DUMB BASS QUESTION

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

DUMB BASS QUESTION

Post by rayc »

Yes, indeed.

I've watched A LOT of bass player YouTube videos this year...partly to fill in my day in isolation and partly to see/hear what bass players have/do/sound like.

I've noticed quite a lot of bassists ON YOUTUBE bend their strings almost as a matter of course...not just to alter a note but they seem to be heavy handed and pull down the string constantly when fretting and/or striking/plucking/picking.

Is this a trick of videography, light or loose string tension or something else?

When I'm playing/recording I can hear the tuning difference and it often bothers me but I don't distort the string nearly as much as folk like
this fellow for instance...
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: DUMB BASS QUESTION

Post by Greg_L »

I notice this too from people that want to be or claim to be bass masters. They think their out of tune vibrato is fancy or something. Often their bass antics are accompanied by the ugly cousin of the blues face - the bass face. It's just bass, dude. Keep it tight, keep it steady. That's your job.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:06 am It's just bass, dude. Keep it tight, keep it steady. That's your job.
Yup. I've always thought Krist Novoselic was a really underrated bassist.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:06 am I notice this too from people that want to be or claim to be bass masters. They think their out of tune vibrato is fancy or something. Often their bass antics are accompanied by the ugly cousin of the blues face - the bass face. It's just bass, dude. Keep it tight, keep it steady. That's your job.
At least with bass, it's not as big of a leap when you photoshop out their instrument and replace it with a giant fish.
Altho, I guess the meme is actually slugs.

That guy in the video is pretty over-the-top. It's like he can't decide if he's Mudvayne's weirdo bassist or a guitar god.

I guess if there's no guitar, the bending thing makes more sense. The bass is the lead instrument, so melodic flourishes like that work.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I find solo bass vids have little to do with anything about playing bass in a band.
Most of that stuff would just lose the groove and get you fired.

But solo bass is a real thing for some and I don't have a problem with the bending when he's a solo instrument ..... just trying to have some expression and that's one way to do it.

Another is to play something besides bass since in a band setting you're a very important part of the rhythm laying things down for vocalists and other instruments to shine over.
You're not supposed to shine for the most part ...... you're to hold everything together.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Geddy is not a looker at the best of times.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Don't know who the girl is but she appears to be playing an open E string, the easiest of all notes... Not much to get bass facey about there, although perhaps she was doing something difficult the note before.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I was editing a video last week and I caught myself doing the vibrato thing on bass after the fact. I don't even realize I'm doing it at the time. I think it's just force of habit from doing it on guitar any time I'm playing single notes. So at least in my case, it's "guitar player trying to play bass" syndrome.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:09 am Yes, indeed.

I've watched A LOT of bass player YouTube videos this year...partly to fill in my day in isolation and partly to see/hear what bass players have/do/sound like.

I've noticed quite a lot of bassists ON YOUTUBE bend their strings almost as a matter of course...not just to alter a note but they seem to be heavy handed and pull down the string constantly when fretting and/or striking/plucking/picking.

Is this a trick of videography, light or loose string tension or something else?

When I'm playing/recording I can hear the tuning difference and it often bothers me but I don't distort the string nearly as much as folk like
this fellow for instance...
Interesting definition as he's running through the machine's specs... "headphone in" - I would have called it a "headphone out"...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:39 pm Don't know who the girl is
Este Haim. Nearly permanent bass face.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

It is part of the playing alone thing I suppose...frame rates would emphasize some of it too.
There are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many of them and so few are actually entertaining or educational that I wonder how the proliferation occurred...lock down?

I recall tuning my bass, as a teen, by holding the string in front of a distant television tuned to white noise and plucking the string...the wave was clear to see. Don't know if it's still visible without a cathode ray tube.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:12 am Image
I remember the first time i saw Haim on SNL i wasn't entirely sure if that her bass face was like some kind of "hey we are network TV i am going to be silly and do something people will talk about for years ot come" or what.

Nope. That's her all the time bass face. :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

She gets pissed off by people commenting on her bass face saying, “you wouldn’t say that about a man.”

Uh...yes. Yes we would.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:03 am She gets pissed off by people commenting on her bass face saying, “you wouldn’t say that about a man.”

Uh...yes. Yes we would.
Indeed we are!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:28 am
Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:06 am I notice this too from people that want to be or claim to be bass masters. They think their out of tune vibrato is fancy or something. Often their bass antics are accompanied by the ugly cousin of the blues face - the bass face. It's just bass, dude. Keep it tight, keep it steady. That's your job.
At least with bass, it's not as big of a leap when you photoshop out their instrument and replace it with a giant fish.
Altho, I guess the meme is actually slugs.
I do like the one of John Mayer... 'cos he's got this look on his face like he's just looked down and is shocked that his guitar turned into a slug while he was singing a few lines, like "Oh my fucking god, what just happened!"
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:14 am
Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:06 am It's just bass, dude. Keep it tight, keep it steady. That's your job.
I suspect part of that is the expectation that he just hammers the root but he was far more harmony based in that early band of his.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:43 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:14 am
I suspect part of that is the expectation that he just hammers the root but he was far more harmony based in that early band of his.
Yeah, his basslines were often quite interesting. They're just rarely flashy at all!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:03 am She gets pissed off by people commenting on her bass face saying, “you wouldn’t say that about a man.”

Uh...yes. Yes we would.
My making fun of bass face knows no gender identity. Her bass face is ridiculous, bordering on satire, like she's doing it over the top on purpose. Man or woman or whatever they go by in between, her bass face deserves to be laughed at.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Robert Trujillo is always good for a bass face