Lt.Bob is right we aren't into astronomical range. yet. and if we were I'd have to consider something else. I like that the option to get our own dedicated space we share withy no one thru the host is there, but the price tag sucks. They offered to give it us for a greatly reduced price for the first year but it was still 680USD. And even at that, that is too much.

I could check out amazon i suppose. I wonder if it is something I could redirect certain types of files for uploads to for storage. I feel like anything is possible. I should see if it is possible through phpbb. good advice @vomitHatSteve :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I tossed you a handful of sheckles, WJ.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

hey ..... let's make it an American style contest ...... he who gives the most money gets complete access to the admins.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:36 pm I tossed you a handful of sheckles, WJ.
Cheers JD.

thank you notes will be going out later this week.

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:40 pm hey ..... let's make it an American style contest ...... he who gives the most money gets complete access to the admins.
I am half considering doing something a little extra for donators. Access to something neat on the site or something. I am currently brain storming. In this age of patreon and crowdfunding perks etc etc. that kind of stuff i feel like that is something worth considering.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I will say this is about the only forum that doesn't suck so I'd chip in whatever so it could continue.