Basses - Spot The Difference

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Basses - Spot The Difference

Post by JD01 »

OK, this is a bass that a mate of mine owns:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-jmj- ... s-rw-black
Albeit, his was a cool bluish colour.

We used to live together in Bristol so I could play on it whenever I wanted, its the nicest bass I've ever played on by far. I could genuinely enjoy playing bass on it... as opposed to playing bass to get the bassline done so I could go back to playing guitar. Its fucking expensive.

This appears to be really very, very similar
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-vint ... foam-green
Albeit, not reclict. I don't care either way about relicing.
Now, I'm not sure that I want to spent 800 quid on a bass, let alone over a grand!

I note that they're both in the same shop (PMT) which has a branch in Bristol. If they have them both in stock there I may be able to play them back to back and see if there's a notable difference in feel. Can anyone see a notable difference in spec?

I'm basically a guitarist that plays bass for recording - I can't see a disadvantage in me getting a short-scale bass.
rayc

Re: Basses - Spot The Difference

Post by rayc »

Short scale basses are easy & fun I started on one and I still have one. Those prices are neither though.
That's a hefty tag but if you like it & can afford it ...why not?
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I can afford it at the moment... but I don't have an overwhelming urge to empty my savings account. I'm also hoping to get a new guitar.
rayc

Post by rayc »

The difference are the fingerboard rosewood versus a cheaper alternative, the nut width is greater on the more expensive one and it has a kilo more weight for shipping...can't tell if it's the bass though.
It'd be a hands on decision for you since you have experience of one and will "know" straight away.
I'm still happily using a bass I paid AUS$108, with hard case, for in 1981 so I'm not able to help.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

There also appears to be a thumb rest if that's important to you.

800 is a lot for a shortscale. Either way, it's going to be important to get the setup correct. Because of the scaling, tuning those things can be a right bastard.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 am I can't see a disadvantage in me getting a short-scale bass.
There isn't one. Short scale basses are easy and fun to play.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:29 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 am I can't see a disadvantage in me getting a short-scale bass.
Yep.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:29 pm
well, except for them not sounding good because of the need to put more mass in the windings to get enough mass because of the short scale which leads to some bad overtone issues.

If what you want is that sound then they're aight but personally I don't find them capable of a really good bass sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:17 pm
well, except for them not sounding good because of the need to put more mass in the windings to get enough mass because of the short scale which leads to some bad overtone issues.

If what you want is that sound then they're aight but personally I don't find them capable of a really good bass sound.
It depends on what you want as a bass sound. If you want low fluffy rumbling bass, then no, short scales aren't that. If you want tight midrangey bass with detail then they're good.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

short scale basses are the pointy guitars of the bass world!
Farview

Post by Farview »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:40 am short scale basses are the pointy guitars of the bass world!
So that means that they are awesome?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:40 am short scale basses are the pointy guitars of the bass world!
:lollers2:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm short - I started with a short scale. I moved on to standard about seven years later. THEN my short scale was nicked and I started looking for a nice shortie for about 35 years. I ALMOST bought the make make n model as I originally had but being charged more than triple the original price for one that was in poor condition I balked. half a dozens years back Kim bought me a short Hofner knock-off and I now have one that can just be in the room and be bashed PLUS get a fairly tight, punchy sound if needed.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:41 am I'm short - I started with a short scale. I moved on to standard about seven years later. THEN my short scale was nicked and I started looking for a nice shortie for about 35 years. I ALMOST bought the make make n model as I originally had but being charged more than triple the original price for one that was in poor condition I balked. half a dozens years back Kim bought me a short Hofner knock-off and I now have one that can just be in the room and be bashed PLUS get a fairly tight, punchy sound if needed.
What was the bass you played in Obnoxious Gases? It didn’t sound like a Hofner at all.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:03 am
rayc wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:41 am I'm short - I started with a short scale. I moved on to standard about seven years later. THEN my short scale was nicked and I started looking for a nice shortie for about 35 years. I ALMOST bought the make make n model as I originally had but being charged more than triple the original price for one that was in poor condition I balked. half a dozens years back Kim bought me a short Hofner knock-off and I now have one that can just be in the room and be bashed PLUS get a fairly tight, punchy sound if needed.
What was the bass you played in Obnoxious Gases? It didn’t sound like a Hofner at all.
Nope, for the needed tone I used my 1981 Vantage...full scale, round wounds, into a BDI21 and some overdrive added in Reaper.
vantage bass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol no way man. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 am
Lol no way man. :lollers2:
lol ..... they kinda are ..... the main people who like short scale basses aren't bass players first.
They're mostly guitar players who want them because they're easy for a guitar player to play.

Before I go any further let me say that these things are a matter of all taste and absolutely no one should do or not do anything bassed (har) on anything I think.

But I've played bass for a good 55 years and played nothing but bass in bands for maybe 20 years of that and I've tried several short scalers.
I've got a friend with an original Hofner that's the only bass he's ever used and it's the model that short scale lovers lust after.
It does one thing and one thing only ...... sounds like a hofner.

Now, if that's the sound you want then nothing else will do it and you guys know I'm dead set against 'rules' in music so go short scale if you want and mention me when you post songs that have what you think are awesome short scale tonez.
But when I was a full time bassist I tried them .... hated them enough to throw away a Les Paul bass. :eep: :lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's just a bass. A short scale bass still sounds like a bass. It's a bass.

I don't have a short scale bass, but I do like them. They are easier to play. That's the appeal. Who cares what "actual bass players" play? Since when does anyone give a fuck what a bass player thinks? :lollers2:

But on that topic there's no shortage of famous bassists that made their name playing short scale basses.

And most of them look pretty cool. Jaguar basses, SG basses, Les Paul basses, even the stupid Beatle bass. They look and sound great.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:31 pm even the stupid Beatle bass.
Oi, don’t you be calling my Beatle bass stupid :mad3: :biggrin:
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:34 pm

Oi, don’t you be calling my Beatle bass stupid :mad3: :biggrin:
It's only stupid because it's permanently linked with the Beatles. It's been typecast. It's The Fonz of basses. No matter what Henry Winkler does he's always The Fonz. That's the beatle bass. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell