ordered this stuff

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

ordered this stuff

Post by Lt. Bob »

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/p ... distortion

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/p ... -overdrive

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/p ... nics-trill

I have plenty of dirt boxes and yet, every single one of the things has it's own sound and none of mine are quite perfect and these arfe pretty cheap so we'll see.

And the trem pedal is because I don't have a trem pedal.
I do have the gRamp which has the amazing gregelo but my 18 watt has none nor does my Mark V and I'm kinda into it since I've been using the gRamp.
Greg_L

Re: ordered this stuff

Post by Greg_L »

Damn you gonna be building some kits!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:04 pm Damn you gonna be building some kits!
yeah ..... I've done a couple and they resulted in my favorite compressor, even over the Xotic SP and a really nice OD so I'm hopeful these will be cool
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Damn good price if you get something usable out of them. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:34 pm
yeah ..... I've done a couple and they resulted in my favorite compressor, even over the Xotic SP and a really nice OD so I'm hopeful these will be cool
Well I fully support this decision. Rock that shit. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Interesting that the circuits are not on a PCB. What's that material called...a terminal strip? Plus some "dead bug"-style arrangements, where the components are just attached onto the next by their "legs".
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 am Plus some "dead bug"-style arrangements, where the components are just attached onto the next by their "legs".
That's actual point-to-point wiring.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:34 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:04 pm Damn you gonna be building some kits!
This is cool!

I feel like there's a personal aspect of it where when you build/modify your own tool, you feel more attached to it.

When I was shopping for cab sim pedals, I found a used one that was pretty highly recommended, but I ended up paying more for the lower-quality Chinese pedal because i wanted to load my cabinets into it!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:22 am

I feel like there's a personal aspect of it where when you build/modify your own tool, you feel more attached to it.

I think that's spot-on.

To me the personal connection aspect is a big one ..... maybe because I've owned everything there is to own and after a while simply laying down bucks and buying something has little meaning. I'm at a point where if I want something I buy it ..... really doesn't matter how much it costs ..... can't take that money to the bone orchard.

And yet oddly, being able to buy whatever I want kinda lessens my desire for buying stuff and makes me look for additional positives to get more stuff.
I have an almost shocking amount of gear ..... one of these days I'm gonna list it .... ya'll will go "shit that's a lotta gear!"

Kinda like when you see greg's Marshall collection .... just over the top and I love gear .... can't have too much ...... except I sorta do.
I'm at the end stage of getting gear and having those pedals I built and the guitar metalhead built and the amps greg built .... any of my other stuff could be bought by anyone ..... but those are the only ones on Earth.

And when you build it and it's awesome ..... that's a way different thing than buying it and it's awesome ...... if you buy it and it's great your reaction is "so what? better be ...... I paid good money for that" ... lol

I have a significant amount of gear that I have a personal connection to.
My Stinnett was built by a guy I knew from A&A and it's the best guitar I've ever had and it was totally built to my requests.
But part of it being awesome must be that what's-his-name built it while I waited for a year getting emails to choose woods and what not.

My two amps Greg built for me are two of the best amps I've ever had and the gRamp is actually one of the best amps ANYone's ever had!
Greg will confirm this!

And yes, they are great amps but it's also that a friend built them ..... I just smile ever time I see his sig on the front panel.
Actually I was bummed there was nowhere for him to sign the 18 watt and I have a few ideas of how to make that happen.

Playing music is an intensely personal thing ....... makes sense that having some personal connection to the gear you use impacts that.

Also building stuff is fun ..... well, that part where you read right after soldering something that you have to wait to solder that or the wires might not reach is irritating ..... lol ....... but mostly fun.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

FUNNN!!!!!

man enjoy those Lt.

Agreed on the DIY thing. My tele isn't perfect and it has it quirks and wrinkles that need ironing, but I don't think I have touched any of my other guitars since I finished it. No that is a lie, I play my acustic lots and my LP Jr. I just love my tele kit way too much. I really need to address some of the really nasty fret buzzing. NO doubt i did something wrong or the neck just needed some tension on it for a while to work out the bugs but yea.

As @vomitHatSteve mentioned The things we put some sweat equity into tend to be a bigger part of us at the end of the day.
:happytrees: